Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2009, 19:01   #1

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
British Man Killed by 'Pirates' in Thailand

A British man sailing with his wife off the coast of southern Thailand was allegedly beaten to death and thrown overboard by pirates trying to steal their vessel, Thai police said today.

Last Updated: 4:42PM GMT 24 Mar 2009

Malcolm and Linda Robertson

Police arrested three migrant workers from neighbouring Burma whom they accused of attacking Malcolm Robertson and his wife, Linda, on Monday on their yacht anchored off the coast of Satun, a southern province bordering Malaysia.
"They tried to steal the dinghy and beat Mr Robertson with their fists and hammers until he died," Police Colonel Virat Ohn-song, chief of the La-ngoo district police station, said.

He said police were searching for the body.
The British embassy in Thailand said it was assisting Linda Robertson, who suffered minor injuries.
"We are aware of an attack overnight on a British couple off the coast of Satun in southern Thailand. We are urgently pursuing this case with the Thai police," an embassy spokesman said.
Fishermen had reported the yacht apparently adrift. When police investigated, the three suspects tried to flee in the dinghy and were arrested, Virat said.
Thailand is one of the world's most popular tourist destinations, luring some 14 million tourists annually, with Britain the biggest Western market.

British man 'killed by pirates in Thailand' - Telegraph

More here

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...rown_Off_Yacht

Sad bit of news, my thoughts go out to Linda.

I'll be interested to hear what cruisers in the area have to say on this.
Old 24-03-2009, 20:30   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I cruised Malaysia and Thailand for several months. We never had a problem with people, although we did experience the global Tsunami while we were there.

I did not consider this area to be a dangerous destination.

We always locked Exit Only at night, and we had plenty of pepper spray to shoot out the opening ports if needed. It was never needed.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 21:27   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I have spent time in this area between Songkhla and Satun. I was warned more than once to lock up goods when leaving my hotel room because Burmese were suspected of sneaking over the border into the hotel areas where they could thieve and sneak back into Myanmar. It is truly sad for Linda and my best wishes to her. Although I have never been to Myanmar, I hear life there is very difficult and a great sense of desperation exists.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 21:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I have spent time in this area between Songkhla and Satun. I was warned more than once to lock up goods when leaving my hotel room because Burmese were suspected of sneaking over the border into the hotel areas where they could thieve and sneak back into Myanmar. It is truly sad for Linda and my best wishes to her. Although I have never been to Myanmar, I hear life there is very difficult and a great sense of desperation exists.
What am I missing here?

Sonhkhla and Satun are down the very southern end of Thailand near Malaysia/Langkawi, not Burma/Myanmar.

Songkhla satun - Google Maps

Dave
Old 24-03-2009, 22:06   #5

Here Cat...I'll show you what your missing...Myanmar borders Thailand all the way south to that little area there...although it is 200 miles away, it's still very assessable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bm-map.gif
Views:	210
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	7532  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 25-03-2009, 05:57   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
A truly gruesome crime. There are some further details and video in these two links.

The fact that such awful events get highly visible, worldwide coverage, and we read about them so very infrequently is worth noting. The chances of a cruiser falling victim is very slim indeed. Nonetheless, for the Robertson family, the absolute worst has happened. My condolences to Mrs. Robertson and her children.

ITN - Thai pirate victim's body missing

BBC NEWS | England | Sussex | Boat Briton murdered off Thailand
Old 25-03-2009, 09:07   #7

Boat: Boatless
While I am sure that there are some areas in our home port of Miami that are as dangerous as day sailing in Somalia we find these events distressing as we start our Circumnavigation next week.

We certainly plan to keep the boat locked at night with bars over the hatches. And I plan to buy some pepper spray to augment our defensive armament. I also plan to fit a 150 DB claxton. Does anyone know the brand name of defensive sound devises?

Phil
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 10:11   #8

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
While I am sure that there are some areas in our home port of Miami that are as dangerous as day sailing in Somalia...
Curious what these areas of Miami are, since I sail out of there and never worry about anything (except thunderstorms). pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 13:44   #9

Quote:
Here Cat...I'll show you what your missing...Myanmar borders Thailand all the way south to that little area there...although it is 200 miles away, it's still very assessable
Yeah, thats what I thought and am obviously still missing something.

Roughnecks sneak across border intent on theft

Travel 200 miles to crime area ,(walk, Tuk Tuk, Taxi, they'd want to be cashed up), passing rich pickings at Phuket, Patong etc on way.

Then sneak back 200 miles to cross the border with a dinghy in their pocket.

WTF?? Hows that work?

Makes sense if the border was a couple of miles away.

Dave
Old 25-03-2009, 14:10   #10

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
Cat,
Apparently they were from Myanmar, working as migrant workers in Southern Thailand.
jim
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 14:25   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Yeah, thats what I thought and am obviously still missing something.

Roughnecks sneak across border intent on theft

Travel 200 miles to crime area ,(walk, Tuk Tuk, Taxi, they'd want to be cashed up), passing rich pickings at Phuket, Patong etc on way.

Then sneak back 200 miles to cross the border with a dinghy in their pocket.

WTF?? Hows that work?

Makes sense if the border was a couple of miles away.

Dave
HUD posted some videos that will clear most of this up. I really don't think it is appropriate to debate this in a thread for such a tragic loss as to who, what, where, when and why...
Old 25-03-2009, 14:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimking100 View Post
Cat,
Apparently they were from Myanmar, working as migrant workers in Southern Thailand.
jim
Correct...My apologies if I misled anyone. I was guesstimating on the event prior to HUD's report.
Old 25-03-2009, 16:58   #13

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
I'm sorry if I offend anyone with this post. This is really sad all around. I watched the videos, and I feel for Linda Robertson. Watch the video, and see the murderers...kids. What drove them to this we will never fully understand. I know that a yacht in an incredibly poor area must seem like a space ship... an incredibly wealthy beyond all means haven, with a dingy that could command several YEARS pay for the three of them. I have never experienced their poverty, have never turned to crime to get ahead. I don't know these cruisers, but I wish Malcolm would have had bear spray or even a shotgun available to defend himself. Maybe just showing it would have worked. In this case it seems as though something like this might have mattered. Who knows, and it wont bring him back. The dingy wasn't worth it for any of them...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 18:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimking100 View Post
Cat,
jim
Yep, no issue with that explanation at all, just though Celestials explanation was just plain wrong.
Quote:
I was warned more than once to lock up goods when leaving my hotel room because Burmese were suspected of sneaking over the border into the hotel areas where they could thieve and sneak back into Myanmar.
thats a big sneak

Dave
Old 25-03-2009, 18:12   #15

Quote:
Correct...My apologies if I misled anyone. I was guesstimating on the event prior to HUD's report.
Fair cop

Dave

Tags
Thailand