Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 08:48   #46

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Well, it was a joke - but if you have ever seen a very seasick person, you would think it possible.

Mark
Should have added the thing. Ive Seen it like that with crew on the floor by the mast curled up fetal for 3 days not to funny really. some people come around some can get treated with meds others are just wicked ill. Its a wide swing of how people are effected and what works for one wont for another. Bonine works for my son but he wont take it until hes already getting queezy. But when he takes it it will turn him around usually about 20 minutes.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:27   #47
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
and what other effective ways do you deal with motion sickness?
Sitting under a tree for an hour seems to work every time.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:34   #48

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
My wife is prone to seasickness and the only OTC that works for her is Marezine (sp?). It has been a constant companion on every trip we have made from the BC coast to Mexico over the years. It seems to be the only thing that works after the onset of symptoms. Anything else she seems to lose before it is in her long enough to take effect. Thankfully I've not been seasick since my first trip towing a black oil barge out of Vancouver Canada into a head on buck at the age of 15. Put many 1000's of miles on since then without losing it once, fortunately.
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:07   #49

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
For severe nausea and vomiting with risk of dehydration, carry Compazine suppositories on the boat. You will need a prescription but it is cheap. Pedialyte (a electrolyte solution for children) or Gatorade can be used rectally to treat severe dehydration. My wife threatens sick crew with her turkey baster if they aren't drinking any fluids.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:11   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

About 20 years ago a good friend of mine had brain surgery, where they went in through the ear and destroyed his inner ear (just one side, and they knew this would be the outcome). Once he re-learned how to keep his balance he apparently became immune to seasickness.

Not that I am recommending this approach...
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:11   #51

Should Tardive Dyskenesia (uncontrolled movements) occur with antiemetic, give 25mg Benadryl to reverse the effect.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:35   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
For severe nausea and vomiting with risk of dehydration, carry Compazine suppositories on the boat.
Can you contrast/compare Compazine and Promethazine suppositories (which my doctor prescribed)?

We also carry the scop patches in the med kit, and I don't really know when I might put a patch on a very sick crewmember, or when the suppository is indicated instead. I suppose we might try the patch first, and if that doesn't work go to the suppository (and make the now-groggy crewmember get some sleep). Fortunately, we've never needed to break into the prescription stuff. It's been close a couple of times, but so far everyone had pulled through within three days.

By the way, in the October 2010 issue of Latitude 38, there is an article that mentions a near-fatality due to sea sickness, with torn blood vessels in the esophagus.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:43   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
If a person has two or more sea-sickness meds on board (like scope and a suppository) Do not trust them with the helm, and keep them tied in. The're judgement may be seriously impaired.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:54   #54

Promethazine (Phenergan) works but I think Compazine is better; it is used to treat nausea in patients getting cancer chemotherapy. 5-HT3 antagonists such as Zofran may be better but are very expensive. I would reserve either Compazine or Phenergan suppositories to those crew showing signs of dehydration. Both will make the person sleepy. Signs to look for for dehyration include not urinating and loss of skin turgor. This can be diagnosed by pinching the skin on the back of the hand together then releasing; it should snap back into position right away - if it doesn't the person is becoming dehydrated. Pedialyte is over the counter in any phamacy and is a good fliuid to replace water and electrolytes as is Gatorade. I use Scop patches for the first three days of a trip. Seems to work but it must be started the day before and certainly before you get sick.
Old 22-11-2010, 11:32   #55

Do you experience side effects of the medication which would/does interfere with your responsibilities on the boat as captain or crew? Reading charts, keeping lookout, being drowsy or slow to react to anything requiring reaction?
twarthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 19:13   #56

I just replied to another blog concerning seasickness. I take Stugeron (25 mg) just prior to leaving port and only take another if or when the motion of the boat becomes more severe, as in heavy weather. I do not like taking pills and so I personally would not take Stugeron every day while sailing. I find that after the first day or so, I get used to the boat's motion and have no problem with seasickness, even below decks. Everyone is different but I believe most people do get over seasickness after a few days at sea. There are certainly some who don't, no matter how long they are out. For them, it is no doubt a constant search for a remedy.
satnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 19:42   #57

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Heavy weather aside (when I am usually more worried about other issues than sea sickness) I find the first 24 hrs is the hurdle. I usually manage this by leaving port for a a day stay at a departure anchorage nearby where I get used to the motion and get the boat ready for longer haul. If this happens to be a bit rolly then so much the better. Only adds a short time to a cruise and everyone on board is better prepared.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:20   #58
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
My wife used Bonine the last time we where out and it really worked for her. The side effect was that she slept most of the day and therefore didn't have to do much. So, she really enjoyed the sail, and I did too!!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:33   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40
I understand that Stugeron is not available here US. Does anyone know a way around this? Internet sales?
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:41   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Google

stugeron canada pharmacy
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness, stugeron