Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 21:41   #31

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Arms on board?

What is the point of guns when you can have hand grenades? When they ask if you have any guns, you can honestly say no.

They can be disguised pretty easily, and are great for throwing down some other boat's hatch, or at an approaching vessel.
Old 08-04-2013, 23:55   #32

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
What is the point of guns when you can have hand grenades? When they ask if you have any guns, you can honestly say no.

They can be disguised pretty easily, and are great for throwing down some other boat's hatch, or at an approaching vessel.
Great idea where can i get some?
Old 09-04-2013, 00:33   #33

Boat: Alberg 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Agreed Jim. I felt the OP was extremely respectful and courteous to all.

I'm not picking on anyone because Mama long ago taught me how to get along with others. But why does it seem that it's usually the same posters that say they're tired of the same threads that are always the ones that respond? I could list off a dozen recurring thread subjects I personally consider a waste of my time from recipes to Kardashian look alike boat chicks needed. But somehow I've been able to resist the temptation to click on them and easily move on. I just don't get it. If someone wants to discuss guns and another doesn't, then simply don't.

I agree. Once the OP made it clear it was in US waters, why did everyone continue to jump him on this issue?
<rant=on>
OK, we get it, all you world cruisers don't want to take guns for the headaches. Fine, however, it isn't "worldcruiserforum.com", so get a grip. Not everyone is trying to do that. And we like our guns over here, or some of us do, and we have a right to do this (for now). Overkill? IDK, if he plans to visit Detroit, I think he is under armed! ;-) OK, now that I pissed off most of the readers...
<\rant>
Just avoid Canada, Mexico, and the Bahamas and there won't be a problem. Personally, I think a tactical tomahawk or two could be just as effective, and actually useful in other emergency situations too.
Old 09-04-2013, 00:41   #34

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post

I agree. Once the OP made it clear it was in US waters, why did everyone continue to jump him on this issue?
<rant=on>
OK, we get it, all you world cruisers don't want to take guns for the headaches. Fine, however, it isn't "worldcruiserforum.com", so get a grip. Not everyone is trying to do that. And we like our guns over here, or some of us do, and we have a right to do this (for now). Overkill? IDK, if he plans to visit Detroit, I think he is under armed! ;-) OK, now that I pissed off most of the readers...
<\rant>
Just avoid Canada, Mexico, and the Bahamas and there won't be a problem. Personally, I think a tactical tomahawk or two could be just as effective, and actually useful in other emergency situations too.
I think he may be under armed for Alabama too, but that's just me.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:43   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Yeah sorry for the prick-ish response but basically it goes like this:

90% of people doing international sailing don't have guns onboard because:
a) they're illegal in many countries you'd visit
b) the ratio of "screwed by having a gun" is much greater than "saved by having a gun"

5% of people hide one, which also means you can be screwed if one is found, like years in some random country's prison

5% of people having floating arsenals and avoid countries that won't allow them in and go through the hassle with the other countries.

These are numbers I've found. I was in the Navy and in the US I always had a pistol next to us in the v berth. I grew up around firearms and am completely comfy with them. But it's not the US out here, each country has its own rules, and the math is clearly on the side of those who aren't armed.

I'm leaving this thread because it will devolve into a s-storm and get locked soon.
Great post!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:12   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post
<rant=on>
<\rant>
A) it's the internet, yer don't get to pick and choose yer responses to only those "you" like.

B) OP was given the benefit of the doubt on having at least some sense of humour to take a bit of ribbing. I doubt many here get truly upset about many US folks clinging onto their guns, just find it funny .........and hard sometimes not to do a bit of chain yanking because results fairly predictable - if not from an OP, from the peanut gallery .

C) OP was presumed to be at least a little bit self aware that present arsenal fairly decent and would cover most things that a gun would solve (at least immediately), unless actively seeking to engage trouble.

D) Whilst CF not WorldCruisersForum.com, nonetheless a fairly decent spread of membership from the 4 corners of the world (the bits outside the US) and it's not USACruisersForum.com either (although sometimes it feels like it ).

