Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-03-2013, 07:32   #1

Location: wherever the boat is -- Jacksonville FL for hurricane season
Boat: Pearson 365 ketch sailboat, 36.5'
Question Carpal tunnel & trigger finger -- where to get treatment?

December 2012, after 6 months of persistent numbness in my fingers, then the added pain of "trigger finger" in my right thumb prompted me to get diagnosis and treatment in Antigua.

The doctor's visit for diagnosis, cortisone shot and Voltaren together cost $400 -- all out of pocket as I'm uninsured. It helped.

But now, it's back. I'm stalling for time until June when I have medical insurance in Florida. Figuring I can get a max of 1-2 more cortisone shots and then likely get surgery if it reoccurs. I will also consider alternative such as acupuncture when in Florida.

Can anyone recommend whether it's more affordable to get cortisone shots in St. Thomas, versus Puerto Rico, Turks and Caicos, the Bahamas or if I can tough it out until covered in Florida, to just wait?

Thanks!

Old 22-03-2013, 07:35   #2

Re: Carpal tunnel & trigger finger -- where to get treatment?

Not to answer your question... but having had carpal tunnel myself, you need to get surgery ASAP.

My limited observations: I got surgery as soon as I could, and it worked spectacularly and haven't had any trouble since. My friend went on for a year or more, putting the surgery off, finally had the surgery done and she is still having some trouble.

If your trouble is CT, it's an outpatient thing with local anesthesia. A couple of $400 treatments might buy you a plane ticket to FL and you'd be done with it.

Old 22-03-2013, 07:49   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i have carpal tunnel and dequervains tendon synovitis.
i alllowed the md to give m eone and only one cortisone injection. no on etouches my thumbs again ever.

resting the wrist by using splints works...my momma had the surgery and still has ct, only much worse...
.i dont recommend surgery for inflammatory processes. ct is an inflammatory process that occurs from repetitive use of those tendons, ligaments and muscles. the tunnel constricts through which the nerves pass, and then you dont have use of wrist.
do that which you will do---good luck.
mine reversed well without surgery, and all i have to mess with me is the dequervains tendon thing which causes atrophy of th e bae of thumb. is a lot of fun. but carpal tunnel went completely gone. without surgery.
why do folks always run tot he surgeon to cut whatever is wrong instead of resting the area until the swelling from the inflammation is diminished. does not make sense.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 07:54   #4

I had trigger thumb about 5 years ago. Dr said it probably needed surgery, but I could try a cortisone shot if I wanted. I took the shot and have not had any more problem with the thumb, but I am starting to have the same feelings in 2 fingers of the same hand. I will be going to the Dr soon , and hope a simple shot fixes it. It doesnt always require surgery.Just my 2 cents worth.____Grant.
Old 22-03-2013, 08:06   #5
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

guess everyone's hands are different

I have a trigger finger that sticks and hunts, always a little and some times a lot. I've had it for 7 years now. Got the shot once; all that did was make my hand hurt more till the shot pain went away.

Doctor says, it is easy to "fix" we will go in and cut that tendon. No thanks!
Old 22-03-2013, 08:50   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

one thing about surgery--it is not reversible when you find out the range of motion and strength of that body part is nil or much less than before surgery. lovely for sailors.

my thumbs were injected--only once, as i screamed like a girl and fired the rheumatologist who did my work--then re hired her as she is best in lost angeles, where i worked at the time.

we are all in ahurry to treat symptoms, and ignore the underlying problem. yeah, pain will change with surgery. wont be gone by any stretch. will change, certainly.

so will your ability to use that extremity. you will notice a difference post surgery--momma did--she didnt like what happened--she still has to wear the damsplint, she still has to watch how she moves her paws, and she still has limited strength post operatively, now many years after her surgical experience.
Old 22-03-2013, 09:18   #7

My husband had carpel tunnel surgery on both hands two years ago(at the same time). Totally incapacitated him for the first day or two (don't ask what all I had to do for him) - but sooo very much worth it. Got it over with all at once and he has had no problems since. Fantastic results.
Old 22-03-2013, 09:35   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

the wonders of modern surgical medicine--nothing is written in stone--some have success some fail...all same treatment....i have seen as many fail as i have seen succeed--but the risk is still there and is much easier on the body to wait until the swelling is diminished before making a decision that could well turn out to not be correct for the circumstances.....
Old 22-03-2013, 09:50   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm a guitar player, and in the aging guitar player community I hear nothing but good things about the carpal surgury. There are some new options out there I think also.... using microwaves or something like that....?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 10:08   #10

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I'm a guitar player, and in the aging guitar player community I hear nothing but good things about the carpal surgury. There are some new options out there I think also.... using microwaves or something like that....?
Ditto - me too! My middle finger on my left hand locks in place now! Playing guitar is not as much fun as it used to be......but what else is new - at 63, nothing is as fun as it used to be!
I've used the Knox geletin treatment in the past and it helps lubricate the joints. Time to try it again
Old 22-03-2013, 10:12   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, I've got some prescription gel for my hands. At 65 my playing days are getting short. I broke my little finger on (of course) my left hand last year. It clumks when I bend it now and wont bend as well as the other one... arghh. My "hot licks" are getting less hot all the time!

Old 22-03-2013, 10:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, I've got some prescription gel for my hands. At 65 my playing days are getting short. I broke my little finger on (of course) my left hand last year. It clumks when I bend it now and wont bend as well as the other one... arghh. My "hot licks" are getting less hot all the time!
I just bought a new Taylor - the easiest acoustic I've ever played! But the Arthur in my hands didn't justify the expense of the new guitar. I've got some Voltaren gel which helps if I can remember to use it.
A buddy of mine has the same problem and went for the surgery last week - simple enough procedure - we'll see how it goes with him.what's next?
Old 22-03-2013, 10:47   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Talk about thread drift!... sorry

I almost bought a Taylor a couple weeks ago, just couldnt get my self to spend that much but the high end ones are super nice. Did pick this up though!

Old 22-03-2013, 11:14   #14

That's a dandy! Guilds are good!
I still like my 35 year old Yamaha FG 180 red lable - it's starting to look like Willie Nelson's Martin.
Good boat guitar - the Japs varnished them inside & out when they built them and they hold up to most any weather. It was worn out when I got it - still plays as good as any Martin and cost me $100. My new Taylor doesnt play any better just sounds different and cost more than I'm willing to admit to!
Old 22-03-2013, 18:00   #15

Location: wherever the boat is -- Jacksonville FL for hurricane season
Boat: Pearson 365 ketch sailboat, 36.5'
Question Re: Carpal tunnel & trigger finger -- where to get treatment?

Ummm... Thanks for all the great feedback -- and clearly there should be a separate thread for guitar players!

Errr, no one really answered my question, which is
Where's the cheapest competent place to get interim treatment, between St. Thomas and Florida?
St Thomas?
Puerto Rico?
Turks & Caicos?
The Bahamas?

To recap
I did have good enough temporary relief from a cortisone shot to consider it again. I realize for some folks that wasn't a good solution.
For now, I'm just looking to buy myself more time until I can look into longer lasting solutions.

I won't have insurance until me or my husband have employer coverage in June, so just flying to Florida prior is not in my budget. I'm looking for ways I can tough it out in the interim.

Thanks and again appreciate all the feedback, hearing what did and didn't work for others. Not surprised much of those experiences contradict each other.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: