Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2017, 16:32   #46
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

Ahah. . ! ! ! The return of the Jedi. Hmmmm! . Herh Herh Herh Herh! Back you are Welcome .

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 17:07   #47
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

Boatie! I got a new stock of tanquerey so hope you are not anywhere near me haha :-)

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 19:01   #48

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
How real is the problem ?

Are there any statistics of private boats that are pirated or disappear in pirated waters world wide annually.

It would also be important to know of those pirated how many were left alive.

I suspect the numbers are very much lower than perception. It seems the worse the thought of something happening the more frequent we believe it happens.
We each interpret reports and statistics in our own way. Few are actually killed at sea, in harbors, or in marinas, by hurricanes, especially in terms of the numbers exposed, but that sure does not make it safe to confront them, or to be unprepared according to one's own standards if the meeting becomes unavoidable. How important are those left alive to those who were not so fortunate, when an incident of piracy occurs? The is a big difference between a rationale, and a rasher of bacon, but it does not apply to piracy.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:57   #49

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post

I'm not talking about spear gun, not a cross bow just a standard long bow or possibly a compound for taking feral goat/pigs for food with the proper hunting licensing.
=========

What you consider a feral goat or pig might very well be considered by the locals to be a Sunday dinner. Many of the islands are very poor and poaching their animals will be seen in a very bad light regardless of the formal legalities. I'd stick to fishing.

As far s self defense goes, there's an old saying that you should never bring a knife to a gun fight. Same logic applies to a bow and arrow in my opinion. Best self defense strategy in the islands is conflict avoidance and maybe a non-lethal deterrent like bear spray. Anything else can get you in deep trouble.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:15   #50

Boat: Moody 42 CC ketch

Just thought I'd throw my twopennyworth in about the bow and arrow idea specifically (forgive me if this is a lesson in sucking eggs): if you mean an old-fashioned longbow or modern recurve, you can't carry it 'strung' (it damages the bow long term) and stringing it takes a minute or two. These pirates are just going to hold off patiently, fiddling with their AK47's while you sort all that out? Or do you propose rigging it just in case for any boat that approaches you? Just something else to think about...
FWIW, I'd say no as "protection", maybe yes as something to play with on an empty beach, if its your 'thing'. And keep away from pirates!
Noisykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:17   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
=========

What you consider a feral goat or pig might very well be considered by the locals to be a Sunday dinner. Many of the islands are very poor and poaching their animals will be seen in a very bad light regardless of the formal legalities. I'd stick to fishing.
So the goat or pig can be considered dinner but the fish not? That does not compute. The post clearly said "with proper hunting license" so that is not poaching. Similar, you need the fishing license.

I have seen cruisers join local indian tribes on hunting trips and share in the meal afterwards. In this case I think the poster has survival in mind, where there may not be anybody around. IMHO every cruiser should be prepared for that and be able to fish as well as trap and hunt.

Quote:
As far s self defense goes, there's an old saying that you should never bring a knife to a gun fight. Same logic applies to a bow and arrow in my opinion. Best self defense strategy in the islands is conflict avoidance and maybe a non-lethal deterrent like bear spray. Anything else can get you in deep trouble.

But it can also save your life. The 100% effective defense in the islands involves having a firearm but I believe a bow or better crossbow will work as well.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:58   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Noonsite keeps a running list of all 'piracy' activities world wide. Bythier numbers there were a total of 26 incidents in the Carribean basin in 2015. But included in this number are thefts of outboards, dinghies, dingy accessories, and thefts while away. I didn't get in to each report (though they did) but I would guess less than 1/3 would in anyway be stopped by a weapon of any type. So maybe 8 incidents a year in the entire Carribean basin out of how many hundreds of thousand of boats?

Of the violent incidents most involve multiple attackers armed with guns. And most of the people involved were not aware of the boarding until the attackers were already on the boat.

Frankly if you need to pull out a bow or a gun, you have already lost. Short of an automatic weapon you are going to be outgunned most of the time and almost always out manned. Most of the boarders are just thieves looking for a quick buck, not to kill you, and they are generally hoping you are gone when they get there.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:00   #53

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

The only pirates I have encountered on the great lakes are diesel and marine mechanics, and a few marina operators.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:07   #54

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

We have sailed with several recurve bows and alu arrows since 1973. We have never had the least problem with customs and immigration folks because of them. I suspect the combination would be a huge deterrent to pirates when those razors are pointing at their giblets but thankfully have never come close to finding out.

As a means of procuring dinner, fish, chickens pigs, etc the bow and arrow is as good as the user and reusable. A compound bow might be more susceptible to being confiscated.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:21   #55

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Skip the diesel.. not reliable.. use petrol with a generous splodge of concentrated washing up liquid.. makes the flames stick where they land.. bit like napalm..
50/50?

A bow is good to deflate an inflatable, and mostly to launch a mooring rope at a distance! :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:25   #56

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The only pirates I have encountered on the great lakes are diesel and marine mechanics, and a few marina operators.
King of ******** are in PORTO SAN GIORGIO (Marche - Italy, medium Adriatic)

100%crooks + 100%incompetent

Bandits act by necessity. Those crooks act out of greediness with the tacit support from local sheriff
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:26   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Noonsite keeps a running list of all 'piracy' activities world wide. Bythier numbers there were a total of 26 incidents in the Carribean basin in 2015. But included in this number are thefts of outboards, dinghies, dingy accessories, and thefts while away. I didn't get in to each report (though they did) but I would guess less than 1/3 would in anyway be stopped by a weapon of any type. So maybe 8 incidents a year in the entire Carribean basin out of how many hundreds of thousand of boats?

Of the violent incidents most involve multiple attackers armed with guns. And most of the people involved were not aware of the boarding until the attackers were already on the boat.

Frankly if you need to pull out a bow or a gun, you have already lost. Short of an automatic weapon you are going to be outgunned most of the time and almost always out manned. Most of the boarders are just thieves looking for a quick buck, not to kill you, and they are generally hoping you are gone when they get there.

Again, the method outlined in the Pirate's aboard book has been 100% effective. I can see one way in which it fails and that is when the pirates used cocaine or some other war drug and the cruiser can't pull the trigger. Delaying entry is what provides time to arm and the narrow companionway entrance compensates for number of pirates. Buckshot aimed up the companionway also compensates for number of pirates in line there.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:26   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
We have sailed with several recurve bows and alu arrows since 1973. We have never had the least problem with customs and immigration folks because of them.
Customs and immigration where? Rules are different in different countries.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:33   #59

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Well if you don't want weapons of any sort on boat. You can always try "love and compassion." Susan Rice
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:40   #60

Boat: MacGregor X 26'

Avoiding pirates will minimize the threat, but not eliminate it. "Pirates" have robbed a boat at dock with men partying in Florida. They have also approached a sailboat in a regatta (overnight). Were approaching with no lights on, about 2AM, when they turned away after seeing the shotgun blast in the dark. (Lesson learned from the first experience)
If you stay in coastal waters, and have legal (state or US defense weapons) what's the problem. No gun zones are kill zones to the pirates.
Perew is offline   Reply With Quote