E) OP can't shoot me - because I am safely hidden behind my keyboard and a long way away ........and yes, I do consider these things - indeed from a past life (of a man I once met in a pub who knew somebody) hard not to shake off the need for a risk assessment to cover such things even in the dull day to day stuff in a place that more likely to get struck by an asteroid than have the need to respond to anything before it happens. But never any harm in being aware........

Hope that all helps .
Old 09-04-2013, 02:26   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Arms on board?

Personally I'd prefer a crossbow with hollow shafts stuffed with Semtex and a contact detonater....
Buga they're illegal as well...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 09-04-2013, 02:34   #38
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Personally I'd prefer a crossbow with hollow shafts stuffed with Semtex and a contact detonater....
Buga they're illegal as well...
It's only illegal when the fella with the funny wig says it is.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:13   #39

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
He did ask about a katana / swords, are they illegal?? I have a Nice sharp Ghurka knife, have always wondered.....
Old 09-04-2013, 03:41   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
He did ask about a katana / swords, are they illegal?? I have a Nice sharp Ghurka knife, have always wondered.....
Khukri's come under the 'under 6" blade' rule... definitely illegal in the UK...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 09-04-2013, 03:42   #41

I guess it just seems, coming from a non gun-obsessed culture, such a weird question to ask.

It's as if the OP had given a list of favourite sex toys, wondered about specific requirements, and asked us what the general opinion of that sort of thing is.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:00   #42
cruiser

We don't carry weapons internationally, but would if we could.

While in US waters, we always have our Mossberg 500 Mariner loaded and ready with a Surefire attached. Our Vepr AK47 7.62x39 is also ready at all times, but no high capacity mags.

The last time I was boarded, Homeland Security was impressed with our choice of guns, they carefully background checked each one, then sent us on our way. No problem because the guns are legal in all 50 states. No handguns on board due to legality issues in some states like Southern California where it's difficult to transport them on land.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:14   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

While in US waters, we always have our Mossberg 500 Mariner loaded and ready with a Surefire attached. Our Vepr AK47 7.62x39 is also ready at all times, but no high capacity mags.

The last time I was boarded, Homeland Security was impressed with our choice of guns, they carefully background checked each one, then sent us on our way. No problem because the guns are legal in all 50 states. No handguns on board due to legality issues in some states like Southern California where it's difficult to transport them on land.
Damn... not sailing in US waters again for me... anywhere one has to sail locked n loaded is definitely off my bucket list...
No Go area's...
Iran
Somalia
USA
W. Africa (certain areas)

Old 09-04-2013, 04:19   #44

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
I guess it just seems, coming from a non gun-obsessed culture, such a weird question to ask.

It's as if the OP had given a list of favourite sex toys, wondered about specific requirements, and asked us what the general opinion of that sort of thing is.
Well, my experience is that a cat-o-nine can used with imagination, albeit a light touch. Mainsail halyard is reasonable for holding subject immobile.

There are many other exciting "tools" on board.

Re: guns on board - well, I've just never felt the need. And just so the gun aficionados on here don't think I'm a wimp - I'm an expert marksman with both the long and the short gun. Regimental sharpshooter, back when I was in. With both long and short.

So I'm quite comfortable around guns. Just never felt I needed one on a boat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 09-04-2013, 04:52   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Just a side note to my original post which was a serious answer to the original OP question:

Three weeks ago in Madrid, my wife's wallet was stolen while on our way to the hotel from the airport. The thief had already charged over 1000 Euros on the credit cards and had probably even spent the $300 dollars in cash before we arrived at the hotel and notified the authorities. The rest of the world is not as safe as some folks outside the US would like us to believe.

The same thing has never happened to her here in the USA. It really isn't necessary for the international "smartie pants" types to be so judgmental of those folks who prefer to carry weapons. We all arrive to the cruising lifestyle with different life experiences.
Closed Thread