Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 02:34   #76
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Armed Boardings in Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
It shows how unstable and dangerous the world is now.
I see no evidence of that. specific acts of terrorism have been going on in Europe for a large part of the 19th, 20 and 21st century. IN fact arguably Europe, for example is a far safer place today then at most other times in its quite violent history.

All I see is fear mongering

dave
Old 02-03-2015, 02:37   #77
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Sad story. Being aware is important. Over the past 30 years, yet especially the past 15, the world has become a much more dangerous place. I refuse to go anywhere near the Red Sea, Suez Canal, and Somalia. In fact, all of North Africa and much of the Eastern Indian Ocean is now on my "No go" list. Modern day privacy is a real concern. Of all the things that concern me, please guess which of the following has me truly nervous:

1) Whales
2) Lost shipping containers
3) Heavy seas
4) A broken rudder
5) Armed criminals boarding my vessel

Sail safely, and carry a big stick. And don't be afraid to use it.

Firstly, theres a whole wide world out there that is not, Red Sea and North Africa ( and since when was much of North Africa a cruiser destination , anyway).

As for modern day piracy , its isolated and rare unless you knowingly put yourself in harms way .

As for " carrying a big stick", rules and regs make it pretty much impossible

dave
Old 02-03-2015, 02:43   #78
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Surely you are joking, but about people murdered by terrorists? That would be sick.

We were talking about countries that have become less safe and I listed a bunch that you were calling nonsense. You are wrong but you will turn and twist words until you think you're right, still laughing it off. Hope you may laugh a very long time, but I'm a bit more cautious about my safety.
Heres what you quoted

Quote:
Except in France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Turkey, UK, Denmark, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Yemen, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Mali, Somalia, Israel, Jordan, Philippines, Venezuela, Mexico, Australia, India, Pakistan etc.
i would argue and with considerable justification that,, including France, Belgium, Germany, UK, etc ( i.e. western countries) is just ridiculous, These are safe place for sailors and cruisers, IN that regard you leave out the US, which is inexplicable

Im not laughing at terrorist and their unfortunate victims, Im laughing at people that would take these specific situations, which are a specific product of Western policy in the Middle East and try and run around doing a Chicken- Little on it.

dave
Old 02-03-2015, 02:44   #79
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
if you did not know. big war in couple of years imminent.

These pirates are enpoverished people displaced by multinationals. No fish left to catch. worst case is Med but media hiding any way they can. no solution here, except see first sentence.
where is the serious piracy happening in the med. I though the Brits and the french sorted that out in 1890
Old 02-03-2015, 03:07   #80

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
where is the serious piracy happening in the med. I though the Brits and the french sorted that out in 1890
times have changed lot since that time. hint : pirates may be called today something else...

it will come to you one day, if not earlier when action will start in your backyard.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:11   #81
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
times have changed lot since that time. hint : pirates may be called today something else...

it will come to you one day, if not earlier when action will start in your backyard.

I have about 20 years left on the planet, maybe 25, My backyard is in good shape. I see no geopolitical events that will worry me at the moment.

Ps: re hint, what are pirates so called , that are active in the Med, ( well of course there is the greeks and their cruising tax !! lol)
Old 02-03-2015, 03:31   #82

Boat: LAGOON 400

there is lots of tensions in Med basin. Couple of wars in last couple of years for starters, cant be bothered counting.

Hope you will avoid the mess, maybe not...

looks to me anyone with boat will be looked at as beneficiary of west politics so ok to rob/kill etc.

not easy to find good cruising grounds these days.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:38   #83
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
we can have a big debate on geopolitical tensions

but seriously

All of the Northern Med to as far east as Turkey
European Atlantic coasts , inc Ireland, Uk, Northern Europe, A large part of the baltic , sweden, Norway , baltic states etc

USA, west and east coasts, Canada, large parts of the Carribean, Cuba, parts of South America, both east and west coasts,

Japan, Australia, PNG, New zealand, Arguably places like China, Vietnam etc are beginning too open up. Most of Indonesia , sinapore, etc

South Africa, lots of African continents etc

This still leaves a huge number of island nations, and island chains as well

The world is a big place and less dangerous that when Slocum left.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:55   #84
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Armed Boardings in Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
I totally agree with you. What I think is those who want to minimise any talk of dangers or threats on board a boat are the same anti gun extremists he jump down anyone's throat the moment the subject of defending yourself comes up. I'm not wanting to be rude or unkind but I do think some people live in a fantasy world that is built around their beliefs rather than being realists and acting according to reality.

