Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 14:04   #91
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Automated External Defibrillator ?

I'll toss another hat in the ring: Cold water. As I recall, a mid-size mid-age male jumping into cold water (i.e. 50-ish F) can suffer a heart attack from the cold shock. If someone goes overboard in cold water? That's something to consider, and having an AED on board might be very useful.

Not the first priority for a thousand dollars, but one to consider while looking over the list.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 14:32   #92

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I'll toss another hat in the ring: Cold water. As I recall, a mid-size mid-age male jumping into cold water (i.e. 50-ish F) can suffer a heart attack from the cold shock. If someone goes overboard in cold water? That's something to consider, and having an AED on board might be very useful.

Not the first priority for a thousand dollars, but one to consider while looking over the list.
If you don't have access to fast hospital based care after the event, the likelihood of any kind of positive outcome is really small. OK, really, really small. It isn't going to be a movie ending where you pull someone out of the water, yell clear, shock away, and little Jimmy (or old Jimmy) snaps out of it and sits up smiling and is ever so thankful.
Old 29-10-2012, 14:52   #93

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

The folks who mentioned the transport to acute care facilities get it. There is also the need for oxygen and fluids. Few of us will be able to carry the quantities needed, or have the expertise to administer an IV. It's still a real world out there over the horizon.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote