Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2017, 06:57   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

In Germany we made a Baseball cannon out of an old OH-58 skid tube and a gas grill lighter.
It would throw a Baseball through a 3/4" sheet of plywood, we used starting fluid, ether.

When I was an oilfield worker many years ago we would fill a 40' section of drill pipe with an Oxygen / Acetylene mix and touch it off, My God you can't imagine how loud that was, Oxygen and Acetylene in the proper ratio is enormously powerful.

A childhood friend had a "line throwing cannon" apparently long ago there were small cannons specifically used in lifesaving that would throw a line a long ways, same bore as a coke can and we used a half lb of cannon black powder, the recoil was phenomenal, the cannon bolted to a thick steel plate would be thrown 20 feet or so.

But the best redneck sporting event is shooting anvils, that is insane, and you had better keep an eye on it, cause its definitely coming down.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 13:08   #137

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARGESOL View Post
Easy made by master - Ivan Selivanov - bazuka with less than $10 spent and 15mins time. Foam cleaner spray
For those who may have missed it the above quote was from post #118 in this thread, with the video left out. I know the moderator has very politely suggested we stick to the original topic of bows and arrows, and we should. Still, I thought the video was interesting if somewhat misplaced in defending a vessel.

OK, as suggested by another previous poster, is it possible [for the moderators] to establish a category where guns and other aggressive forms of defense of vessels can be discussed (due to thread drift, guns, and often other explosive methods and devices often appear in unrelated topics). Guns are controversial and unpopular with many, but a large segment of the participants in CF have an interest as they relate to their vessels, but creation of a proper place for discussion (which does not mean unfettered or unmoderated) should be on an agenda.
Old 13-02-2017, 13:10   #138
RPZ

Seconded
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 13:20   #139

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
OK, as suggested by another previous poster, is it possible [for the moderators] to establish a category where guns and other aggressive forms of defense of vessels can be discussed (due to thread drift, guns, and often other explosive methods and devices often appear in unrelated topics). Guns are controversial and unpopular with many, but a large segment of the participants in CF have an interest as they relate to their vessels, but creation of a proper place for discussion (which does not mean unfettered or unmoderated) should be on an agenda.
Agreed.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 13:43   #140
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2325138

A childhood friend had a "line throwing cannon" apparently long ago there were small cannons specifically used in lifesaving that would throw a line a long ways, same bore as a coke can and we used a half lb of cannon black powder, the recoil was phenomenal, the cannon bolted to a thick steel plate would be thrown 20 feet or so.[QUOTE]

In the Royal Navy we used a 303..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 14:55   #141

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
I'd not thought of that. Where can I apply as a pirate's assistant, at least part time?
It's not worth it. Inductions and Work Place Health and Safety is a nightmare.
Old 13-02-2017, 21:51   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
For those who may have missed it the above quote was from post #118 in this thread, with the video left out. I know the moderator has very politely suggested we stick to the original topic of bows and arrows, and we should. Still, I thought the video was interesting if somewhat misplaced in defending a vessel.

There is a gun section on the CF.
I suggest that all talk regarding weapons be moved across to it from here on in.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Gun owners
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 22:10   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
There is a gun section on the CF.
I suggest that all talk regarding weapons be moved across to it from here on in.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Gun owners
Are the moderators able to expand the topic (including the name) and move new and inappropriately future threads there? By expand, I mean not just guns, but all things intended for use as offensive or defensive weapons for protection against piracy, robbery, burglary, and other generally accepted acts that constitute criminal behavior. Even bows and arrows, slingshots, catapults, etc., but probably not kitchen knives used for meal prep. Explosives, Molotov cocktails, signal cannons, and even flares, if used as weaponry, could be moved at the discretion of (one, or more?) moderators.

If it can be done I can only presume the moderators are the starting points with the powers that be greater than all, at least as to CF. I know for sure that we, the hoi polloi will never be able to do things correctly without help.
_______
PS I just peaked at the link posts, and see that it is separate, with a separate "join" requirement. Hardly the right thing then. Sort of like the segregation thing in the USA of over 50 years ago. I'll avoid using the Nazi reference to concentrating us. Shame!
Old 13-02-2017, 22:31   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Are the moderators able to expand the topic (including the name) and move new and inappropriately future threads there? By expand, I mean not just guns, but all things intended for use as offensive or defensive weapons for protection against piracy, robbery, burglary, and other generally accepted acts that constitute criminal behavior. Even bows and arrows, slingshots, catapults, etc., but probably not kitchen knives used for meal prep. Explosives, Molotov cocktails, signal cannons, and even flares, if used as weaponry, could be moved at the discretion of (one, or more?) moderators.

If it can be done I can only presume the moderators are the starting points with the powers that be greater than all, at least as to CF. I know for sure that we, the hoi polloi will never be able to do things correctly without help.
_______
PS I just peaked at the link posts, and see that it is separate, with a separate "join" requirement. Hardly the right thing then. Sort of like the segregation thing in the USA of over 50 years ago. I'll avoid using the Nazi reference to concentrating us. Shame!
Buzzstar.

It is a members group. Even over there it seems free discussion is out of control. teens of posts have been deleted.

WHY?

Self control is not the order of the day with wanna be Rambos and hatred for certain groups.

We are a cruising forum. All things inter relate yet get out of control at times. Guns, religion and anchors.

We tried to oblige the members by making a section... and most dont want that, that want to discuss on the general forum and it escalates to the point of closure..

