Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2009, 08:14   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Cormorant,
There is great info here and taking basic precautions go a long way. One thing I did want to say is that most likely your family will dive below the waterline in mask, snorkel and fins, and forget to be scared. It is so beautiful one forgets to be scared. I know when I've encountered things like a bull shark, it is so amazingly beautiful and graceful and well just plain spectacular. I marvel and the fear is there but it is totally eclipse by the beauty-it is worth it. Don't get me wrong I don't try to kiss the bull or follow him, just let him pass, make sure he doesn't turn around for another looksy and thank God for showing me such a spectacular creature.
You guys are going to have a blast!
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 09:13   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Other folks have already chimed in on the shark issue in the Bahamas, but I would like to add one other thing for your planned cruised in the Exumas: do be respectful of the boundaries of the Exuma Park -- no fishing, spearing, conching, lobstering, etc. Don't take anything out of the water except pictures.

Otherwise, do enjoy the park, it is wonderful. The folks at the Warderick Wells station are very helpful.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 09:13   #18

Boat: 43 Tiara
Hi Cormorant,

We just left the Exumas where we were cruising for 6 weeks. I love to snorkel and I'm terrified of sharks! I saw 2 while snorkeling - a nurse shark at Sea Aquarium and a Lemon in Warderick Wells north mooring field. A friend was visited by a black tip near Bell. I think there are sharks all around but they don't seem overly interested in snorkelers. I'd be careful if you're spear fishing. I'd also talk with your wife and kids about what to do if/when they see one. I understand it's best not to splash about if you see one and get scared.

In both instances I internally "freaked" and quietly/without splashing swam back to the dinghy and got in. My boyfriend could care less and keeps snorkeling

The Exumas are so beautiful - have a wonderful time!

Steph
StephM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 09:21   #19

Boat: Leopard 40
When I went to the military scuba school in Key West, way back when, our instructors would remind us of one thing all the time. When you enter the water you have entered the food chain, so be careful....... During one of our sub-surface compass swim, we had one team literally swim into a nurse shark. Scared the sh#$ out of them…..

Tom
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 10:22   #20

I have seen Lemons and they do have a rep for being a little aggressive. In your short trip you may never even see a shark... so dont get overly worried....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas