Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 06:01   #46
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Arms on board?

Would having a gun at the time have changed anything? Does one even need a gun to protect life and limb from a wallet thief?

Old 09-04-2013, 06:01   #47

Boat: Bristol 29(1967)

My problem with a gun, other than legal problems, is "when", do you decide to use it?

If you're in fear of someone who is 10-20 feet away(or more), or when someone's actually attacking you . . . which might be too late.

And if you have a gun . . . how big . . . how powerful? If it's a handgun, how true will your aim be anyway?

Maybe a stun-gun and a nice knife for most situations.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:05   #48
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

I once met a man who claimed to have laminated claymore mines into his rub rail, and incorporated an M-79 grenade launcher into his standing rigging, I explained to him that if he set off the mines they would sink his vessel as well, he promised that he would only use them "in extremis" . I felt that it could be a self defeating strategy. Back in the day, we used to travel on the vessel with firearms, their intent was for food gathering not pirate rejection, though I believe they would have come into play if that had occurred, it did not so we'll never know how that would have worked out. I am always torn between the inevitable conflict of being armed and having to use said arms on another human being regardless their intent and becoming a victim for lack of shooting back. The best weapon any of us have is the one between our ears, and with a little creativity and native cunning one can do without the fire arms, if only for the trouble they bring in other countries where they are not a universally accepted form of protection.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:06   #49

Boat: Bristol 29(1967)

Now that I think about it, I wonder about a starter's pistol(one that looks real).

After all even in police shootouts, most shots miss their marks.

So, maybe the bang is the best defense. If it's not the best defense then the criminal probably has more firepower, is more willing and knows how to use his gun better anyway.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:19   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Would having a gun at the time have changed anything? Does one even need a gun to protect life and limb from a wallet thief?

You obviously missed the entire point of my post, which was that each of us comes to the cruising lifestyle with different life experiences. Those CF members who feel the need to carry weapons in areas where it is legal to do so, should feel free to do so. Those members who disagree with the practice should leave them alone.

I will not engage in a non-productive gun debate.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:25   #51
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Arms on board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Just a side note to my original post which was a serious answer to the original OP question:

Three weeks ago in Madrid, my wife's wallet was stolen while on our way to the hotel from the airport. The thief had already charged over 1000 Euros on the credit cards and had probably even spent the $300 dollars in cash before we arrived at the hotel and notified the authorities. The rest of the world is not as safe as some folks outside the US would like us to believe.

The same thing has never happened to her here in the USA. It really isn't necessary for the international "smartie pants" types to be so judgmental of those folks who prefer to carry weapons. We all arrive to the cruising lifestyle with different life experiences.
I'd suggest to you what I said to an ex-girlfriend who had that happen in Almeria... 'make sure your hand bag is closed properly next time you silly cow'
Opportunist thieves are all over the world... if you catch em at it punch em.. don't need a gun..
Sloppy personal security is sloppy security and a gun won't change that.. else you'd have phoned in the theft at the airport or grabbed/chased the thief.
I can just imagine the delight in Madrid if they found your locked and loaded AK47 in your luggage..

Born To Be Wild
Old 09-04-2013, 06:26   #52
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
You obviously missed the entire point of my post, which was that each of us comes to the cruising lifestyle with different life experiences. Those members who feel the need to carry weapons in areas where it is legal to do so, should feel free to do so. Those members who disagree with the practice should leave them alone.

I will not engage in a non-productive gun debate.

I got the point, did you?

I think your using an example of the need to carry a gun to protect aganist a pick pocket is basically saying you are willing to shot the pick pocket!

I'm not debating guns, I'm debating the reasons people carry them.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:29   #53

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:

Just a side note to my original post which was a serious answer to the original OP question:

Three weeks ago in Madrid, my wife's wallet was stolen while on our way to the hotel from the airport. The thief had already charged over 1000 Euros on the credit cards and had probably even spent the $300 dollars in cash before we arrived at the hotel and notified the authorities. The rest of the world is not as safe as some folks outside the US would like us to believe.

The same thing has never happened to her here in the USA. It really isn't necessary for the international "smartie pants" types to be so judgmental of those folks who prefer to carry weapons. We all arrive to the cruising lifestyle with different life experiences.
Theft can of course happen anywhere. The only time I have ever been robbed was in an upscale neighborhood in the USA...at gun point. It happened because I was not expecting it there and was not paying attention.

What would my having a gun have changed? It would have probably gotten me shot.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:35   #54

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
The rest of the world is not as safe as some folks outside the US would like us to believe.
Nor is the US as dangerous as some seem to think.

However, I would consider a sailboat with a ready loaded gun on board to be a less safe place than one without.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:39   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Nor is the US as dangerous as some seem to think.

However, I would consider a sailboat with a ready loaded gun on board to be a less safe place than one without.
as oscar pretorius found out!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:50   #56
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Arms on board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
His fiancÚ did... that's for sure..

Born To Be Wild
Old 09-04-2013, 07:53   #57
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

That guy is a moron. He broke every basic rule of gun safety when he killed his girl. He deserves some retribution.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:10   #58

The best weapon is intelligence and situational awareness. Every other weapon's effectiveness is either enhanced or diminished, depending on any particluar individuals skill set, or lack of same, in these two areas.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:12   #59

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Recent gun/jail issues:
That weirdo in Mexico with the face tattoos. See the other post.
The poor guy (non sailor) with an antique firearm which is allowed. The mexis locked him up anyway for months.
That guy with one frickin bullet in the Bahamas. And no guns!
and so on........
Old 09-04-2013, 08:50   #60

Boat: Bristol 34

I am an enthusiastic advocate for arms on board a boat!!

It's not that I have anything against amputees sailing, but have found that my arms are very helpful for pulling all those strings that make my boat go.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: