Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2009, 22:40   #31

Boat: just my arms and legs
Send a message via ICQ to AtomicPhil Send a message via AIM to AtomicPhil Send a message via MSN to AtomicPhil Send a message via Yahoo to AtomicPhil Send a message via Skype™ to AtomicPhil
use those gun-spears used for spear fishing. and or a machete.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:49   #32

Them Vikings !

Some Danish ships have taken to using razor barbed wire around their bulwarks to deter pirates. It is working well so far — until pirates take to launching rolls of carpet from roll end sales over the wire.

Sail-World.com : Razor Barbed wire found to deter pirates

Not impossible on a multi-hull – but admittedly not easy to lay out, or fold up and put away. A second set of outer stanchions might do the job ? Chain mail gauntlets for putting the stuff away ???
Old 06-08-2009, 12:16   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I did my internship with Maersk. Just offer the pirates some of the food. Problem solved.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 06-08-2009, 13:56   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Some Danish ships have taken to using razor barbed wire around their bulwarks to deter pirates. It is working well so far — until pirates take to launching rolls of carpet from roll end sales over the wire.
Or if they have shoulder fired rockets or automatic weapons. Piracy is at it's historical heart is about "overwhelming force". If you even had a chance they wouldn't show up.

Barbed wire works well for children until the pirate fathers find out. They bring gasoline.
Old 06-08-2009, 14:51   #35

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Whether to carry a gun is a personnal question of choice. Do you carry a gun while in your neighborhood? The US is much more dangerous. Are you ready to use your gun (loaded, cocked and ready to kill) before a situation deteriorates to the point that your life is in jeopardy?
Don't think so. At least I hope not.
I sailed singlehanded down the west coast of Mexico to Panama with stops at numerous harbors along the way, including El Salvador and Costa Rico. After staying on both sides of Panama and in the middle for three months, I visited The Caymans, Jamacia, DR and PR before the Virgins and the Eastern Caribbean and Trinidad. I then spent the next seven years island hopping to the Virgins and back to Trinidad where I spent six months during the Hurricane seasons. I always anchored out, I always left my hatches open during the night. Most times I never locked my dinghy.
I NEVER had any problems!
I had numeious Positive experiences with the local population of all ages. This was an unexpected enjoyable part of my cruising adventure, and I'm glad that I made the effort.
As a foreigner if you display a weapon for ANY reason in some other country you will learn that the US Dept. of Homeland Security is bunch of boy scouts, by comparision. You must declare your weapon when you check into any country, failure to do so can jeperdize your ownership of your boat, your choice.
IMHO if you feel you must arm yourself, if you are scared for your safety, for heaven sakes stay home! You, me, and the rest of the people out here will be more happy.
John
Old 06-08-2009, 15:33   #36

Boat: No Boat right now :-(
Send a message via ICQ to Endojoe Send a message via AIM to Endojoe Send a message via MSN to Endojoe Send a message via Yahoo to Endojoe Send a message via Skype™ to Endojoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
Misspent youth or Anarchists Cookbook

http://anarchistcookbook.com/
Ya...had a copy handy for most of my misspent youth.... Never could get that homemade Thermite Recipe to come out right though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I did my internship with Maersk. Just offer the pirates some of the food. Problem solved.
So I would be correct in extrapilating from the above statement that you as a crew were instructed to not resist the pirates, make them comfortable, and let the company sort out the ransom? Just curious....
Old 06-08-2009, 16:02   #37
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
No, I think David's saying that if the pirates had to eat Maersk food, they'd immediately surrender and sign an affadavit relinquishing their piratical endeavors forever.
Old 06-08-2009, 16:29   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
It would be funnier than hell to see you walking through the Texas airport saying "Where do I check this gun it?"

On a more positive note: We just had a screen door custom made for the companionway. (Note the curves at the bottom!) It only cost AU$80 and the boat is secure.

Then when the impoverished kids are looking for food on the boat one can give them the finger instead of blowing their heads off

Mark
if you really think that that fragile little screen will keep out a criminal that intends to rob and harm you then you are totally deluded..

