Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2010, 12:38   #31

I think the majority of people reading this kind of thread are dreaming about fort knox security for their unattended boat.Electric fences are not for that.I think a fence would be good to have when you are already established in an anchorage and you see or hear something that bothers you.For whatever reason you cant,or wont leave immediately.A fence that is quick and easy to clip on would be good to have.No way is it 100% protection,but it is something.The last killing on the Rio Dulce.An electric fence might have saved him.The killers swam out to their boat.
Old 21-01-2010, 12:48   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam View Post
I think the majority of people reading this kind of thread are dreaming about fort knox security for their unattended boat.Electric fences are not for that.I think a fence would be good to have when you are already established in an anchorage and you see or hear something that bothers you.For whatever reason you cant,or wont leave immediately.A fence that is quick and easy to clip on would be good to have.No way is it 100% protection,but it is something.The last killing on the Rio Dulce.An electric fence might have saved him.The killers swam out to their boat.
Again , aluminium hatches, locked from the inside thru a vent, and ports too small to climb thru make ones unattended boat a lot more trouble than the one next to it.
Old 21-01-2010, 23:05   #33

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
I met some people once who sailed the Pacific with a monkey on board. In many Asian cultures the monkey is revered or feared as an ancestral being. BTW, sure, scared the sh..t out of me when I climbed on board.

Jim
Old 21-01-2010, 23:16   #34

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpex View Post
The Coral Sea and anywhere near Indonesia. The folk who do piracy in such areas do not spend most of the day watching soaps on TV then hive off for a quick pirating expedition. They are serious, careless, often starving folk who will cut your throat for tuppence.
Where and when
Examples and links please.
Old 22-01-2010, 08:31   #35

Uh oh,is this going to be another piracy thread?
Old 22-01-2010, 10:24   #36

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
No. But highly likely to be one more thread where we see 'this is what I think but I dunno really' v 'this is what I know but dunno if you're listening':-).
JOHN
Old 23-01-2010, 21:11   #37

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
I used to keep Layla at a marina at St Simons Island, GA (USA), a popular tourist area... More than once I came to the boat and found strangers on deck taking pictures (!) I wonder how this cow wire approach would have worked

Sailndive
Old 23-01-2010, 21:48   #38

If you connected an electric fence to your boat in a marina, and then left it unattended ,you deserved to have your ass sued off.
Old 23-01-2010, 21:51   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam View Post
If you connected an electric fence to your boat in a marina, and then left it unattended ,you deserved to have your ass sued off.
Did you really think I was serious?...
Old 23-01-2010, 22:00   #40

I wasnt sure.I am sure that if elecric fences for boats were marketed commercialy then for sure someone would leave their boat live in a marina.
Old 23-01-2010, 22:17   #41

I wasn't amused to find strangers walking around on my boat - even so, I'd think that type of protection for the boat is akin to laying mines... never knowing who the victim will be.
Old 23-01-2010, 23:52   #42

Hi Sailndive345, what did you say to the people helping/inviting themselves on your property?? If I saw that, I think I would become instantly furious as it is such a blatant disrespect for personal property and space!! I would nearly demand that they show me their house so I can just walk around and take random pictures of their "stuff." Idiots!!
Old 24-01-2010, 06:27   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Hi Sailndive345, what did you say to the people helping/inviting themselves on your property?? If I saw that, I think I would become instantly furious as it is such a blatant disrespect for personal property and space!! I would nearly demand that they show me their house so I can just walk around and take random pictures of their "stuff." Idiots!!
Must admit to having similar feelings As tourists, these folks seemed to be under the impression that "all of this touristic stuff" was fair game. When I approached and boarded the boat, they seemed a bit embarrassed - said 'sorry we were just taking pictures' and left. What's interesting is that I experienced this a couple of times. I think some folks must think boats just don't count as private property unless there are signs hanging all over prohibiting access.

I still think cow wire would have been amusing ....until the lawyers got involved..

Sailndive
Old 24-01-2010, 06:39   #44

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailndive345 View Post
Did you really think I was serious?...
It is hard for me to believe anyone on this thread is really serious.

Jim
Old 24-01-2010, 06:45   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
It is hard for me to believe anyone on this thread is really serious.

Jim
Amen, brother Jim!..
Closed Thread