Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2018, 01:27   #196

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CascadeThumper View Post
A 'must avoid' area is Wash. D.C. It's a swamp full of pirates.
Isn't the White House in Washington DC?

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 02:19   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I may have gotten the name not quite right but he was a legendary barge man who worked the Mississippi long before engines.. they would pole and haul their way up with cargo then come back down with goods from the opening territories.. a sort of Davy Crocket of the water.
It is getting on 60yrs since I read those books..
Not trying to argue just find this interesting and I grew up reading the same stories.

Though I've never hear Huck Finn described as Davy Crockett of the water. Great stories but might be time to re-read them. Huck was a kid/young man prone to getting into trouble and tricking his way out of it. Direct confrontation was not his style. He would be more prone to run from a fight. Davy was a man's man who would meet any confrontation head on fighting indians and wrassling bears with his bare hands.

The standard practice was to build a raft from local lumber. Load it up with goods (Furs, farm produce, etc...) and float down to New Orleans using poles and oars to control but not really propel the raft.

At that point, you would sell the goods, disassemble the raft to sell as lumber and walk home.

Goods coming up river early on were very limited and really took off after steam ships came into regular use (Huck was from around the time of the transition). Rafting down still continued for a while as it was mostly bulk goods downbound and smaller finished goods going upbound but the steam ships eventually drove that rafting market under.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 02:50   #198

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Not trying to argue just find this interesting and I grew up reading the same stories.

Though I've never hear Huck Finn described as Davy Crockett of the water. Great stories but might be time to re-read them. Huck was a kid/young man prone to getting into trouble and tricking his way out of it. Direct confrontation was not his style. He would be more prone to run from a fight. Davy was a man's man who would meet any confrontation head on fighting indians and wrassling bears with his bare hands.

The standard practice was to build a raft from local lumber. Load it up with goods (Furs, farm produce, etc...) and float down to New Orleans using poles and oars to control but not really propel the raft.

At that point, you would sell the goods, disassemble the raft to sell as lumber and walk home.

Mike Fink (see earlier link) was a famous "keelboat" captain. He did indeed pole upriver
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keelboat

There are also stories about him and Davy Crockett together including the Disney movie Davy Crockett and The River Pirates.
And this tall tale MIKE FINK - KING OF THE RIVERS
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 04:10   #199
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Good one StuM.. thanks.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 04:22   #200
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Goods coming up river early on were very limited and really took off after steam ships came into regular use (Huck was from around the time of the transition). Rafting down still continued for a while as it was mostly bulk goods downbound and smaller finished goods going upbound but the steam ships eventually drove that rafting market under.
Never did finish Huck Finn.. it was like War and Peace for children.. never finished War and Peace either.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-01-2018, 05:06   #201
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
And FYI the dynamite on the arrow does work just not to accurate.
And just exactly how would you know this?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 05:54   #202
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Never did finish Huck Finn.. it was like War and Peace for children.. never finished War and Peace either.
You should give Huck Finn another go. I reread it every few years and it still makes me laugh.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 06:51   #203
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
And just exactly how would you know this?
really officer I don't know nuthin about no moonshine still behind the barn
Old 16-01-2018, 07:29   #204
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

The astonishing thing about dynamite is just how little it does if not contained. If you lay a stick in the yard and blow it up, it won’t even kill the grass, makes a heck of a noise and that is about it.
Tie a stick to a baseball bat sized tree and blow it up, it does not knock the tree down.
However bury it under a stump so that when you blow it up, all it does is make a “whump” sound, that stump may be loose enough to pull out with a tractor.
I learned pretty quick if your clearing land, for God’s sake don’t cut the tree down first with a chain saw cause the stump is really difficult to deal with, dig around the tree with a backhoe and then push the tree over, then cut it up.
A Backhoe will take more trees down faster than a similar sized Bulldozer

As a kid I used to drive around town with a 12 Ga and a 30-06 in the truck and go to the hardware store and buy a case of dynamite and caps, and park in the school parking lot, and I’m not that old.
Can you imagine doing that today?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 09:09   #205

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

As a kid I used to drive around town with a 12 Ga and a 30-06 in the truck and go to the hardware store and buy a case of dynamite and caps, and park in the school parking lot, and I’m not that old.
Can you imagine doing that today?
I couldn't imagine leaving a box of Tide detergent tabs in a car at a school parking lot these days.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 21:59   #206

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
I'm confused? Are you saying you don't like to watch crap but are into doing crap?

FYI: In the original show, they didn't blow up gas can's, they weren't allowed to have guns due to probation rules so the strapped TNT to an arrow and fired it. Lots of improvisation and knockoff stuff though all about as silly as your exploding arrows idea. (don't get me wrong it's funny but about as believable as a viable solution to the OP's concerns)
And I would not be too critical of the effectiveness of exploding arrows, Rambo took out about three divisions of NVA troops using them in one of his movies. If they are as effective as his you should be able to take out a missile cruiser let alone pirates in a small boat.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 04:59   #207

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

A friend of mine used to carry a small cross bow mounted on a bulk head like a decoration. If officials asked he said it was just decoration and didnt work. Hidden in full sight. Never a problem.

Of course, he never had to actually use it...there is much debate about weaponry, but it mostly overlooks the issue of what do you do after using your weapon of choice. In many venues, if you kill a local, justified or not, you are in deep doo doo.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 05:22   #208
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
A friend of mine used to carry a small cross bow mounted on a bulk head like a decoration. If officials asked he said it was just decoration and didnt work. Hidden in full sight. Never a problem.

Of course, he never had to actually use it...there is much debate about weaponry, but it mostly overlooks the issue of what do you do after using your weapon of choice. In many venues, if you kill a local, justified or not, you are in deep doo doo.
Wipe the bolt down and wear gloves.. or if you've a freezer make and use ice bolts..

Old 17-01-2018, 07:01   #209
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

This is true, but it depends greatly on whether you can prove that your life was in danger. On the high seas piracy, or attempted piracy is pretty cut and dried.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 07:34   #210

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
This is true, but it depends greatly on whether you can prove that your life was in danger. On the high seas piracy, or attempted piracy is pretty cut and dried.
Im many venues it does not. In Guatemala for example, you, and anyone else foolish enough to be near you at the time, are going to jail. Not a good life experience. And, you will stay there until someone pays to get you out.

I know folks this has happened too...they were just at the scene of the crime and played no role in it. Any gringo foolish enough to still be standing there when the cops show up is going to jail....because they are assumed to be able and more than willing to pay. Locals actually comitting a crime may never even be arrested...because they have no ability to pay to get out...what good is that! 😆

Thinking about for a moment, I know folks this (or similar) has happened to in Jamaica, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and Panama...and it is what I would assume in any Central American country. Proof, or lack thereof, is not even relevant in many cases.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote