Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 07:44   #16

Boat: 1998 PDQ 36 Capella Classic
Re: Bee Swarm

Working for fire/EMS west Texas we used to answer lots of bee swarm calls. We would only kill the swarm if there was some type of modifying factor that made them dangerous (i.e. aggressive swarm, near a day care, ...). Other than that we just advised people to give them a wide birth and they would typically be gone by the next day.

On occasion we will run into the africanized swarm and they did have to be dealt with. Had one lady stung over 300 times from a swarm.

We used to run about 30 bee calls a year. The last 2 years we have not run any. Not sure if this was because of the decline in the bee population or because of the "exceptional" drought we are in.

Cheers,
Mike
Krakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:59   #17

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat

God save the Queen.
vientoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:05   #18
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Man, don;t kill them. Find a beekeeper, or garb up with clothing that covers the bare bits and knock them into a box and take them inland so they can find a more suitable location. Swarming bees are pretty mello.

My dad goes out and removes swarms for folks like you and distributes them to people who want them. It's not hard to so.

Also, often swarms will rest for a time and then move on. Really, leave them and see what happens. They won't build a nest overnight and as long as they are hanging out in a swarm, you could afford to wait!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:08   #19

Boat: Hedonist 44
Send a message via Skype™ to lenseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
SOAPY WATER will chase em away and spozedly keep em away--this from local souls---btw--IT WORKS!!!!!!!
Absolutely true.

Bees do not like carbolic, it does not make then aggressive, they just will not spend time near anything smelling of carbolic (not the perfume in soap) but the carbolic smell.

S/Y "Surabaya Girl" - 2DTW3 - Portsmouth UK
lenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:15   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i do my laundry in cockpit and no bees.. this also works with hornets and wasps.

btw--tropix is skeeterville, flyville and beeville--and other bugs--keep a good offense so they dont bug ye ...
autan works on skeeters and no seeums, dagger for flies and soapy water for the bad stingy thingy... and awesome kinds of sprays for the cucarocha and scorpions which need to "re-think their housing situation"....

LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:17   #21

Boat: OEM, proportional

Great little navigators, bees. Their vision is polarised, so they can tell the direction of the sun through clouds. A most handy little thing to learn!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:38   #22

Boat: Swiftship, 57m

Never tested it but i have heard that bowl with beer will atract the bees and they will drown one by one. Altough it is bit drastic messure if you can get somebody to take them and find them new home instead of killing it would be perfect. Remember no bees no hoops, no hoops no BEER!!!!!!!
Steveinocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:40   #23

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have seen a big decline in the bee population down here in LA. Over the last few years ! sure bad for the garden!! wish we could get a couple of swarms !!LOL Glad ya came out alright, but they seldom hurt when they are looking for a new home !! have a good trip !!
Old 05-08-2012, 20:12   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I have only been stung once in my life by honey bees, and that was when I grabbed a handful of clover florets with a bee in it. Wasps, that is another story. I used to leave a tad of beer in the bottle and put the empties around the campsite. Would kill a lot of wasps, but may have attracted just as many more.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 22:06   #25

I once has a swarp of white face hornets arrive at my home. Scared the sh$$ out of me. There were thousands of them. The hornets found a hole in my covered deck and started to setup shop. They were very aggressive, I went to the hardware store for some wasp stopper and took them all out. Now I wonder if they were just passing thru.....any way you look at it, it is a scary sight when that many bees show up unannounced.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:43   #26

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

I had this happen to me while I was working on my boat in the yard in San Diego. The bees swarmed in the cockpit. I left them alone. I walked passed them several times all day in fact. The next day I came back and they were gone.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 14:48   #27

Boat: Still saving up for the next one!

Hey there,

Yeah, we had a bee swarm once on the furled genoa and I got stung several times when I climbed aboard. The bug spray was not very effective and soon ran out so we unfurled the sail and motored flat out into the wind and the flapping shook them off, but then they were whizzing past us so we had to duck down low in the cockpit till they were all gone.
Freddy_Vagner is offline   Reply With Quote