Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 10:42   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40
I mis-typed. Reputable internet sales. What I see online is from India, Thailand, not sure if I trust those sites.
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:22   #62

Boat: ex-Tartan 40
Since there's no single remedy that works for all, I always bring along an array of options when I'm the offshore medic. In my experience, stugeron and oral meclizine seem to have similar effectiveness (moderate when used preventively, limited if the crew member is already not feeling well) with minimal side effects. Most people can function quite normally with the base doses of either medication, but not all. Anyone taking a medication for the first time shouldn't be on watch alone or making judgments without oversight and they shouldn't be on deck unless there is no safe alternative.

I've seen good results with the scopolamine patch used prophylactically, but it is more likely to impair judgment. We tried to have a double watch if someone had a patch on, but we were always able to have everyone off meds by 48 hours. It is better to adjust the dose by taking the patch off and then putting it back on rather than cutting it for the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread.

Compazine or promethazine suppositories are good to have available as a treatment for intractable vomiting and dehydration. Promethazine is theoretically more likely to be effective given the vestibular nature of motion sickness, but, to be honest, either seems to work. The crew member is likely to feel better pretty quickly, but shouldn't be trusted on watch alone for several hours.

I've brought IV setups and saline but never used them. Flattened coke or ginger ale, gatorade or even home made rehydration fluid (1 tsp salt, 1-2 tbsp sugar in 1 qt of water) will usually work if the vomiting can be stopped.

I haven't gotten seasick in 30 years, but I will never forget doing a delivery up the California coast around 1980 in a 35 ft Taiwan-built cutter. We left Monterrey for SF after a heavy dinner with wine at dark Typical summer winds and 8 -10 ft seas. Within two hours I had tossed the previous day's food and, I still believe, everything down to my a'hole. I recall the saying that the second worst thing that could happen was that I would die. The worst was that I wouldn't. Around 2AM I heard a conversation in the cockpit that the wind was up; the jib needed to come in; the furler was jammed and I was the only person they could think of to send up the mast who would know what to do when he got there. After a few preparatory moans, needless to say, I figured out a way to control the jib that didn't involve swinging from that f'ing mast. Next day -- sunshine, a horizon and recovery, but I'll never forget how bad I felt that night.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 13:00   #63

Robertson's pharmacy in St. George Bermuda always has Stugeron, and you can get 75 mg pills of it that cure "anitsociability," whatever that means. For motion sickness the dose is 25 mg. .
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 13:20   #64

I continue to have good results (and no objectionable side effects) with the oral form of the patch called Scopace for myself and with guests. I think there's some validity to the theory that people have different skin absorbency (including from stuff like suntan lotion) that can cause over and under dosing with the one-size-fits-all patch. The pill dose is consistent and seems to work just as quickly. It's also easy to taper the does down by splitting the pills to the lowest effective dosage for an individual as a way to minimize side effects.

Motion Sickness - Prevent It and Enjoy Your Travel with Scopace

Be very careful of the 75mg Stugeron pills. I've heard that they can have very serious side effects (but can't remember the details).

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 14:29   #65
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
would not reccomend Stugeron Forte ( 75mg) for seasickness relief, 15-20mg is all that needed.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 14:37   #66

Note that I said, "For motion sickness the dose is 25 mg."
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 15:12   #67

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Quote:
Be very careful of the 75mg Stugeron pills. I've heard that they can have very serious side effects (but can't remember the details).
Re: Cinnarizine (Stugeron)

