Originally Posted by alohaboat
I would like to re-direct the discussion just a bit to make it a bit more positive. What would I do if I received a Pan call from these folks?
I will say that it would be difficult to give anyone a tow in 15 to 20 seas and high winds in the vicinity of foul and rocky shore and 30 feet of water
. I know I would not be able to do it with my boat without endangering the safety
of my boat and crew. I certainly would not be able to launch my dinghy
in those conditions. I probably would have put out an anchor
if possible and put one of my crew in a harness with rope
tether and PFD
and have them swim over to the stricken vessel to take these folks off one at a time over water
. But I'm not sure that is the prudent thing to do.
Help me out here, what should I do to help these people in this situation?
I saw your post earlier and mulled it over this afternoon.........my answer was going to be a lot longer, but the not so shortish answer is that I would heartily recomend to them that although probably not attractive the best option is probably that they try and get ashore themselves if they suspect they are in imminent danger
- otherwise try and stay put until the weather
abates / daylight arrives or other help appears.
If this was not an option I would try and float an inflatable dinghy
down to them on the end of a very long warp. Whether this would in fact reach them / could be directed towards them or even whether they could climb aboard unassisted would be a good question, I suspect that it is one of those things which would require "The gods to be smiling on you" to even attempt, let alone to succeed.
Depending on how many crew I had onboard and who they were (I would not send the wife. probably
) and the sea state, the dinghy may be manned to help guide it inshore - but would always be attached to my vessel. No Swimmers.
Of course success would also depend on how close inshore I am comfortable getting, and as this would probably be an unscheduled stop for me this may well not be very close given my probable lack of detailed Navigation
info. I would prefer to not be anchored so I could try and power me and the dinghy out of trouble, but it very much depends on circumstances and who was onboard as to whether I would risk dropping the hook.
If I was alone and I thought they had no option of getting ashore (ie they were beneath a sheer cliff - NOT "merely" that they had a 90% chance of drowning if swimming for shore) and I was close enough then I would try and risk anchoring
up and floating a dinghy down (possibly even with me in it - if I was feeling especially stupid
) if I thought there was a chance (It would help my decision if any Rescuee had large breasts and no Bikini
, unless the Missus was onboard
) .......but I would not do this if it meant leaving the Missus onboard or other crew who were not competent to cope without me.
For a vessel already aground, especially in unfamiliar waters, I suspect that in practice their is little that someone in a yacht offshore
could do who was not in at least a decent RIB
. or a helicopter
. Certainly no chance of a transfer by simply going alongside........after all it is
stuck on something
Not much of a plan.........I guess I would really need WIFI
so I could open a Thread here to seek advice