Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 15:38   #31

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Stugeron and Parkinsons

- does anybody have a reference on the claim that Stugeron causes Parkinson's disease?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't "cause" Parkinnson's but it can "unmask" it. Pregnant women and children should most definitely NOT use it. See this link
Stugeron - Letters to Latitude 38 Magazine and Google Stugeron or "Cinnarizine contraindications".

I talked with my doc about it as I have an arrhythmia and was concerned. He looked up the contraindications and it was OK by him. My research has shown that it has everything to do with dosage. The pills come in tabs from 15 mg (OK) to 75 mg (No way). First day's dose for seasick prevention might be 25 mg 4 hrs. before getting on the boat & going down to 15 mg or less in subsequent days. We have a friend (small female) who cuts a 25 mg in half and takes 1/2 tab (12.5 mg) 2x/day. By their own admission, it has "changed the life" of at least three hard core sailing friends.
Old 07-10-2010, 16:25   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Stugeron is by far the best med

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 16:29   #33

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I looked at that link carefully and I am not convinced, however it bares looking into. 43 percent is a very high number (what was the patient pool??) and what were the symptoms? BTW- many drugs we take today for anti-nausea have similar effects. I will keep an eye out for the study to read it. What worries me the most is not the symptoms but the last line with an apparent linkage with Parkinson's and tardive dyskinesia. What you have to know is: How big was the control population and at what rate did they develop the disease? Is four and five statistically meaningful?
Those comments relate to the first references. The ones in 38 lat I trust a little more. Maybe I will just stick with Bonine.
You are right - it is hard to be convinced. If almost 50% of people taking cinnarizine would develop Parkinson it would be noticed and taken off the shelf. Most of the patients in cases reported were older (median age 78) with underlying medical problems, treated with doses several times larger than doses used to prevent motion sickness. They were probably treated for cerebral and peripheral arterial insufficiency. Authors indicated that doses used in preparations in Spain might be too high and started a case controlled study to assess the risks.
A lot of drugs are toxic in higher doses and sometimes even in prescribed doses. If we have a headache we take the old trustworthy Tylenol (I do!) but I also realize Tylenol might be very bad for my liver if overdosed...
Old 07-10-2010, 17:13   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
As a physician we are trained to look at papers very carefully. Almost all the medications I give directly to my patients can be toxic if not carefully dosed. I have seen liver damage from acetaminophen, but at doses much larger that used for occasional pain.
I would just say "Ditto" to the last of your post Michal.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 18:45   #35

The first step to understanding seasickness is to realize that it varies by person, age, and situation. What works for one person may not for another - or even for the same person at a different time. There is clear evidence that we become less susceptible to seasickness as we get older (ahaa! one advantage of age!)

The best general piece I've seen is by John Neal

Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction

I have found his suggestion of 1000 mg of vitamin C with plenty of water to be very helpful. If nothing else, it's easy to become dehydrated when sailing. Ginger cookies also work - or taste good enough that I want to believe they work.

With Stugeron, it's very important to distinguish between the low dose 15mg over-the-counter pill and the much higher dosage available in some areas.

For more serious problems, I now use Scopace which is the oral form of the patch with great results.

Motion Sickness - Prevent It and Enjoy Your Travel with Scopace

This is available in the US by prescription - presumably elsewhere. Google the Scopace web site for more information. They suggest that the patch can over or under dose people (for example sun tan lotion can impact skin absorbtion). The oral form makes it easy to experiment with different dosage - lower in my case. Standard dose is one pill every 8 hours. For me, Scopace has the most benefit with negligible side effects.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 19:03   #36

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert G View Post
Curious - Am I the only one who read "Sturgeon" instead of "Stugeron?"
Nope. Sturgeon is what I saw at first.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 20:57   #37

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
Here is a link to an article published in a medical journal from 1988 discussing the cases of "Cinnarizine induced Parkinsonism". It concludes that "parkinsonism can be induced even by daily doses of cinnarizine of less than 150 mg."

Maybe that might not be "the reason" it is not legally available in the U.S.; in any case, I'm merely passing along the published information that I found in researching it a few weeks back.

A bit more:

Stugeron - Letters to Latitude 38 Magazine

Anyhow, just passing along reasonable words of caution. Take whatever you feel comfortable taking.
I understand the caution. Stugeron works great for me and causes no side effects -- at least for now. All the other meds I've tried have caused lots of side effects and worked only marginal. Scopolomine being the worst for side effects. I'll stick with Stugeron.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:25   #38
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
typically one takes between 15mg and 25mg daily , its a low dose, you can get Sturgeron Forte, a 75mg dose but its not really a travel motion tablet at that dosage.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 13:37   #39
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Take a seasick pill 30 to 60 minutes before boarding. Once you feel sick it's too late, although there are suppositories that work (and you can't barf them up). Put a dab of Vicks in your navel. Keep your eyes on the horizon or go below, close your eyes and go to sleep. Don't attempt to read or look around. When you wake up, go back on deck and fix your gaze on the horizon, a cloud or a star. Drink ginger ale. Eat saltines. Stick with it and you WILL get over it. Crossing Davis Strait, I took a seasick pill before the motion increased and I was OK. My captain did not and he soon succumbed.
Old 09-10-2010, 13:39   #40
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
PS. I should note that we had been at sea for a week before the Davis Strait crossing, both of us without medication and OK, but I took a pill in anticipation of things getting rougher. They did.
Old 09-10-2010, 14:20   #41

Boat: PETERSON 44
Bonine seems to help some. My son will occasionaly still get motion sick has had luck with it it's amazing to see the change in his spirits if he is getting queesy and then treated.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 15:01   #42

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Once you feel sick it's too late, although there are suppositories that work (and you can't barf them up).
I have had people on board who were so seasick that I believe this statement isn't true.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 15:26   #43

Boat: PETERSON 44
They barfed up a supository?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 16:16   #44
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

LOL!!

Fortunately I don't get seasick, but I do tell any dive students to take a stugeron before a dive trip, if they're not sure. The ones that get caught out, well, as soon as we get to the sie, we shove 'em in the water to hang on the drift line, that helps a lot.

Oh, and I always tell my students to bring along three packets of Ginger Nuts just in case. (Just in case what? I hear you ask. Just in case I get peckish!!)
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:30   #45

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
They barfed up a supository?
Well, it was a joke - but if you have ever seen a very seasick person, you would think it possible.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness, stugeron