Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-08-2009, 20:11   #16

Boat: csy 37
call me old fashioned but i've never found anything better than the original sperry topsider. they grip the deck in all weather, fit like a glove, and feel almost like i'm barefooted.

there are a few knockoffs that feel as good but don't last as long. i'm thinking of the west marine knockoff that i've bought for as little as five bucks a pair....

onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 20:44   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Foot sashimi...

I think the reason that I don't like going to my boat in bare feet (sandals don't feel much better) is that over the years I have managed to slice, dice and puncture my feet in every way possible in a marine environment.

My "favourite" is the sea urchin. Spikes are brittle, go in a long way, then break off, leaving just enough infection to really let you know they are there, but not enough to cause the body to reject them. I've had them come out years after they went in.

Glass, oysters, sharp rocks, bluebottles. I've checked them all out. The only "biggie" that I've missed is the Stonefish, but there's plenty of time left. Note the first aid...

My most recent reminder:- Walking on an old hardwood deck, stumbled (getting old, right - can't drink that much anymore), stepped to one side to get my balance, collected large splinter in foot, lurched to the other side, collected large splinter in toe of other foot. Took much Betadyne and hours of careful surgery from my noticeably non critical on call nurse. Thankfully no infection.

Rust never sleeps
Boracay Blog.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 21:01   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Current Inventory -

Shoe 1 - West Marine Performance moc - Cruising and hanging out. Decent grip on wet and dry deck. Don't like to wear them in the rain as they are leather. These recently replaced my Sebagos.

Shoe 2 - Sperry Performance Boat shoes SB1070 - Cruising/Hanging out and keelboat racing - They are an "athletic" shoe, very comfortable to wear. Good performance on the boat and while they advertise quick dry they do have foam and will stay wet for a long while.

Shoe 3 - Sperry Topsider Gradient - Racing. These shoes have been great. No foam, plenty of drainage soft rubber insole. They dry out in 10 minutes. Deck grip has been awesome. I think these are discontinued and will be looking for something similar.

Not a fan of crocs. Don't like the styling and I don't like "slip ons" for boat work.

Barefooting, only cruising in calm to moderate conditions. Too many things to damage toes on a boat.
Attached Images
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 21:49   #19

chacos are great, especially the old ones. I have the Keens as seen above from REI. I bought mine elsewhere and love them. They are easy on and easy off, stay on in any conditions, are waterproof, and have little grooves on the non marking soles. the same technology as on high end street tires.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 23:10   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Plain old Avia tennis shoes when it is warm.. Dinghy boots when it is cold and nasty.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 07:43   #21

Boat: Columbia sloop 24
I am going to have to try Converse canvas shoes and Crocs...surely those will do the trick! Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
wannabesailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 08:11   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

any comfortable shoe that doesnt have black soles. Barefeet are nice but broken toes are really painfull... Hard to beat a well broken in pair of Topsiders...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 08:25   #23

Boat: Islander 36-Fyfe & Drum
wear crocs, some of their other styles-lightweight, comfy. Have sperries also- but I have 50k shoes aboard as I do at home
CaptainHeidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 08:29   #24

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
I'm in agreement with Mermaid: Keens.

I originally got them to wear while kayaking, but I find they work great on the sailboat too. Comfy, and they've got that nice rubber lip over your toes, so you can't stub them on deck hardware or the like. They work well.
Alexei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 09:51   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
from top sliders to crocs, i have found NOTHING that does not slide on a deck that is wet and muddy from the mooring pickup or anchor---i wear bare feet and donot wear other shoes--once i found something that didnt slip---omega reef warriers--but they are not made anymore--oh well--bare feet......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 12:32   #26

Boat: Nordic 40 "Voyager"
Love my Gorilla feet

I have a pair of Vibram fivefingers (the KSO, "keeps stuff out") and I LOVE them! Expensive, but phenomenal traction on a slippery deck, and feels just like you're barefoot. For comparison purposes, I usually wear old-fashioned topsiders or Teva sandals. They dry fast in the sun, too.
HelenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 15:17   #27

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Well, I'll say there's no "kind of" when it comes to the Crocs- they are definitely ugly, & I'm certainly no slave to fashion. With bare feet, as much as I love to ditch the socks & shoes, I find my feet will wear quite smooth, which of course is very slippery in the wet. I use a pair of $12 tennis shoes from Giant Tiger (a discount store for people too cheap to go to Wal-Mart). If it's wet I have a pair of $39 "SealSkinz" waterproof socks to wear in the cheapo sneakers.
Zednotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 19:34   #28
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
lands end all weather mocs.

when they have gotten disgusting in mud or something I have taken them to the sink, scrubbed them with liquid dish soap and hot water inside and out, let em dry and then put em back on with no problem. I LOVE that...

and they go on clearance if you aren't "too fussy" about the colour! and they come an men, women and kids sizes.
All weather mocs

Himself is a Sperry kinda guy, but is currently wearing a beater pair of cole haans with nike air soles and loves them for support comfort and non skidness.

They are both suede, which seems to not stiffen up when wet and dried.

and scott is correct, chacos are the sandal of choice.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 20:25   #29
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I have a pair of keen's and ecco's sandals which I wear a lot. I found that with a heeling boat, they don't provide enough support so I just ordered some Sperry Amphibious shoes.

I haven't gotten them yet but am looking forward to more support with the arch and ankle.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 05:46   #30
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M
I have five pair of Crocs, and one pair of Keens. The Crocs get worn every day, on the boat, workshop, ashore, etc. The keens are much, much better gripping soles. And they are very comfortable. Problem for me is getting them on. Once on, they are great.

I rip the straps off the Crocs the moment I get them, and wear them without the straps.

Expat life in the Devil's Triangle:
Canibul is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: