Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 09:41   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Are You on the Fence ?

This comes up now, and then on CF. Let me give a wee bit of insight from my point of view. I believe it is Zeehag's signature that says LIFE IS AN ADVENTURE MEANT TO BE LIVED, or something like that!

I have lived my life in this way since birth it seems. My mother always worried where I would end up, or how I would end up. I have never been a regular to the time clock, and pretty much lived the life of a vagabond. Telling myself at 45 I could get a job, and work 20 years for retirement.

That job never came along, and is there such a thing as a retirement anymore? The world is not a safe, or guaranteed place. My ex always said in another life I must have been an explorer. I am always wanting to see what's around the bend, or over the horizon. I have always been of the go now crowd, and more than ever I am glad I have been. We all get through life differently, and my way is not for everyone that's for sure. Recently I have had a new appreciation for my beliefs.

So for those of you on the fence of when to slip the dock lines. Here is the reality of what happened to me. Most here know I left Florida in May headed for Hawaii, and then home to S.F. In an attempt to leave Panama while feeling perfectly healthy, and capable. I became extremely ill overnight. Unfortunately it was the first night out. As always I pushed this feeling aside thinking it was motion sickness. Something I very rarely get.

I started feeling this tiny mass under the skin on my neck several days before we left. I thought nothing of it. At 59 things show up on our bodies. That first night sailing it started to grow, and within 3 days it was the size of a golfball.

The pain was excruciating, and kept me from sleep. I would lay in my berth as Melanie was sailing the boat, and worry. Still hoping it would be something that would pass such as an ear infection. After a day, or so I was finally sleeping from exhaustion, but it was in very small increments. At the end of 3 days we had finally passed Isla Malpelo, and I had fallen into a stupor of sleep. I could not do my watch, and Melanie was single-handing the boat. The ITCZ can be a most uncomfortable place.

Through my stupidity I put us in a bad situation. Melanie was feeling the results of sleep deprivation. She woke to a freighter bearing down on us. She woke me, and as I looked into the binoculars the freighter filled the lenses. There wasn't time for fear to set in. We tacked, and tacked flawlessly. Just in time to watch the hull slip by in complete silence as I remember. We were so close I could see well lit hallways, and individual doors slipping past.

Then the fear, and anger set in. I was mad at myself, and I was mad at Melanie. It only took minutes before I realized that Melanie held no fault, it was mine. Something I thought nothing of. It turned out to be something very significant, and I went from what I thought was healthy to extremely sick in a matter of days.

I showed Melanie my neck, and explained what had been happening to me over the last several days. I explained we were an accident waiting to happen, and we needed to turn back. According to the grib files we were a day, or so away from the trades headed to Hawaii. It was not a hard decision to make, but it was a sad one for me.

To my point of being on the fence. Your health can slip away immediatley with no warning at all. I am fortunate is all I can type. We flew back to the states, and I am in the S.F. Bay Area. Unfortunately Mel is in Florida working, and being seperated is tough. I am getting cancer treatment at UCSF. The mass grew from golfball size to the size of my outstretched hand. From fingertip to wrist, and from thumb to small finger.

I have recieved 3 chemo sessions. One lasting over 5 hours, and the others over 2 hours. The mass has shrunk to less than half it's size, and I can again raise, and lower my chin. I can once again turn my head to the left. The day of the first chemo I could not put a cap on my head without severe pain. The next day I could wear my cap, and a week later I feel fantastic. I have not experienced side effects of the chemo, and I continue to stay busy, and ride my bicycle.

Today I recived the best news of all. My abdomen has been declared clean. It looks like some radiation, and MAYBE some more chemo will put me back on the boat soon. Just in time for the trades to turn to Hawaii.

Please remember this is not a story about me. It's a story about you, and your decision to leave the dock. Hone your skills of sailing. Make sure you can afford the boat you have, and it won't deplete your funds. Make sure you, and the boat are ready, and then sail. SAILING IS NOT ALWAYS A SLICK MAGAZINE COVER, but what it truly is, is Magic! It is rewarding, and for me it is life itself. Well, that & my little brown love Melanie!......i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0653.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	20767   Click image for larger version

Name:	STANIEL CAY-MEL&JOHN.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	20768  

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:46   #2

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
I2F,
you are one of the few that can take the horrible situation you are in, and turn it into something inspirational for others. Thank you,
Spencer
Old 03-11-2010, 09:49   #3

Wow that's quite a story! I am glad to hear things seem to be going you way and I hope they continue to! Get some good wind.

Safe Travels!
Rolf the Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
... SAILING IS NOT ALWAYS A SLICK MAGAZINE COVER, but what it truly is, is Magic! It is rewarding, and for me it is life itself. Well, that & my little brown love Melanie!......i2f
Thanks for sharing your personal story, which definitely supports and puts your philosophical point in perspective.
I’m pleased to learn that your treatments are working!
I’m also looking forward to reading the further adventures of I2F and crew.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:54   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'
Keep the faith and travel where you will. I am glad you were able to overcome your adversity. Every day is a gift, none of us know when we may pass on to the next adventure.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:56   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I2F, I'm happy to hear that you can still type! Turning back is a tough decision, but it sure was the right one in your case. As we get older, the medical reefs and shoals become our biggest hazards. We are still planning the Panama/Hawaii run next year, and hope to see you on the water.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:17   #7

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
In the words of a great american, Chris Ledoux..."Get back on that pony and ride!"

I hope you get wellest and get back out there soon..

We are not on the fence, but are constrained by rugratz and $$$...we are laying plans though..when the last one slips the leash we want to be ready to bail.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:24   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I hope you have a speedy recovery and are able to make the voyage soon. Please keep us updated.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:34   #9

Boat: Allures 44
That's beautiful, I2F. Thank you and best of luck!

Colin
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:57   #10
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
thanks what a story.!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:03   #11

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Great news, I2F! I've been wondering how you were. Jumping in has been my habit as well, tho' I'm getting more cautious with age. Just finished a 6 day shakedown of my new old boat, crossing the Sea of Cortez from San Carlos and now docked in Marina de La Paz. Getting some problems worked out and finally getting underway was a great feeling. I hope to run into you and Melanie down the way.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:11   #12

Boat: Irwin Custom 34 - Sailabration
Living Life

Yes, i2f... we think that truly living life is what it is all about as well - with whatever journey brings you hapiness at each moment in your life!

We have always chosen to design our own destiny - and enjoy life NOW!

Keep on getting stronger and this little hiccup in your journey will soon be in the past! We'll send out our "good vibrations" into the universe and be thinking of you!

September
jazzsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:22   #13

Boat: Sceptre 41
Glad to hear all is going well I2F. Looking forward to hearing about your trip to Hawaii.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:30   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, John. Very good advice, indeed. Too many wait for one "good reason" or another, until it's too late. I'm very glad you're getting your condition under control so you can continue your voyages.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:34   #15

Hoping you stay well and get back on the boat soonest! Glad you posted the story, and echoing your sentiments to all those who are still scheming and dreaming their adventures in the future -- GO!
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote