Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 11:02   #76

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35
Re: Anything Better than Stugeron for Seasickness ?

Am not prone to mal de mer myself (knock on wood) but always keep crystallized ginger on board for others. It always seems to work immediately for anyone starting to get sick. Have had people on board using all sorts of things, from patches and wrist bands to drugs. Am just against over-medication in general. There IS one main drawback with the crystallized ginger....it disappears too quickly.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:11   #77

Not to beat on ginger but I think cruisers need to be very careful to not make assumptions that food bought in the US (or Europe) is somehow more safe. The food supply chain is complex and opaque these days. There have been three serious problems with contaminated ginger from China being sold in the US recently.

In 2007, ginger from China sold at Albertsons and Whole Foods (among others) was found to have a dangerous level of the pesticide Aldicarb that is not even approved for use in the US.

Last fall, hard ginger candy in LA was found to have dangerous levels of lead.

In December, Whole Foods recalled their Christmas gingerbread houses in 23 US states for high levels of bacteria (although I haven't seen many ginger bread houses used for sea sickness cures).
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:33   #78

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

I believe that. Anything packaged overseas should be suspect (especially pills). We have ingested so many pesticides over the past 50 years that it's amazing we don't all glow in the dark. The entire issue of food safety is one coming to the forefront because of the opaque nature of these markets and the ethics-less people in the industry. Would avoid ingesting anything from China or India. I always try to choose fresh fruit/vegs with stickers from places I know about but who knows where anything really comes from nowadays? Buy from local farmer's markets when you can.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 16:30   #79
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
I believe that. Anything packaged overseas should be suspect (especially pills).
Damm there goes my Hershey bars , chips ahoy , that bag of bagels, Southern comfort and everything else from the US then.

Dave
Old 04-04-2011, 16:38   #80

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

The only thing I accept form an overseas supplier is Bundaberg rum...
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 17:42   #81

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Gold Standard??

NASA has probably invested more money in studying motion sickness than anyone else on the planet.

They have found that a combination of oral Scopolamine (0.4 mg) and Dexedrine (2.5-5 mg) taken together will aleviate the desire to die. In fact, it is the only known treatment that works when the symptoms of sea sickness are well established.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 18:09   #82

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
The only thing I accept form an overseas supplier is Bundaberg rum...
I'll go with rum in general, not much can survive in alcohol.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 21:34   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I believe that. Anything packaged overseas should be suspect (especially pills). We have ingested so many pesticides over the past 50 years that it's amazing we don't all glow in the dark. The entire issue of food safety is one coming to the forefront because of the opaque nature of these markets and the ethics-less people in the industry. Would avoid ingesting anything from China or India. I always try to choose fresh fruit/vegs with stickers from places I know about but who knows where anything really comes from nowadays? Buy from local farmer's markets when you can.
Hope you never have a headache then. Most, if not all, analgesics are now made overseas, primarily in India and China.

Check this link to the FTC:
Made in USA

Cheers
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 23:30   #84

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.

We tried both Sturgeron and Paihia Bombs (from Paihia in NZ). Hands down we both felt better on the Paihia bombs. Don't get me wrong both did work but I did still feel quite nauseous on the Sturgeron but never felt anything at all on the Paihia Bombs. The bombs are made by a Pharmacist in Paihia and they are happy to post overseas. Go on google it! I swear by them and love them. Going up to pick some up again this week.
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:57   #85

Not sure if anyone said bonine yet but that's what I use.

Everyone can get seasick. I'll hold you upside down in the bilge during a gale after eating some greasy food and let the diesel smell hit your noise. You'll hurl, just like a green faced kid on the lee rail :-)
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 23:51   #86
cruiser

Re: Anything Better than Stugeron for Seasickness?

My daughter and I both have used the scop patches with really good effect, I also used them with a very motion sensitive son in law who thought he was all better and wanted to go without drug, he was incapacitated about 4 hours past the 36 hour mark for the drug. I'm sold on the stuff and I think the only products I haven't tried are sturgeron and the electronic sea bands. The bonamine/dramamine/gravol all have greater side effects for me. You do have to keep hydrated though and keep sippin water to fight the dehydrating effect of the drug
Seabear RN
AquaticUrsidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 11:23   #87

Boat: Other people's!

My wife used to get sea sick looking at a boat. Really, throw up til the green stuff, slightest motion would set her off.

She contracted a viral inner ear infection that made her sea sick lying on the floor at home. Took a week before she could even get up. The Doc recommended pushing it as hard as possible - apparently the virus knocks out the nerves from the cochlea to the brain and pushing it hard rebuilds the pathways.

She forced herself to get up, vertigo hitting her constantly. Vacuumed the house! Refused to be laid low by it. Threw up constantly.

Upshot is, she is now immune to sea sickness. Totally. I'm reasonably ok with going below in a blow. She goes without hesitation. We did a race on a tri a few months ago, beating into 15ft waves, short, up and down like a fairground ride. Turned into the vomit comet. Half the crew laid out, decidedly green around the gills. My wife was down there tending to them all bless her.

Not that I'm advocating catching an inner ear infection. But anecdotal evidence that it is possible to retrain the brain.
Old 02-10-2012, 18:56   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
We discovered Stugeron (Google it) for mal de mer. It's an older antihistamine, is used by NASA among others, and has been around for years. It is not available in the US but is available over the counter in many other places (UK, Canada, BVI, Mexico, India). It's effective if taken orally before you go out or before you get sick. It has minimal side effects (as opposed to the patch). What's your experience been with it and what other effective ways do you deal with motion sickness?
I am in Australia. Can you please tell me where I can buy Stugeron Forte 75mg as they are not available in Australia.
JanetForster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 20:26   #89

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ginger Beer works wonders! (it's also the only beer i like LOL) I guess the ginger combined with the belching makes ya less Ill !! I keep it around, but Im lucky I don't suffer from sea sickness
Old 02-10-2012, 20:34   #90
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

It is in the Caspian sea..although the Beluga is better I am told ...oh aaa you were asking about something else.....
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness, stugeron