Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2006, 19:26   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Question Anchor Chain

Hate to admit it but I've managed to confuse myself about the type of anchor chain to use. I need to replace and/or extend my primary anchor chain. Currently 1/2" galvanized. Previous owner managed to lose all but 75ft or so.

Going with a 65lb Bruce alongside the Delta - twin roller setup. Can anyone help me sort out which chain is best for this application?

I don't plan on paying $10/FT at West Marine... Found several bulk chain supply sources but.. which Grade?

Grade 30 hot galv? Grade 43 High-Test? BBB? Read elsewhere on this forum about a SS chain disaster..

Also, is there a detachable link that will pass through a windlass or must I just discard the 75ft that remains and start with an entirely new length?

Thanks in advance...
Old 29-01-2006, 20:17   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
First you need to find out what your windlass will except. But the BBB is more common.

And yes, shop around for chain. West marine sells the stuff at twice the price that I get it here. And it comes all the way across the country. Know how much need and the series # (e.g. BBB) then call around and get quotes (and the saleman's name). They'll try to under quote each other.

There is a connecting link that will fit through a windlass but they are not cheap.

delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 04:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
The best price that I have found in a link that is posted on cruisenews.net
Old 30-01-2006, 16:32   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I would think if you need a 65 lb anchor you need no less than 5/8 in or 10 mm chain. I use 10 mm on a 33 lb Bruce and don't think it is under sized. You'll the right sized gypsy to handle the chain you select.

delmarrey, is correct. The connecting links that will be strong enough are not cheap. It's the place it will break if you don't. Something about the weakest link in a chain nonsense .
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:36   #5

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
OK - so after an hour of cussing I got the windlass disassembled and can read the size stamp on the gypsy. I need 5/16" HT chain.

So now I see Grade 43 HT galvanized chain advertised at $0.91 - yes 91 cents / foot in a 550ft drum.
http://www.e-rigging.com/store_produ...Choice=Catalog
Contact info for this site leads to a P.O. Box in Metarie (New Orleans) LA.

It has the same working load (3900lbs) as a Grade 40 HT galvanized chain with an "short link ISO pattern" listed at 1st Chain Supply for $2.08 / foot per 550ft drum.
http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/chain...lass_chain.htm

Things seemed a bit fishy, so I called the windlass manufacturer and found out that:
- Grade 40 and Grade 43 HT chain are the same thing. Grade 43 is a newer standard
- the "short link ISO pattern" is the ONLY pattern made in size 5/16" Grade 40/43. Other sizes - 3/8" for example, have varied link lengths so you have to be careful about what you order
- ACCO Chain is the manufacturer of most of this stuff provided by most U.S. resellers

So now I wonder if the cheaper pricing is for a "cheap import" chain that I will be dissatisfied with. Has anyone on this forum dealt with E-Rigging.com?

What do you think folks... Deal or No Deal?
Old 07-04-2006, 13:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
A quick check at Defender shows this chain to be 60 lbs lighter than the same 550ft of HT chain from ACCO that they sell. I think it would be more a matter of who made it rather than who sold it. They are selling at 1/2 the price of Defender. It begs questions.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 13:23   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Accepting Paul’s data* as correct (I didn’t check), the difference is 0.11 Lb/Foot (1-3/4 Oz), which probably represents galvanizing thickness. Galvanizing has great value!

*A quick check at Defender shows this chain to be 60 lbs lighter than the same 550ft of HT chain from ACCO (60 / 550 = 0.109).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 21:51   #8
Eternal Member

A G O O D chain is very important..

and very few (if any?) "C" links will have the same strength than your chain..

Talking about chain and rope, a very interesting Web page is on:
Tuning an anchor rode:
http://alain.fraysse.free.fr/sail/rode/rode_b.htm
Alain d'HYLAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 02:05   #9
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Yesterday I bought 5/16 grade 43- How can I be sure what I bought is Grade 43 , My chain has no markings?
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 03:16   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You can’t. You purchased chain that was purported to be Grade 43, by a retailer. There's every likelihood that the chain is sub-standard.

I wouldn’t purchase unmarked chain for any critical use.

Chain must be permanently embossed with a manufacturer’s identification and the Grade identifier. Acco, Crosby, & Campbell (all quality manufacturers) mark every single link, though I believe that the “standards” only require marking every 12", or every 20 links or less.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 06:25   #11
Eternal Member

Beware of "C" links..

Why are "C" links much weaker than the chain??

For a very simple reason, that there are at least four points where the cross section of the link is only HALF the diameter..

It should be easy to solve this problem by using a special steel which has twice the strength of the steel of your chain.. but this kind of steel is not easily available..
Alain d'HYLAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 19:39   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23
OK - so after an hour of cussing I got the windlass disassembled and can read the size stamp on the gypsy. I need 5/16" HT chain.

So now I see Grade 43 HT galvanized chain advertised at $0.91 - yes 91 cents / foot in a 550ft drum.
http://www.e-rigging.com/store_produ...Choice=Catalog
Contact info for this site leads to a P.O. Box in Metarie (New Orleans) LA.

It has the same working load (3900lbs) as a Grade 40 HT galvanized chain with an "short link ISO pattern" listed at 1st Chain Supply for $2.08 / foot per 550ft drum.
http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/chain...lass_chain.htm

Things seemed a bit fishy, so I called the windlass manufacturer and found out that:
- Grade 40 and Grade 43 HT chain are the same thing. Grade 43 is a newer standard
- the "short link ISO pattern" is the ONLY pattern made in size 5/16" Grade 40/43. Other sizes - 3/8" for example, have varied link lengths so you have to be careful about what you order
- ACCO Chain is the manufacturer of most of this stuff provided by most U.S. resellers

So now I wonder if the cheaper pricing is for a "cheap import" chain that I will be dissatisfied with. Has anyone on this forum dealt with E-Rigging.com?

What do you think folks... Deal or No Deal?
G40 or 43 makes absolutly no differance. The 'G43' tag is used a lot by the Chinese and not so by most others.
Correction - Acco make 2 sizes of 5/16" HT chain. One is 'tagged' ISO and is a tad shorter in link length than the other. Make sure you get the right one for your gypsy.
Don't forget Campbell chians.

ALL chain imported in to the US would be regarded as cheap or certianly cheaper than US grown. The question is was it manufacturered by a 'cheap' outfit i.e. chain or a reputable manufacturer from the EU for example. The US makes great chain but you do pay for it.

I would not be chucking any money at the cheap stuff until I had seen a Test Certificate. ALL reputable manufacturers will supply one. Unfortunatly most Chinese will as well but most would notice the 'home grown' look about them i.e looks just like your 5 year old daughter knocked it up on Excell.

Would you be satisfied by the 'cheap import'?? If it's chinese made who knows, just have to wait and see if it is all welded properly. Just hope you don't find out at 3am. The chinese 'random lemon factor' is very high. Pay your little money and take your chance is probably the only answer personally I wouldn't.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 19:45   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
You can’t. You purchased chain that was purported to be Grade 43, by a retailer. There's every likelihood that the chain is sub-standard.

I wouldn’t purchase unmarked chain for any critical use.

Chain must be permanently embossed with a manufacturer’s identification and the Grade identifier. Acco, Crosby, & Campbell (all quality manufacturers) mark every single link, though I believe that the “standards” only require marking every 12", or every 20 links or less.
When talking about US and Australian rules. Most others use Manfacturers mark or grade every 20 links or 1000mm, whichever is shortest, as is required by EU rules. The EU also usually don't mark chains 8mm or smaller, some do but some don't.

Completely un-marked G43 !! very unusual so I'm with Gord. Go back and ask for a Test Certificate. This way you should find out what it is at least, be it good or bad.
Old 14-04-2006, 19:51   #14
Kai Nui

Interesting thread. Of course you will always pay for quality, but no always get what you paid for.
I purchased a Lofrans vertical windless for my boat last year, and have yet to install it. The distributer stated to me that 5/16" BBB is what the unit is designed for, but that I should buy the chain from them, as the gypsy is designed around their chain. They say other 5/16" BBB will work, but can vary in size. So... Are they just trying to push their product, or have they produced a chain gypsy that is an odd size? Or, are they just looking out for me by making sure I do not purchase a substandard chain?
Old 14-04-2006, 21:42   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui
Interesting thread. Of course you will always pay for quality, but no always get what you paid for.
I purchased a Lofrans vertical windless for my boat last year, and have yet to install it. The distributer stated to me that 5/16" BBB is what the unit is designed for, but that I should buy the chain from them, as the gypsy is designed around their chain. They say other 5/16" BBB will work, but can vary in size. So... Are they just trying to push their product, or have they produced a chain gypsy that is an odd size? Or, are they just looking out for me by making sure I do not purchase a substandard chain?
The phrase I think you are looking for is 'Up-sell' .

Either it is BBB specification or it's not BBB, simple really. Chinese made excluded as always.

Tags
anchor