Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 10:09   #76
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Arms on board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
Irrelevant of whether the OP was a troll or an honest question, the above is the best response. I've never responded in one of these threads, but I always read them because I find it interesting as to other individuals' responses. It gives you a picture of where they're coming from. In any event, IMHO most on CF would be best served by not even considering deadly force weapons aboard. The investment is far too great. It's nothing to do with the $$$ of a weapons' purchase, where to keep them, or how to deal with with local laws. To be "armed", an individual will spend far more on training than on even a sizable arsenal of firepower. To be "armed", an individual will expend more practice ammunition in a month than most "gun owners" will fire in a lifetime. To be "armed", an individual will practice and continually advance their skills in the martial art of gun fighting for hours each week. Range time is a small part of it. Throwing lead at a paper target with perfect precision means nothing in a real situation. Having been in that "situation" via training and having the skills embedded in muscle memory is what will count. This is in general far more than most here are willing to invest. Carrying a firearm without the skills embedded will do you little or no good and will likely hurt. Learning to identify the potential situation is the first skill taught and most often (by far) used. Situational awareness is a skill anyone can learn and practice on a daily basis. It's legal everywhere. Most victims are blissfully unaware of the situations' theater unfolding around them, until their time and thus options are used up. Those who would do you harm count on that.
This must be one of the most sensible reflections I have seen on the subject. Its true on or off the boat. As a holder of several firearms myself , I couldnt agree more

+100

Dave
Old 09-04-2013, 10:13   #77

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

I have been thinking about rigging my boat with high explosives. That eliminates the need for carrying numerous rifles, handguns, machetes, knives and various ninja weapons.
If things get dicey, or if I even think that they might, there will be only one button to push and all problems will be solved in an acrid cloud of vapor.
The manly solution for sure.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:06   #78

Boat: Skookum 53'

I always thought that falling on the floor crying and soiling myself would be the best defense.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:15   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I always thought that falling on the floor crying and soiling myself would be the best defense.
A famous man once sagely opined that the quickest way to foil a robbery is to throw up on your money.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:49   #80

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Maybe just inflammatory, but let us combine two threads, this thread on
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-101372.html
The fact of the dad's gun may have lost him his children. If he showed up at Grandma's wielding a loud voice demanding his children, he might not now be a fugitive.
Guns are offensive weapons, used for offensive purposes, and when you have a bazooka in your pocket, you too quick to use it as a solution to your problems.
Old 09-04-2013, 14:06   #81

Boat: Bristol 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
If you want guns onboard, sail around the US, thanks, leave the rest of the world to people with a little bit more grey matter between their ears. The last thing we need is the suspicion from officials that boaters are gun nuts. I see no advantage whatsoever outside the US to carrying firearms unless one is going into dangerous wild animal country ( on a boat !!).

The reason these debates are facetious is that advocates aren't interested in a reasonable debate. so it descends into the creation of absurd scenarios or inane re-statements of supposed "rights".

The humour responses probably get it right.

Dave
Hmmm... as I recall from history lessons all you Pommies didn't seem to mind those brash Americans and their terrible guns back in 1941. Or for that matter, 1917.

Ah.... but then there was 1776. Get over it.
Old 09-04-2013, 14:37   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post
Hmmm... as I recall from history lessons all you Pommies didn't seem to mind those brash Americans and their terrible guns back in 1941. Or for that matter, 1917.

Here we go - the yanks won the war - this thread really is spiralling downward now. Guns are good and you should have them on board cause we won the war. OMFG.
Old 09-04-2013, 14:38   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post

or the russians coming from the east......and look where that got the world for the next 60 years.......me thinks its time to move on and not live in the last century.........comrade
Old 09-04-2013, 14:50   #84
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Arms on board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
or the russians coming from the east......and look where that got the world for the next 60 years.......me thinks its time to move on and not live in the last century.........comrade
LOLOL...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 09-04-2013, 15:02   #85
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88

QED , 1776 justifies guns on a boat.

As a CFer once enlightened me "Reductio ad absurdum"

An, matey, just don't give Europeans lessons about war or guns or history. We wrote the book, and we're knee deep in our own blood because of it for millennia.

Dave
Old 09-04-2013, 15:03   #86
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll

I don't know , but they seem to have the only operational space craft !! There tractors arnt too bad an all !!

Dave
Old 09-04-2013, 15:15   #87

I think the best you can do is have a lockable arms locker, and know the rules for where you are headed. Some places will require you take your arms ashore and have them locked up there. Helluva way to meet your new compadres in a 3rd world country!.... walking ashore with your AR15, a shotgun and a pistol! Where you are more likely to need a gun (Anchored near shore)... they end up locked up!

Old 09-04-2013, 15:43   #88
Nearly an old salt

I think the" best u can do" is not bother with them at all. I would prefer my cruising destinations and the cruisers in them not to look like a war zone

Dave
Old 09-04-2013, 15:57   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
But, the OP asked a politely phrased question, and has accepted your overwhelmingly negative responses with his thanks... why are you being so snotty ?

Don't know what he will do in the end, but he deserves some respect for his attitude IMO.
I agree with that comment.

As an aside, I will add to the thread that while in the past this topic has always been discussed with quite a lot of emotion, and hypothetical cases, and few facts . . . . we do now actually have some significant empirical experience from the Indian ocean about what is necessary to drive off armed pirates.

We have a brit ex military friend who has been providing 'support' to superyachts thru this area.

The threat there has been 'near worst case' . . . Typically two attacking skiffs with 5 men in each with AK's. The consensus solution that has developed is 3 trained guys (who can fire aimed rounds while standing under fire) with AR's (or similar) firing 600-1000 rounds. That has proven satisfactory to drive off the pirates. Less than this had been judged to be generally insufficient (for watch keeping and multi-skiff reasons) and risky although there have been cases where less has driven off the pirates*. However, as already discussed, that sort of firepower will of course land you in hot water in most countries. around the world.
Old 09-04-2013, 16:10   #90

If a person wants to take hid guns, well ... that's his decision. The OP is not asking whether he should or not, just asking about procedures.

Closed Thread