Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 14:15   #61

Boat: Still saving up for the next one!
Re: Can You Share Your Medical Experiences Outside the United States or Europe?

Hey there,

I teach English in Brazil (many of my students are doctors) and emergency treatment is free for anybody, even for tourists. I had severe abdominal pain once and was taken to hospital in an ambulance treated really well and it cost absolutely nothing. I also hurt my hand and the X-ray and even the prescribed painkillers and anti-inflammatories were free.

The private health care industry is booming and offers state-of-the-art techniques for all types of intervention (including joint replacement and heart surgery) at a great price. For example I operated both my eyes by laser (to correct short sight and a stigmatism) and paid just over US$ 1,100. Now I'm saving up to get full dental implants (Yeah no more toothache onboard or squinting through salty glasses!!!) and that will cost in the region of US$ 3,000.

I'm not sure how that compares with other countries, but at least you have an idea of costs here.
Freddy_Vagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 19:53   #62

I just went to the dentist in San Diego to have all my teeth pulled and get dentures.

They quoted me over $2500 I said I would think about it . On the boat looking at the estimate paper and I noticed they had my FICA Score on then and I called the dentist found out they did a hard credit hit on me not a soft one. I asked how they could do it without my permission and they said it was in the paperwork I filled out and guess I didn't see the small print.

Here it is all about money. They wont be getting my business.
shorebird2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 20:14   #63
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird2 View Post
I just went to the dentist in San Diego to have all my teeth pulled and get dentures.

They quoted me over $2500 I said I would think about it . On the boat looking at the estimate paper and I noticed they had my FICA Score on then and I called the dentist found out they did a hard credit hit on me not a soft one. I asked how they could do it without my permission and they said it was in the paperwork I filled out and guess I didn't see the small print.

Here it is all about money. They wont be getting my business.

Were they going to accept payments over time? If so, it was reasonable. if you weren't going to pay over time it's really, really creepy.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 20:39   #64

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Try Tijuana. My dental work in Ensenada was 1/6th the price of San Luis Obispo, Ca.
Old 08-11-2012, 21:01   #65

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

next time I see my friend here I'll ask him
Steve W
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smile.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	49445  
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 23:29   #66

My wife just had an ultrasound and visit with an obgyn here in Ensenada, Mexico. Cost $38 or so. Service was great. I love the USA but our healthcare costs are a joke. Doctors and hospitals (collectively called "providers") charge so much it's obscene. Zero transparency in costs. Medical service in the US is basically the only aspect of our culture where you get service before you know how much it will cost and very few people are doing cost comparisons before they go somewhere. Everyone thinks more money = better. Too bad our nation is obese, cancer ridden, and riddled with chronic illness while sucking down bottles of pills to combat it all.

I have some pictures of our doctor visit from last night here:

https://plus.google.com/114890831955...ts/3DJ5Mvicyiu
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:11   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

I have some pictures of our doctor visit from last night here:

https://plus.google.com/114890831955...ts/3DJ5Mvicyiu
Charlotte is looking just beautiful!
Is it a month to go?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:27   #68

Boat: Still saving up for the next one!
Talking Re: Can You Share Your Medical Experiences Outside the United States or Europe?

Hi,

Well I just read someone got a quote of US$ 2500 for "dentures".

In São Paulo, Brazil I plan to get "implants" for US$ 3,000. So shop around, there are good deals out there.

BTW, I watched the "Sicko" movie by John Moore on YouTube and was really shocked. I had no idea that things were so bad in the USA.
Freddy_Vagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:59   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Charlotte is looking just beautiful!
Is it a month to go?
Due date is Valentines Day, but we want to be in La Cruz well before Christmas. Need to let these miserable little storms pass over so we can get back to moving again.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:08   #70

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Vagner View Post
Now I'm saving up to get full dental implants (Yeah no more toothache onboard or squinting through salty glasses!!!) and that will cost in the region of US$ 3,000.

I'm not sure how that compares with other countries, but at least you have an idea of costs here.
How many implants are you getting and does that include the removable bridge?
Received a quote here a few months ago. To extract 1/2 a dozen upper teeth, 3 implants (I have one already) and a removable bridge was going to be $8,000.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:01   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Don't want to start a political arguement. We collectively had the opportunity to change (improve?) things 4 years ago. Our leaders failed to address or even recognize the root problem. That is, why does it cost 6 to 10X anywhere else on earth for healt care here. They only kicked that can down the road and shifted the cost burden and distribution of the existing system while creating a new massive federal program. We have reached the point where, to retire, we may need to live off-shore and pay out of pocket until we reach Medicare age - if it still is functional at that time. What I can't figure out is if even living outside of the US will we need to pay into this system? My check into the insurance costs is 20% of our gross income and it will not cover my "pre-existing conditions". BTW, pre-existing conditions are what happens to all of us if we live much past 50.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:32   #72

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Vagner View Post
Hi,

Well I just read someone got a quote of US$ 2500 for "dentures".

In São Paulo, Brazil I plan to get "implants" for US$ 3,000. So shop around, there are good deals out there.

BTW, I watched the "Sicko" movie by John Moore on YouTube and was really shocked. I had no idea that things were so bad in the USA.
I looked for the video and could not find. Could you post the link to the video
Old 11-11-2012, 19:24   #73

When the dentist said I should get my teeth pulled and did I want a quote for the plates and I said yes. His assistant by the exam chair on her computer gave me the quote not informing me they were doing a hard credit hit. Then when I left to think a out it I noticed my FICA score on the paper work. I called and they said it was a hard hit not a soft one which gives them the same info but doesn't go against you. When I was in Florida last year for the same quality dentures I was quoted $800.00.

At this point I wouldn't let them brush the dogs teeth
shorebird2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 03:07   #74

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

One of the reasons health care cost is spiraling out of control, is because of the cost of malpractice insurance. In the state of Illinois, there is no cap to jury's award in malpractice suit. An Ob/Gyn physician, with 20+ years of service, pays about $160,000 per year in insurance premiums; adjusted upward twice a year. Obstetricians are leaving Illinois in droves; ditto for nurse midwives. The law allows children up to the age of 18, to sue for malpractice. When you calculate all the overhead (rent, nurses, secretaries, labs, insurance, taxes among others), an Ob/Gyn doctor must make at least $600,000 in revenue to take home $100,000. This is the reason your visit to an Ob/Gyn doctor costs around $250 USD. With states that have caps on malpractice awards, the equation is different, and office visits are somewhat lower. Another factor needs to be mentioned; lab tests. The "standard of care" requires every physician to prescribe every lab test in the book to cover their behind from lawsuits, whether you need it or not. Someone must pay for this; the patient. That is why it cost so much, in the US, to get medical care. It is cheaper overseas, because lawsuits are rare, or seldom winnable.
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 03:40   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

If it makes any you feel any better, I just had some dental work done in Russia. Not in a fancy clinic for expats, but in a regular, walk up five flights of stairs kind of place near the edge of town. Got a digital x-ray and two simple fillings; in and out in less than an hour.

The bill? Equivalent to $420. Yikes! The work was first class, but the cost

Guess I'll do it in the UK next time . . . I'm not much of a consumer of health care services so far (thank God) so unused to this problem . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, medical