Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 21:39   #106

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Re: Arms on board?

The most helpful thing would be to point Soldier toward a reasonable digest of gun laws in the 50 states. Certainly he has an increasing chance of encountering difficulties as he reaches the mid-Atlantic states in traveling the east coast.

Here's an example: NRA-ILA | New Jersey
NRA-ILA | New Jersey

Old 09-04-2013, 22:55   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Here's what I currently am interested in: U.S. Navy to Deploy Shipboard Laser Weapon in 2014 | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore News. Any idea on how many solar panels are needed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120730-N-PO203-076-1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	58894  

Old 09-04-2013, 23:45   #108

Well, here's why I, for one, have limited enthusiasm for seeing gun topics raised on a general discussion forum, let alone one about Health and Safety.

There are a number of areas where 'solutions' adopted by the US have eventually evolved to become either the problem they were attempting to solve, or worse than that problem.

For instance, the constitutional arrangements, which far from producing the most light-handed, compact, efficient and enlightened government in the world .... well, you can see where I'm going with that.
Or the rule of lawyers (in place of the rule of law) or the cult of the individual, or discretionary-consumption-fueled growth ....

And I think we can see that guns and ammo have become problem they were seeking to solve. Your citizens may be free, but they don't appear to feel very safe.

Regrettably the US has been very successful in exporting many of these 'solutions' to the rest of the world.

I personally think the success reflects badly on the rest of the world: despite having the opportunity to see how badly it has worked out in the place of origin, there seems undiminished and mindless enthusiasm for "monkey see, monkey do".

So, with regard to the narrow topic of guns, in the age of the www, I'm frankly sickened to see the increasing proportion of posts on general interest forums where gun afficionados proudly list their armoury, and seek public validation from like-minded others.

In terms of unintended consequences, it's a bit like GIs in earlier times handing out Coca-Cola except it seems to me they genuinely had no reason to know they were not dispensing something of great value, with no conceivable downside.

If this persists, I personally think it might be worth considering a sub-forum, requiring separate registration, where gun threads could be shifted. It seems like something better talked about in relative privacy, and that would also minimise the backlash and escalation into silliness.

But, in cases where the OP is actually attention-seeking rather than info-seeking, like a small boy who has discovered he has a willy and wants everyone to know, I guess that's not going to scratch their itch.

- - - - -

Evans has a valid point, granted, but it's narrow, for a specific and highly localised problem, with no bearing on the OP's question.

And to me armed convoys are not really a satisfactory long-term solution, and can only lead to an escalation in capability: do we really want pirates evolving along a continuum which leads to drone attacks, rocket grenades, or biological weapons used against cruising vessels? Remove the easy prey, and such a local predator will either switch to a more easily defended prey, and hopefully either be outgunned, or starve.

I personally think that people with superyachts could afford to use a different route, and cruisers should rearrange their priorities so they have time to use a different route.
It's like sailing in certain areas in the hurricane season: there are other options, and most people don't think twice.
Old 10-04-2013, 00:06   #109

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Oh you crazy sailors just love to disagree over guns aboard doncha?

In many ways, the seas are like the old West. Both sanctuary and danger. You can sail into the prairy wilderness to find your own space, away from the maddening world but with that freedom comes the occasional lawless high seas savage.

A gun in the hand beats the CoastGuard on the horn. It aint yet a socially engineered culture at sea and its the last place where the old pioneer spirit has a refuge.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:09   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Oh you crazy sailors just love to disagree over guns aboard doncha?

In many ways, the seas are like the old West. Both sanctuary and danger. You can sail into the prairy wilderness to find your own space, away from the maddening world but with that freedom comes the occasional lawless high seas savage.

A gun in the hand beats the CoastGuard on the horn. It aint yet a socially engineered culture at sea and its the last place where the old pioneer spirit has a refuge.
nope!you are over thinking it!
amy at the end of the day it's just blokes comparing their willies
Old 10-04-2013, 04:24   #111
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Arms on board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
It aint yet a socially engineered culture at sea and its the last place where the old pioneer spirit has a refuge.
Yeah.. the old pioneer spirit... exterminate the opposition... spoken from an English barn on a canalboat
right up your street gal...

Born To Be Wild
Old 10-04-2013, 06:17   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Well, here's why I, for one, have limited enthusiasm for seeing gun topics raised on a general discussion forum, let alone one about Health and Safety.

If you feel this way, then why do you waste so much of your time participating in the thread. Please leave the gun enthusiasts alone.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:44   #113

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
If you feel this way, then why do you waste so much of your time participating in the thread. Please leave the gun enthusiasts alone.
This is a boating forum. Maybe the gun enthusiasts could leave us alone?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:52   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
This is a boating forum. Maybe the gun enthusiasts could leave us alone?
The OP asked a legitimate "guns on boats" question and deserves well-thought out related answers. Not personal, opinionated or derogatory attacks. Some of us cruising enthusiasts here in the USA share his concerns, so he came to the right place for the answers.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:08   #115
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i carry two arms on board--my right and my left. when i have crew, i have 2 more.
i choose not to lose my home to wherever i am cruising because of contraband stowed inside it.
napoleonic law is a serious thing--
folks from usa think they are protected world wide by their bill of alleged rights--which is and has been being dispo-d by a fascist bastid in orifice. there is no coverage outside of usa, never was.

with armaments and arsenals in boats---you are making the choice to lose your boat/home when you enter any other country outside of usa.
searches of boats is serious, them finding something is even more serious.

is all your own personal choice--keep boat(no armaments)....lose boat(keep hidden guns and armaments).....

happy sails.

(now, where did i stow my flame-thrower...)
Old 10-04-2013, 07:12   #116

Boat: Hunter 340
Send a message via AIM to bgallinger

^5 Zee. Well said.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:14   #117

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
now, where did i stow my flame-thrower...)
Hmmmm... still having problems with the barbecue huh..?

Born To Be Wild
Old 10-04-2013, 07:37   #118

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Apparently, you didn't read most of the previous posts including mine. We always obey the laws of host countries, so no weapons overseas.

The OP asked his weapons question based on the premise that he's be cruising in USA waters, where it's legal to possess firearms.
Actually if you look back you'll see I've read and responded where I considered it appropriate... and apart from the levity the post before my last responded to your request...
Lighten up mate... you've been a CF member long enough to know how it goes with guns and anchors..
I was raised in a country that puts your gun culture in the shade.. (as your country and Russia found out invading Afghanistan).. they wander the streets with em...
yet I don't clamour for a gun on my boat...
Like you... when in Rome...

Born To Be Wild
Old 10-04-2013, 07:39   #119
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Apparently, you didn't read most of the previous posts including mine. We always obey the laws of host countries, so no weapons overseas.

The OP asked his weapons question based on the premise that he's be cruising in USA waters, where it's legal to possess firearms.

Yeah, I think they got that. It doesn't matter though, any opportunity to bash gun owners will do. Keep saying "abide by the laws of the country you're in", despite the fact that the OP created this thread in an attempt to do just that. Some people just like repeating the obvious.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:52   #120
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Points asked, answered, then beat to death......

Please move along; nothing to see here!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: