Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 07:16   #91

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)
Re: Anything Better than Stugeron for Seasickness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetForster View Post
Can you please tell me where I can buy Stugeron Forte 75mg as they are not available in Australia.
I imported some from Planet Drugs Direct 3 years ago, and the price was quite reasonable. But I just tried the website now and my browser popped up warning messages, so I closed it without looking further.

There are other international pharmacies that will supply without a script if you can wade through the scam sites ....and find one with reasonable delivery charges. I would be interested in your outcome. I would like to try some Scopolamine patches, which are also unavailable in Australia.
Old 03-10-2012, 15:52   #92
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetForster

I am in Australia. Can you please tell me where I can buy Stugeron Forte 75mg as they are not available in Australia.
I would not reccomend sturgeron forte for simple motion sickness. Ordinary strength sturgeron is more then sufficient.

Dave
Old 03-10-2012, 15:57   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Ginger is supposed to help. Getting outside and focusing on the horizon is probably the biggest help. Going below deck and staring at the boat is the worse thing you can do.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 14:09   #94
Marine Service Provider

Some people have good results with Bonine. The nice thing is that there are not any noticeable side effects!
JMcGarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 15:43   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

My last two cents on the subject: We used to induce hallucinations with Scopalamine all the time. We thought it was the best amnesic for heart surgery, but have since found much better drugs. I would never take that drug and get on the helm. I see things on the digital radar all the time without any drugs to enhance my imagination. (is that a wave or a crab pot??)
I have seen Tartive Dyskinesia with most antiemetics, not just the Canadian drugs.
I am thinking of bringing IV Zofran and other drugs that act synergistic with Zofran with me- these are very potent combinations that we sometimes use in the OR to counter the effects of ENT surgery. Would render a person somnolent for a while but would definitively treat this condition. Such Rx would not be for a non medical administration,(Zofran can damage you liver, others can play havoc with adrenals) but if I was 500 miles from port and somebody ready to tear their esophagus or risking kidney failure...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 16:05   #96

Boat: Finnsailer 38

My wife and son are prone to seasickness, while my daughter and I are usually fine except under the worst circumstances. Wife and son think Stugeron is the best. One pill and they are much better for many hours or even days. Scopalamine always seemed to do my wife in: hallucinations and the whole bit. Tried lower dose patches and it was still bad. Bonine works for some folks with mild cases.
Old 27-11-2012, 19:21   #97

Every seasickness med has side effects. They seem to affect different folks differently. One crew member was out for 12 hours after one Stugeron. My wife, the pharmacist, does not recommend Scopolamine as it can affect cognitive ability. (yes, there is a joke in there somewhere.)

Test them on land to determine what side effects you might have.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 05:32   #98

Suffered a bout of Benign Positional Vertigo a while back. The doc prescribed meclizine for that. Only took about half the pills before I was feeling fine again.

Fast forward to about a month ago. Heading to the BVI for a week's charter, and I decided to take the meclizine with me just in case. I am almost always afflicted by some degree of sea sickness the first day or two on a boat in any kind of seas (the good news for me is that I toss up my lunch, wipe my chin, and get right back to sailing--it does not incapacitate me like it does some people).

Had pretty rough weather the first couple of days of the charter, but a meclizine in the morning and I felt right as rain the whole time. No serious drowsiness, or other side-effects. Next time I'm looking for a sea-sickness cure I'll ask the doctor if she'll prescribe some meclizine.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 10:34   #99

Boat: 1968 Pearson Wanderer 30 - "Grizabella"

I like Bonine and Dramamine II (which basically are the same thing). As far as side effects, I do find that they both make me very drowsy, but it takes several hours before that drowsiness sets in. So I usually take 1/2 pill in the morning before heading out, I'll be good all day, and then by late in the afternoon or early evening, I start getting sleepy, and that's fine, because I'm going to bed anyhow.
ILikeRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 10:49   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Had pretty rough weather the first couple of days of the charter, but a meclizine in the morning and I felt right as rain the whole time. No serious drowsiness, or other side-effects. Next time I'm looking for a sea-sickness cure I'll ask the doctor if she'll prescribe some meclizine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
I like Bonine and Dramamine II (which basically are the same thing). As far as side effects, I do find that they both make me very drowsy, but it takes several hours before that drowsiness sets in. So I usually take 1/2 pill in the morning before heading out, I'll be good all day, and then by late in the afternoon or early evening, I start getting sleepy, and that's fine, because I'm going to bed anyhow.
Meclozine is marketed as Bonine and Dramamine. The possible side effect of drowsiness is exacerbated by alcohol, so it's an additional reason to lay off the booze if you are taking it ..

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 06:53   #101

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Be careful when you suggest a medication! You really do not want to experiment with a new medication while at sea. No two people will react the same way to a medication. Please leave the prescribing to a physician/pharmacist, as he or she must know which medications you are taking and which medication could react with what you will be taking. It is not a simple process, to recommend a medication. <Take my advice - I am Board Certified; it is free!>
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 07:15   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Be careful when you suggest a medication! You really do not want to experiment with a new medication while at sea. No two people will react the same way to a medication. Please leave the prescribing to a physician/pharmacist, as he or she must know which medications you are taking and which medication could react with what you will be taking. It is not a simple process, to recommend a medication. <Take my advice - I am Board Certified; it is free!>
I dont think anyone is recommending anything, they are just relating personal experiences.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 08:07   #103

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Teknav... one of the more sensible and valuable pieces of advice that went right by me until you mentioned it. My better half is a PA and mentioned that regardless of the success some of us have seen with several remedies, there are risks, occasionally serious ones, associated with many remedies depending on your body's reaction. Always a good idea to check with a medical professional and take a seasick remedy long before you actually need it to ensure there aren't serious side effects. Thanks for pointing out this issue. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 08:53   #104
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

We found that the Relief Band method worked quite well. This is a TENS unit on the wrist and has actually been empirically tested and found to be effective for reducing nausea in cancer patients, for which it was originally developed. Unfortunately (and for reasons unknown) the manufacturer stopped making them, so they are hard to find, new, but some shops apparently still have some stock (although I note that the prices being asked are about 50% higher than what we paid).

Relief Band Explorer (Reusable) - Sporty's Pilot Shop

We used the following protocol for susceptible crew with great success:

1. Beginning 2 days prior to departure, dosing with Emergen C.
2. Beginning 1 day prior to departure, include ginger snaps/ginger ale (must be with actual ginger, not fake flavors!) as snacks.
3. Start using Relief Band at departure.

Using this, we've only had one crew member that had to resort to the Scop patch and I'm not sure that was actually needed.

I cannot underscore too much the sound advice given by the medical professionals, above. Consult a physician/pharmacist first before using the meds discussed. Some of these side effects are very nasty.

Although not commonly known, there is also an opposite condition experienced by (fortunately) few people, called disembarkment syndrome. They can't get their land legs. It can be quite disabling.

Mal de debarquement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness, stugeron