Although CO poisoning is a very serious concern for boaters due to the confined space, use of generators, engines, heaters and who knows what else, I now conclude that in my case it was very unlikely. Since we returned with a CO detector, we spent many hours inside the cabin
with no ill effects, and no alarms, while the heater ran for hours. It appears the episode is possibly a "transient global amnesia" which is considered a one time virtually harmless episode of unknown origin, or possibly a migraine related episode of some kind. I have no history
of anything which would explain it, am otherwise healthy, and am both surprised and terrified such an event can occur with no warning and no known history
. It may never happen again, but I have opted to see a neurologist for a consult, and see where to go from here. It certainly brought the dangers of CO poisoning to my attention, however, and I will be putting both CO and propane
sniffers on the boat.