Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2015, 20:33   #1

Boat: custom 42' catamaran
Anyone cruising with a pacemaker?

I am here in the Philippines and I just got a pacemaker installed. Apparently I am not going anywhere until it settles in and I can lift my left arm above my head and use it for pulling - hoisting sail, anchor, and etc. I am looking for any tips and advice on how this is going to affect my future cruising (if any). Thanks for any insights from more experienced sailors.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 20:43   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Anyone cruising with a pacemaker?

I can't offer up much advice. But wish you a swift recovery, with as much sailing as is possible for the future.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 21:03   #3

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

I think a lot will depend on your cardiac health before the PM was put in. I had a CRTD put in about a year ago. First , all doctors lie about the time to heal after the implant, take it easy and use the pain meds to get through that part. I remember about a month of discomfort.

Next, I hope you do better than I did, my case was pretty far gone prior to PM implant , with my ejection fraction under 20% and an expected 90 % fatality within 5 years.

I can not do many things, and continue to try and enjoy the things I can do. All efforts now are geared to setting sail in Feb and cruising the east US coast until fall.

Good luck to you, perhaps I'll see you!
Old 26-12-2015, 10:57   #4

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I'm on my third defibrillator and still sail. Had my first one put in in 2003. It was recalled for battery issues in 2005 and got No. 2. Last May, it needed changing and now on No. 3. This should relieve you now that you don't have to worry about your heart. They say stay away from bending over running engines and magnetic devices. After about 3 to 4 months, you won't even know you have it.

Change outs are outpatient procedures and you go in in the morning and out mid afternoon. Your's will probably live for 7 years or longer. My current one shows about 11 years remaining.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 17:10   #5

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Anyone cruising with a pacemaker?

You won't even think about it. I'm on 20 years.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising