Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2011, 09:13   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Best Security System

rofl--is why my silent alert mechanism is good--he is quiet--doesnt bark, and shows where the potential disruption is coming from......meourw....doesnt meouw at things unless he finds em on board, then hisss and claws... goooood boy...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 09:34   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
Is installing high voltage extra lifeline with a warning sign (in few languages) considered to be legal?
T.
Just be sure your in international waters
Old 19-07-2011, 13:47   #18

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I get a sense of déjà vu so I will post this photo again

Mark,

What did you have the hatch board made of? I was looking into stainless, but the cost was unreal! I can't weld, so I was trying to figure out a DIY with just U channels and bars. I would also like to make something for my Lewmar overhead hatches, but want to be able to get out easy if there is a fire.

I never really have a fear of anything when I'm awake, but my worst phobia is someone attacking while I'm sleeping.

We put one of those cheap motion sensors in the salon of our boat. If someone comes down the companionway, it will go off before they get to my v-berth
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 13:54   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Mark,

What did you have the hatch board made of? I was looking into stainless, but the cost was unreal! I can't weld, so I was trying to figure out a DIY with just U channels and bars. I would also like to make something for my Lewmar overhead hatches, but want to be able to get out easy if there is a fire.

I never really have a fear of anything when I'm awake, but my worst phobia is someone attacking while I'm sleeping.

We put one of those cheap motion sensors in the salon of our boat. If someone comes down the companionway, it will go off before they get to my v-berth
What about using an old Oven shelf? Doesn't have to be an exact fit (hatch not going to be weatherproof anyway )......but gives some bars to start with
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 14:50   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Mark,

What did you have the hatch board made of?
Its aluminum security door frame thats custom made.
I took the normal washboards into a Security door maker and he put his Dad onto the job. I think they give Dad all the painful odd jobs to keep him busy and out of the way!

There is double pop rivets at every place where the lattice meets the frame and triangles of reinforcement at each corner.

It took a bit of negotiating because, obviously, its not rectangular and has curves at the base... they took a while to let the creativity run free.

I think they did it for me for $100 (?) Very cheap. I use it when off the boat because they breeze keeps the boat cool... and at night when I lock myself in the breeze doesnt stop

It padlocks inside or out.

It wouldn't stand up to sustained attack by a noisy intruder but it would slow them down to get other defenses ready and make a VHF call or 10.

(There was a very fine SS security screen available but it was expensive and the air wouldnt go through as easily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
What about using an old Oven shelf? Doesn't have to be an exact fit (
Excellent idea.

I think its all in creativity. However your boat is designed a few hours thought over a few days, and a bit of trial and error, will come up with something thats easy, safe, cool in the tropics and economically priced.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 14:59   #21

Ornamental iron worker would likely be able to throw something together as well in a range of materials. They can get it powder coated for you, too.

I wonder if they could make one with pointy bits pointing out toward cockpit?

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 20:05   #22

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
What about using an old Oven shelf? Doesn't have to be an exact fit (hatch not going to be weatherproof anyway )......but gives some bars to start with
Funny, I had been on a few grill part replacement websites trying to find something the same size as my Lewmar hatches. I thought a grill's stainless grate would be awesome. Unfortunately, they don't usually list the size dimensions of the grate... Just what model of grill it came off.
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 20:32   #23

i think my overhead hatches might be a princess and a magic chef in size--dunno the doors one...they look more like a couple of hibachis.
must have ventilation or i would prolly hissyfit the thing off the doors....is why i like MarkJ's...lots of air.....
Old 19-07-2011, 21:25   #24

Boat: Prout 46

A company called Cages By Design makes custom cages for birds and reptiles out of stainless mesh wire panels. The wire is heavy duty and the mesh is available in 1/2", 3/4", 1", and 11/2" and can be custom cut to any size you want. We use the 1/2" mesh to cover the escape hatches on the hull of our catamaran to keep pets and toddlers from falling out and intruders from coming in while keeping the hatches open for ventilation (see photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5368.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	29790  
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 17:21   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Sounds like a winner and cheap also..throw in a few flash bang granades and some electricity and..im just kidding, I couldnt help myself I was thinking about what D O J wrote the other night.."I like these threads"
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 00:21   #26
Armchair Bucketeer

Since my last post about the Oven shelf - my father's (domestic) oven went "pop" ...........I have my eyes on the shelves
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 09:33   #27

doj--is an awesome idea-- mebbe i can find some mexican stove went pop and use those with skeeter netting for my overhead hatches.... thankyou for the idea....
Old 26-07-2011, 19:23   #28

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Big black dog. Intruders never come aboard in the first place.
Old 26-07-2011, 20:49   #29

Boat: Simonis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I am researching which approach to security makes sense for us as we travel. I haven't really found a complete boat security system, it seems like you kind of have to create your own.

I guess what I am looking for is a motion detector and an alarm. I have thought a motion detector near the cockpit could be helpful for when we are on the boat; but when we are off the boat we would need a way to disarm it.

Are there any new ideas out there? Any turnkey systems?
I strongly recommend that you look at the security systems offered by
Paradox Marine - http://www.gostglobal.com
We have a comprehensive Paradox Marine integrated security system on our yacht and I can highly recommend their products. From simple alarm systems to sophisticated satellite tracking systems, GSM communication, camera and video recorders, WIFI and Bluetooth, direct voice communication with your boat, wireless sensors, acoustic barriers, SMS messages, infrared beams, pressure sensors, smoke sensors, heat sensors, high water alarms, etc, etc. The options and choices available from this company is simply stupendous. We installed their system some two years ago and although we went completely overboard spending a small fortune, it was worth every single cent.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 20:55   #30

Boat: Simonis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I'm having a hard time believing that someone would want to be at anchor with a motion sensor in the cockpit. Watch what your boom does next time someone throws a wake in your direction.
It is all about fixing the sensor in the right location. In addition to many other things, we have 6 motion detectors on our yacht - both intenally and externally. To date, we never had a false alarm.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security