Originally Posted by boatpoker
Most don't realize how common CO poisoning
is because the symptoms are almost identical to those of seasickness.
To be honest, I am a survivor of carbon monoxide poisoning. Another 2-3 minutes and it would have been too late for me. When you are dozing or relaxing it starts with a pleasant feeling of feeling even more relaxed, which then turns into a sensation of heaviness in your arms and limbs. (I had no nausea at all ... that came hours later and the next day).
At the point that you experience the "heaviness" in your limbs it approaches a dangerous point where you are incapacitated and unable to do anything about it. At this point, even if you were realising that something is wrong, you have almost no chance of saving yourself. If you're asleep and overcome by the carbon monoxide you stand no chance whatsoever.
Now go and check your boats folks.