Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2011, 00:37   #31
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Best Security System

Check out www.blueray.com.au , an Australian-made system with what at least appears to be a good range of products. We've not used them, but we are now considering them as they seem to be well recommended around here...and might possibly -- We hope!? -- be more reasonably priced than some of the other commercial operators...?
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 07:02   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i can see it now--- or , rather hear it--20 boats in an anchorage with screeming meemees and no one home. just like with car alarms. only ones to pay attention to the noise will be the thieves, who will know who is and isnt home. the rest of the souls in the anchorages will have to move along due to extreme noise and bright lights to light their paths to steal......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 14:28   #33
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
screeming meemees and no one home. just like with car alarms.
Now THAT's a nightmare vision! Thanks for that timely reminder zeehag.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 14:41   #34

Boat: PETERSON 44
My neighbor has one. It goes like this very loud security security you have entered an area pause just like nws does with word thunderstorm protected by a security system repeat and on then he has the fire tied in. Which is fire fire fire you may be about to be incinerated leave immidiataley repeat until some orne gets back and turns it off. I wish someone would break in and steal his system.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 14:52   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

yet more are being sold so more of us can have a nice uninterrupted evening in a serene anchorage.....until the absentees alarms all at same time..........(screams and runs for open sea)..

is far worse than a generator in use or a spinning wind genny....LOL...is even worser than slapping halyards someone chose not to secure.........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 21:05   #36

Don't know if someone pointed this out already, sorry.
There is a product out I just learned about called the SPOT HUG Satellite security, recovery and messaging. (Door ajar, smoke, high bilge, movement ect)
Pretty penny... Runs about $300-400 plus $150.00/year subscription. Pretty cool system, west marine has them. Westmarine.com then search model# 12012720
Treyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 00:19   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I am researching which approach to security makes sense for us as we travel. I haven't really found a complete boat security system, it seems like you kind of have to create your own.

I guess what I am looking for is a motion detector and an alarm. I have thought a motion detector near the cockpit could be helpful for when we are on the boat; but when we are off the boat we would need a way to disarm it.

Are there any new ideas out there? Any turnkey systems?
Every security system (motion sensors integrated with lights, strobe light on the mast , or/and sound alarm, SMS alert on you cell phone, motion camera , etc.) with remote control and dedicated, separate battery.
kriskret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 18:00   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour E 43
Send a message via Skype™ to WolfgangSeaLife

I witnessed an excellent system when boys in Venezuela swam over: A small dog barked like crazy. The owner said he barks if anyone gets closer than 100 yards.

However, not having a dog, I am looking for an IR detector.
WolfgangSeaLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 18:23   #39

Boat: Ohlson 29

I can just see it happening: boat making a whole lotta noise cos some bird landed in the cockpit, and owners are somewhere on land
(and the lady gets her purse stolen, it didn't have an alarm )

If you're afraid your boat might get robbed, use some sort of hatch. Keeping them out makes more sense than scaring the **** out of them once they're on the boat.

As someone who may end up sharing an anchorage with you: pretty please, no loud alarms
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 01:46   #40

I've found thrugh my travels that most crimes are crimes of opportunity, they are looking for a quick easy low risk score, any simple deterrent and the give up, a simple light set of bars would be enough most of the time. They just want to slip in and slip out, no attention drawn.
On the other end of the spectrum are the serious criminals and the only way you will beat them is by having more firepower. Luckily they are rare in most places I'd want to go.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 05:04   #41

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Yes, it'd suck being in an anchorage along with a boat which routinely has a "car alarm" going off.
Though, yes, I can definitely understand the desire for some setup to help keep one's worldly belongings "safe". Especially when, simply by virtue of a yacht being a yacht, it's a high value target, with lots of enticing goodies to be swiped, in lots of areas.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 05:27   #42

Boat: Owner Builder

My idea is have motion sensor or ir that triggers a recording of of a big vicious dog barking
Then 1-2 second later have a flash or strobe go off.
My vessel is a cat with only one realistic point of entry at the stern steps.
The barking will scare them & make them look in the direction of the sound then the flashes go off blinding them. Results being emergency departure whilst blind probably resulting in being hurt whilst falling into their dingy or falling in the water.
Could also have a loud siren for day use.
I am mostly concerned about some one sneaking on board whilst we are asleep.
BriaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 06:06   #43

Rube Goldberg would love it!
https://www.rubegoldberg.com/
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 09:56   #44

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
I've found thrugh my travels that most crimes are crimes of opportunity, they are looking for a quick easy low risk score, any simple deterrent and the give up, a simple light set of bars would be enough most of the time. They just want to slip in and slip out, no attention drawn.
On the other end of the spectrum are the serious criminals and the only way you will beat them is by having more firepower. Luckily they are rare in most places I'd want to go.
^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaF View Post
I am mostly concerned about some one sneaking on board whilst we are asleep.
See the above

My security system will be bars in the hatch, and all the big and expensive boats near me that are a way better target than my lil 29' KISS boat
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 11:14   #45

Boat: Outbound 44

Here's an article covering installing under deck strain gauges as a boat intrusion alarm system http://www.bwsailing.com/bw/cruising-news/alarmed/
These have very low false alarms versus the motion detector approach.

Tags
security