Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2018, 09:18   #211

Boat: Pearson 33-2
Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Im many venues it does not. In Guatemala for example, you, and anyone else foolish enough to be near you at the time, are going to jail. Not a good life experience. And, you will stay there until someone pays to get you out.

I know folks this has happened too...they were just at the scene of the crime and played no role in it. Any gringo foolish enough to still be standing there when the cops show up is going to jail....because they are assumed to be able and more than willing to pay. Locals actually comitting a crime may never even be arrested...because they have no ability to pay to get out...what good is that! 😆

Thinking about for a moment, I know folks this (or similar) has happened to in Jamaica, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and Panama...and it is what I would assume in any Central American country. Proof, or lack thereof, is not even relevant in many cases.
I paid a cash fine of $50US for taking a leak in the alley behind a bar in Mexico. I was standing shoulder to shoulder with the natives at the time of the crime, yet I was the only one threatened with jail. Fine was payable directly to the upstanding young officer.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 09:23   #212
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

Walk down a street and see ripe low hanging fruit the instinct is.. to Pluck It..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 10:29   #213

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
I paid a cash fine of $50US for taking a leak in the alley behind a bar in Mexico. I was standing shoulder to shoulder with the natives at the time of the crime, yet I was the only one threatened with jail. Fine was payable directly to the upstanding young officer.
Bienvenido a Mexico Gringo! 😆
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 10:53   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
Hello friends,

Does anyone has experience in having o board a bow and arrows? I personaly dont like fire arms etc, but thought that having a bow and arrows (and lots of practice) could be a legal and efficient deterent with regards to possible/eminent pirate attacks. Also, to clear in and out islands and countries visiting this could be easier than guns and the likes. Any experience/comments?
Thanks
Pieter
SV Lumina
Lumina Charters – Brazilian Coastal Catamaran Sailing

Yes we have a crossbow setup for bowfishing, not for warding off a pirate attack. However your pens and pencils would be considered a deadly weapon depending on your intent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowfishing

Click image for larger version

Name:	bowfishing3.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	162434

Click image for larger version

Name:	bowfishing4.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	162435

Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 12:19   #215

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
You overpaid, man. Learn to negotiate. If they say $50, offer 50 pesos. They will often (or they used to) take 50 pesos, and at the very least it will reduce the fine. That's Mexico; I wouldn't try that in Brazil.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 13:52   #216

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
You overpaid, man.... ......I wouldn't try that in Brazil.
[emoji1]
Old 17-01-2018, 16:59   #217

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
You overpaid, man. Learn to negotiate. If they say $50, offer 50 pesos. They will often (or they used to) take 50 pesos, and at the very least it will reduce the fine. That's Mexico; I wouldn't try that in Brazil.
That was the negotiated price. It started much higher, and he wouldn't accept pesos. FWIW, it was worth every dime. Quite a good time......
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 23:10   #218
Vep

I carry a long bow onboard with fiberglass staves that fold up into the aluminum riser. I like a long bow because, if you have to, you can make ammo for it just about anywhere in the world. It's great for hunting, such as for pigs.

I carry it for hunting, but it could be used for defense.

https://goprimalnow.com/

Water bandits, typically poorly armed in the Americas, respect a gun far more and tend to back off if they just see that you have one. For that purpose I carry a civilian style, break action 'sporting' shotgun. Nothing fancy, and it too can be used for hunting.

Also for 'decoration', I have an M1917 US Navy cutlass. It's a copy made by Cold Steel and is fully functional. It looks very cool and very traditional. It's also very sharp.
Vep is offline   Reply With Quote