I have yet to see a sailboat hatch and door that could not be easially opened with a simple hammer and crow bar.
Old 06-08-2009, 19:39   #39

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I love these gun threads.
Old 06-08-2009, 19:42   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
No, I think David's saying that if the pirates had to eat Maersk food, they'd immediately surrender and sign an affadavit relinquishing their piratical endeavors forever.
My thoughts exactly Hud. I don't really know if it was Danish food or Maersk food or both...it was blander than watered down baby food. Gawd I sure hope I don't offend anyone. To be fair though, I am the kind of person who loves Thai food.

Old 06-08-2009, 19:46   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok since this gun thread has pretty much exhausted itself...like they all eventually do (that's if they don't get shut down first).

So lets change things a little...

Who likes gun threads?

Who dislikes gun threads?

Why?

Personally, I like guns and own two of them. I do get tired of these gun threads though. The reason is mostly the repetition and then some of the sometimes bizarre and unrealistic ideas for protecting oneself. Not yours Mark J....I think all angry wives should be caged in.

Old 06-08-2009, 20:24   #42

Confusion

How about a hologram projector, with surround sound, that displays anything you want, from UFO's and ghosts to helicopters and submarines. A cruise ship travelling slowly with bands and banquets as a decoy...

Do they cost very much?

"Musion Eyeliner is a high definition 3D holographic video projection system allowing a spectacular 3-dimensional moving life-size hologram to appear within a live stage setting using Peppers Ghost technology. Eyeliner brings dramatic, previously unseen 21st century video film effects to live events, including audiovisual artistic performances, conference or trade show presentations, retail displays and large-scale digital signage."

Another one: "Airborne Holographic Projector

Brief Description
The holographic projector displays a three-dimensional visual image in a desired location, removed from the display generator. The projector can be used for psychological operations and strategic perception management. It is also useful for optical deception and cloaking, providing a momentary distraction when engaging an unsophisticated adversary.

Capabilities
Precision projection of 3-D visual images into a selected area
Supports PSYOP and strategic deception management
Provides deception and cloaking against optical sensors

Enabling Technologies (MCTL)" 

If you know what that means you can talk the pirates out of the whole idea.
Guns not needed.
Old 06-08-2009, 20:42   #43

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Wade View Post
How about a hologram projector, with surround sound, that displays anything you want, from UFO's and ghosts to helicopters and submarines. A cruise ship travelling slowly with bands and banquets as a decoy...

Do they cost very much?

"Musion Eyeliner is a high definition 3D holographic video projection system allowing a spectacular 3-dimensional moving life-size hologram to appear within a live stage setting using Peppers Ghost technology. Eyeliner brings dramatic, previously unseen 21st century video film effects to live events, including audiovisual artistic performances, conference or trade show presentations, retail displays and large-scale digital signage."

Another one: "Airborne Holographic Projector

Brief Description
The holographic projector displays a three-dimensional visual image in a desired location, removed from the display generator. The projector can be used for psychological operations and strategic perception management. It is also useful for optical deception and cloaking, providing a momentary distraction when engaging an unsophisticated adversary.

Capabilities
Precision projection of 3-D visual images into a selected area
Supports PSYOP and strategic deception management
Provides deception and cloaking against optical sensors

Enabling Technologies (MCTL)" 

If you know what that means you can talk the pirates out of the whole idea. Guns not needed.
I like it! It's sort of my old notion of a recording of a barking viscious dog linked into a cockpit sensor of some sort, on steroids. The belief in the spirit world still exists in most third world countries, and with a little imagination...
Old 03-09-2009, 14:12   #44

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
My personal solution

Yesterday while I was buying a life raft I noticed the marine supply store had a Czech 26.5 mm flare pistol and some blue smoke flares, which I picked up.
So now I figure if I'm boarded by bad guys I'll pull a Braveheart and shoot myself with a blue smoke flare and start screaming FREEDOM.
Old 03-09-2009, 14:25   #45

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
I think the option of protection from a legally owned gun aboard is not available to many and even less would be willing to adopt it. I legally own several shotguns and wouldnt hesitate to use one in self defense but to stand any chance of surviving a court trial afterwards, the circumstances would need to be precise and exceptional to justify the use as seen by a British court. Having said that, its most unlikely to need to use one in British waters and even riskier to carry one when sailing beyond the 12 mile limit. Legal or not, other countries dont like gun running. But, I still say, I would rather shoot first and do 5 years for manslaughter than be dead for the rest of my life. Being aware of risk and avoiding it is still the best policy.

Tags
Guns