The most common antihistaminic side-effect of cinnarizine is sedation which can vary from slight drowsiness to deep sleep, and including inability to concentrate, lassitude, dizziness, and incoördination. Sedative effects, when they occur, may diminish after a few days.
Other side-effects include gastro-intestinal disturbances such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea or constipation, anorexia or increased appetite and epigastric pain.
Somnolence and gastro-intestinal disturbances are usually transient and may often be prevented by achieving the optimum dosage gradually.
Cinnarizine may also produce antimuscarinic effects such as blurred vision, difficulty in micturition, dysuria, dryness of mouth and tightness of chest.
Central effects may include muscular weakness, headache and euphoria.
Weight gain, perspiration or allergic reactions may be observed. Cases of lichen planus and lupus-like symptoms and an isolated case of cholestatic jaundice have been reported.
In elderly people cases of aggravation or an appearance of extrapyramidal symptoms sometimes associated with depressive feelings have been described during prolonged therapy. The treatment should be discontinued in such cases.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:38   #68

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Stugeron price/availability?

It appears that 25 mg Stugeron (cinnarizine) is still one of the better treatments/preventives for seasickness. Considering that one cannot buy it in the US, what's the best/most reliable on-line source in terms of price per tab? (I found a Canadian pharma for 45.50 Can/hundred.)
Old 04-04-2011, 06:45   #69

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Re: Anything Better than Stugeron for Seasickness ?

Most recent trip we tried the Stugeron 15mg for the first time. WOW! what a difference. Even my 8yo daughter felt great the whole time. My wife felt a little sleepy but the rest of us felt no side effects at all.
I had picked it up on a trip to Bermuda but could only get 3 boxes at the store I found. (All they had)

Now I need to find a more reliable source too.

Any reason I couldn't get a friend in Bermuda to FedEx them over to me?
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:57   #70

From the US I bought 100 15mg brand name pills for $35 plus $10 shipping from these guys. No prescription is required. I would stay away from the larger pills as they can have substantial side effects.

www.CanadaDrugsOnline.com

The order took about two weeks to arrive. If I remember correctly, it was shipped from the UK.

Carl
Old 04-04-2011, 07:03   #71

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

All this talk about powerful drugs...scary! If I had to pop pills to go sailing, would choose to do something else. Ginger, in many forms, works without putting a lot of destructive chemical crap in your body.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:48   #72
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
All this talk about powerful drugs...scary! If I had to pop pills to go sailing, would choose to do something else. Ginger, in many forms, works without putting a lot of destructive chemical crap in your body.
Thats fine for you, many people need a little help. Stugeron is the best and in the small doses that are reccomended, safe and reliable, dont scare monger.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:25   #73

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
dont scare monger.
Taking some pill that comes from unknown sources, as it seems has been suggested, is inviting a placebo effect at best, a case of poisoning at worst. Have had great results from ginger root (raw)and crystallized ginger. Extracts are supposed to work well. Not scare mongering pal, just pointing out that disregarding simple solutions, used for centuries such as this in favor of some FDA-unapproved drug, without medical advice, guessing at dosage, from a foreign source is probably taking undue risk. Recently watched a report on public tv documenting the fake pill "industry" and the things they put in these look-alikes.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:29   #74

Stugeron 15mg doses hardly qualifies as a scary drug. It's been available without prescription for decades in the UK. You can find it on the racks, sometimes right next to the ginger pills. And remember that ginger is a complex chemical too that has it's own side effects such as blood thinning.

Most people have to experiment to find the best sea sickness remedy for them. It varies widely. There's no doubt that severe dehydration from bad seasickness can be far more dangerous than the side effects of these drugs.

Carl
Old 04-04-2011, 10:50   #75

Scare mongering is a pretty good term.

Stugeron has been produced and marketed since 1957 by Jannsen Pharmaceuticals a wholly owned division of Johnson and Johnson (NYSE: JNJ). The dosage is printed on the package. I believe it's made in Belgium.

On the other hand, ginger comes almost exclusively from second and third world countries. 50% from India. There is virtually no quality control on production or supply chain, no information on sourcing, no FDA approval, no agreement on the proper dose.

Don't get me wrong. I use ginger more often than Stugeron (I love ginger snaps) but not because it's safer than Stugeron.

Tags
sea sickness, stugeron