To think that everything is hunky dory in the world and we need not worry is pretty extreme thinking in my view.
You guys seriously crack me up... WTF did you think the world was like before 9/11 tightened your nutz...
Its always been dangerous.. just that now its inside your borders as well.. the rest of the world has been living with it for a F*^$in long time.. the only difference today is the instant media ramming stuff you'd never have heard about just 30yrs ago.. today they make it sound like its next door.. not halfway round the world.
Feel safe walking round the States with your weapon..?
No one messes with you coz you've a gun..?
Wrong.. you just been in the right place at the right time.. so far.
Just like millions of others everyday..
Chill Out.. lose the persecution complex it attracts.. life's to short for all this tension..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:59   #85
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You guys seriously crack me up... WTF did you think the world was like before 9/11 tightened your nutz...
Its always been dangerous.. just that now its inside your borders as well.. the rest of the world has been living with it for a F*^$in long time.. the only difference today is the instant media ramming stuff you'd never have heard about just 30yrs ago.. today they make it sound like its next door.. not halfway round the world.
Chill Out.. lose the persecution complex it attracts.. life's to short for all this tension..
you tell em Boatie,

welcome to our world USA-ers. Its been a bit messy for while here, but we manage.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:18   #86

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
well said

whether it's crime, celebrity worship or weather, the media makes it far bigger than ever before.

Just think how much TV news we had 30, 40 years ago. A few hours a night in the largest cities. Places like Alaska got yesterdays's telecast shipped by airplane for broadcast the following day or sometimes two days.

Now, we have multiple 24/7 news outlets and they must attract you whatever way they can. Fear works.

So storms have names, every snowfall is the biggest ever and bla bla bla

Welcome to the 21st century, where we can find new ways to scare you and get you to watch.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:08   #87
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I have been working and traveling around the world for the past 32 years on a regular basis and my travels have rarly been to "touristy places" more of the opposite in fact and I assure you the world is about to witness events that will effect us all in ways that no one living has experienced..There are those that will hide their heads in the sand and deny anything out of the ordinary will happen and that's your prerogative, then there will be those that spread rumors of war and doom again their prerogative,just because they believe they are correct doesn't make it so.. All the places in the world that have alienated themselves from what has propelled humanity into the "correct way" of doing things(weather you agree with the "correct way" or not is mute at this point )will soon experience what it is to deny the "correct way"..... I stated a while back that Putin would be ridden out of Russia on a pole if oil went below 100 a barrel and I belive that is what is happening right now ,the pole is being chopped down as we speak, same for Muduro and others of that ilk ..If you cant see the Geo-politico moves that are going on in plan site or if one confuses what is happening as business as usual you are in for a rude awakening..I dont say these things as a war monger and certinly not chicken little but all one has to do is ask our friends in Ukraine,Venezuela or the Middle East etc. if the sky is falling..I fill very sorry for those on here that have forsaken their home countrys while prasing others that they have no national connection to,what are you going to do if you are out there on your sailboat and the sky really does fall? As always I hope I am wrong concerning my stance on what is happing and going to happen but im not...All this from a guy that wont use paragraphs!!
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:47   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
...All this from a guy that wont use paragraphs!!
The other things you mentioned aside, that part brought a smile to my face.

Me: "I really want a 42' Hinckley."

God: "But a 52' Little Harbor has about 4 more feet of beam, twice the fuel and water capacity, and enough hardwood interior to choke your polishing cloth."

Me: "You're right, as usual. Damn it."
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:59   #89
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Armed Boardings in Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I have been working and traveling around the world for the past 32 years on a regular basis and my travels have rarly been to "touristy places" more of the opposite in fact and I assure you the world is about to witness events that will effect us all in ways that no one living has experienced..There are those that will hide their heads in the sand and deny anything out of the ordinary will happen and that's your prerogative, then there will be those that spread rumors of war and doom again their prerogative,just because they believe they are correct doesn't make it so.. All the places in the world that have alienated themselves from what has propelled humanity into the "correct way" of doing things(weather you agree with the "correct way" or not is mute at this point )will soon experience what it is to deny the "correct way"..... I stated a while back that Putin would be ridden out of Russia on a pole if oil went below 100 a barrel and I belive that is what is happening right now ,the pole is being chopped down as we speak, same for Muduro and others of that ilk ..If you cant see the Geo-politico moves that are going on in plan site or if one confuses what is happening as business as usual you are in for a rude awakening..I dont say these things as a war monger and certinly not chicken little but all one has to do is ask our friends in Ukraine,Venezuela or the Middle East etc. if the sky is falling..I fill very sorry for those on here that have forsaken their home countrys while prasing others that they have no national connection to,what are you going to do if you are out there on your sailboat and the sky really does fall? As always I hope I am wrong concerning my stance on what is happing and going to happen but im not...All this from a guy that wont use paragraphs!!
The 'Sky Falling' is like that Jimmy Buffet or whoevers song..
"It's 5 o'clock Somewhere..!!"
always has been.. always will.. for someone..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:05   #90
Eternal Member

Quote:

Well, I'd suggest you're probably not looking very hard... :-)

It's pretty simple, really... The closer to the Equator, the greater the risk, as a very general rule... So, yeah, I suppose for those who insist the waters they be cruising in be the temperature of bathwater, then your choices do become a bit more limited...

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Venezuela