SOme of us mods are experienced ex military gun handlers and some are avid sportsmen with weaponry and some are religious and some are not. Some have experience with anchors... Yet outside of special forums we try not to inflame our members. The fall out is unbelievable. We are moderators of set rules and NOT censors.... the difference is hard to define but its there.

An open forum for weaponry is a no no. It gets destroyed every time.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 08:53   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Buzzstar.

It is a members group. Even over there it seems free discussion is out of control. teens of posts have been deleted.

WHY?

Self control is not the order of the day with wanna be Rambos and hatred for certain groups.

We are a cruising forum. All things inter relate yet get out of control at times. Guns, religion and anchors.

We tried to oblige the members by making a section... and most dont want that, that want to discuss on the general forum and it escalates to the point of closure..

SOme of us mods are experienced ex military gun handlers and some are avid sportsmen with weaponry and some are religious and some are not. Some have experience with anchors... Yet outside of special forums we try not to inflame our members. The fall out is unbelievable. We are moderators of set rules and NOT censors.... the difference is hard to define but its there.

An open forum for weaponry is a no no. It gets destroyed every time.

OK, I surrender. The problem, and I agree it is a problem, cannot be solved. I am, of course, referring to anchors.

As to the actual subject of weaponry, I guess it is best left to the moderators and the rules, and is up to us not to over-extend the tolerance of either.

Thanks for the reply and explanation.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:55   #146

Boat: '90 Jeanneau Voyage 12.5

Interesting thread. I have a self defense high power (800 lumins) flash light that can also be used as a baton, mace, knife I use for non-self defense, etc. Guns and weapons aren't allowed in many countries and the risk of me getting into a world of hurt with corrupt authorities about a firearm is much greater than pirates killing me.

I've got to laugh though at the advice... "don't go where pirates may be an issue." If one were to take that advice, there would no sailors/sailing around Africa, Asia, a good chuck of SE asia, and parts of S. America... no one circumnavigates either.

Thankfully the likelyhood of occurrence is fairly low, but nevertheless the impact is potentially grave, so some thought is prudent vs put on the blinders.
sandrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 18:25   #147

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
There were three boats attacked by pirates in the past month off Honduras. I bet many more around Venezuela.

Bow & arrow, even crossbows as well as axes, tomahawks, machetes etc. are allowed in almost every country, but a shotgun is allowed almost as often and a much better tool. Countries like Mexico and the USA are impossible or difficult but I didn't encounter any other country that objected to it. Even when customs is supposed to take it for the duration of your stay, my experience is that they let you keep it aboard when you come over well to the officer.

The posts that say that you will die when you resist are false. The only case I know where armed resistance lead to being killed was when the gun malfunctioned, i.e. not maintained (Blake). There are countless cases recorded where being armed saved the crew and boat, often after just firing a single warning shot.

I recommend that you read the book "Pirates aboard!" which describes many cases, as well as the best method of defense.
I would think if you could get out your 7 x 50 glasses and could tell that the men are up to no good, a few shots from a long range rifle whizzing in the air by their heads or even hitting their outboard if at all possible would make them think twice about coming any closer. They may want to rob you, but they probably don't want to lose one or two of their friends over a watch and a laptop. I already have a JIC Mossberg Mariner, but before I leave ( which is next fall, I plan to have a very long range rifle, powerful enough to penetrate fiberglass and a very good scope. Lots of practice at the range too. If I can see guns from far off, they are getting a few warning shots and if they keep coming I'm aiming for the waterline and the outboard.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 18:39   #148
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
I would think if you could get out your 7 x 50 glasses and could tell that the men are up to no good, a few shots from a long range rifle whizzing in the air by their heads or even hitting their outboard if at all possible would make them think twice about coming any closer. They may want to rob you, but they probably don't want to lose one or two of their friends over a watch and a laptop. I already have a JIC Mossberg Mariner, but before I leave ( which is next fall, I plan to have a very long range rifle, powerful enough to penetrate fiberglass and a very good scope. Lots of practice at the range too. If I can see guns from far off, they are getting a few warning shots and if they keep coming I'm aiming for the waterline and the outboard.
Unless you have a dead calm sea forget a scoped rifle. Better would be an AR, and practice shooting at floating targets from your boat out to about 300 yards. It is going to be imprecise at best, but a better way to go. Get some fletchette rounds for your Mariner. Private message me and I will expand on that.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 18:42   #149
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Come on long range rifle? Just do what the big boys do
phalanx cannon
Besides with any firearms onboard forget most foreign ports of call so no resupply
Old 13-01-2018, 18:43   #150
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
I plan to have a very long range rifle, powerful enough to penetrate fiberglass and a very good scope. Lots of practice at the range too. If I can see guns from far off, they are getting a few warning shots and if they keep coming I'm aiming for the waterline and the outboard.
Have you ever tried shooting a rifle from a small boat at sea? I have and it is orders of magnitude more difficult that you can imagine.

I starting hunting with my father when I was 6. Got to be a pretty good wing shot, qualified expert and was captain of the rifle team in high school so I think I'm not too bad with a long gun.

In pretty moderate conditions 2-3' swells or less I have tried shooting bottles from the deck of a 34' sailboat with a .223. Even close to the boat, 15-20 meters' I never hit one. A lot of the shots weren't even very close. At 100 meters maybe one shot in 10 was within a meter or two of the bottle. Beyond that I might as well have shot with my eyes closed.

Unless it's dead calm or you're on a very large, stable platform (like a destroyer) a scope on a boat is pretty much worthless and very long range ain't gonna happen.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote