Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 05:07   #136
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHeadMd View Post
The problem with the proposed incindiary(sp?) devices, is that you have no delivery system.
The wife?
Old 12-05-2010, 05:26   #137
ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post

I am also going to install a 12v electric fence before cruising anywhere sketchy.
Hi,

Having read through all of this, that is the first thing that comes to my mind. Sorry, know nothing about sail boats, but all that stainless steel, I guess a guard rail? running around the perimeter of the boat, just electrify that. If a hand held battery operated taser can hold a deadly charge, cannot one wire up all that to fire when touched? i take it people when climbing aboard hold on to that when boarding? A boat comes along, one by one they try to climb aboard, each one gets zapped no noise no nothing, falls down into the water, you're inside hidden, they see nothing, no one, just the first guy trying to climb up and screaming and falling, the next one tries, same thing, and if they're really stupid the third guy gives it a try same, thing and they five up.

Switch it on at night or on sign of imminent danger and go down below and wait.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:31   #138

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:37   #139
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Good idea! I can see that working well........if ever boarded by a dead equine beast (with bad intentions).

Old 12-05-2010, 05:41   #140
Xen

You know I have been thinking about this subject for some time now. I have several alternatives to having a firearm and being annoyed by customs.
First is and electric fence, there is really only one logical way to board my boat,from the steps in back. So if I run a lead under the handrail and turn it on while im sleeping or if danger approaches that should stop at least one.
Second is a noise cannon,my cousin is a SWAT dude he came up with this idea.I have earmuffs for shooting at the ranges and noise gets unbearable so I bought these electronic ear muffs it cancels all noise.If I connect a few cannons to my deck the power drainage is bearable but the sound it emits is not. It literally burst ear drums which is what its designed to do.I am pretty sure they would get the hint after that. So you wouldn't need to burn your boat and yourself up. Just would need extra batteries and some muffs. Problem solved.Oh and stay inside and hidden.You wouldn't need to check anything in at customs and the oversized speaker can be pawned off as loud speakers which in essence they are.Same cousin got me an X26 Taser its the taser gun the LEO's use. This thing is no joke so maybe as personal defense you can take one of these. Though I don't think they are open to public purchase,I am not sure.Also might create a stir at the countries port if they are scared of guns/people who defend themselves proper. So maybe no stun guns not sure.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:43   #141

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
So cruising with a gun is basically not an option, and I don't feel like a machete or dive knife is great defense against pirates.

After much thought about the subject, I decided that you could make a useful boat-defense tool out of molotov cocktails.

Some soap or styrofoam, gasoline, wine bottles, rags, tape, and diesel, and you would have yourself a pretty effective weapon against boarders.

What say ye?

I didn't read all the responses so it's probably been covered, but I suppose that it would be a VERY effective weapon!

What better way to get a bunch of pirates to leave your cockpit than to engulf it in flames??!! Oh..... wait a minute......
Old 12-05-2010, 05:45   #142

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Or a really baaaaaddd ass goat!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:55   #143

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Sabre Kai:

To certain others:
Quote:
...a discussion on an improvised incendiary device that entire function is to burn someone horribly to death...
Well I guess they "get what they ask for". If you deal in violence, you should expect to get violence in return. Is that such a horrible concept? Isn't the life of ONE cruiser at the cost of the lives of 10 violent attackers worth it? YES. Because it doesn't stop with one and it continues on an almost DAILY basis!
Discussion of self protection is very important to the cruiser. Improvised methods for those who cannot or chose not to carry standard weaponry is very relevant. Though some get a little "out there" with the ideas. But it's fun.

Like many others, you take the line that discussion should not occur because you don't agree with it or think it's purile. This mentality is arrogance and self-importance to the extreme. It's like a child at a playground who's tired and wants to go home but demands everyone else go home also. As long as the rules are adhered to, there is no reason to complain.
If you don't want to play....go home. But the rest of us are having fun.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Old 12-05-2010, 06:56   #144
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

It'll be interesting to see the insurance claims developing from the electric fences... all that electrolosis affecting the aluminium masts and other weaker metals on the boat... just think how folks worry about electric leads hanging in the water in marina's affecting their boats and here we have so called 'experts' discussing floating live current through their metal fittings.... keep it up lads..

Another thing that intrigues me is the [deleted list of bomb-making materials].

Sorry.. I'm a bit dense about these techincal things

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:57   #145

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
The classic molotov is still the simplest. Bottles full of gasoline with a wick.

I agree that tossing a wine bottle into a wood or fiberglas boat may not result in breakage. However, small battery powered etching tools are readily available and could make the glass quite easily breakable. If the contents were self igniting, I think they would do the job quite well.
Sabre
After a large night out I know one of my friends would come aboard for a nightcap, open the bottle of 'wine' whilst I was fiddling around with the music, then they'd spark up a cigarette....
Old 12-05-2010, 07:12   #146

I just hope that these people stay on the other side of the Atlantic. I'll take my chances on this side where every boat isn't boobytrapped in spite of the 15,000 pirates, buccaneers and lowlife scumbags that are hiding in every port waiting to murder me in my bed.

Thank God for the Atlantic. Pity it isn't wider.....
Old 12-05-2010, 07:17   #147

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
Discussion of self protection is very important to the cruiser. Improvised methods for those who cannot or chose not to carry standard weaponry is very relevant. Though some get a little "out there" with the ideas. But it's fun.

Like many others, you take the line that discussion should not occur because you don't agree with it or think it's purile. This mentality is arrogance and self-importance to the extreme.
The facts are that piracy against yachts is extremely rare. As of October 2009 there were 5 incidents reported worldwide including 2 yachtsman killed and 10 hostages. The piracy map also describes 2008 piracy in Venezuela and Guatamala. No doubt many incidents of boat boardings and theft are simply reported in basic crime statistics for theft.

2009 Piracy Map (Yachts only)
Pirate Attacks on Sailing Yachts - Piracy Warnings 2009 | YachtPals.com

Noonsites Piracy page
Noonsite: Piracy

Putting the issue of piracy in it's proper context is neither puerile, nor arrogant, nor self aggrandizing. Any real discussion should be underpinned by facts, and the reality is that piracy against yachts is a very, very, very, remote possibility. On the other hand, petty theft etc. is something that needs to be dealt with everywhere - usually by using a padlock.

If you wish to carry legally then in many countries it'll be sitting in the police station till you depart. If you wish to carry illegally then you can run into some very serious problems if you're caught. The bottom line is that if you want to carry a gun, then do so - but legally!

In my experience, the more worldly and travelled someone is the less inclined they are to think they need a gun.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:37   #148

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Irrelevant.
We're not talking just Piracy or Somalia. Crimes against boats and cruisers is a worldwide thing. Ranging from simple theft to violent crime against persons. Just because the numbers are low doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Quote:
Putting the issue of piracy in it's proper context is neither puerile, nor arrogant, nor self aggrandizing.
You are out of context. i quote:
Quote:
you take the line that discussion should not occur because you don't agree with it or think it's purile. This mentality is arrogance and self-importance to the extreme.
This refers to the mentality of some members and why they want to shut down a discussion. Not the subject of piracy. The actual subject is the use of Molotov Cocktails against unwanted boarders.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Old 12-05-2010, 07:47   #149
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Irrelevant.
The actual subject is the use of Molotov Cocktails against unwanted boarders.
I presume you really want to use them before they are boarders? Otherwise they are now swimmers (if you get them off your boat), unwelcome guests or your own boat is on fire.

If they are close enough for it to work I wonder what the chances are of setting both boats on fire?

Old 12-05-2010, 07:48   #150

Quote:
The actual subject is the use of Molotov Cocktails against unwanted boarders.
Playing around with volatile substances kept in fragile containers on an dynamic platform is not very sensible. The "unwanted boarder" is probably safer than the person holding such a jury-rigged device.

I certainly would not want a boat packed with molotov cocktails parked next to me in a marina.

Also if you think that the Border Police/Customs/Coastguard will admire your Molotov handiwork rather than arresting you for import of devices likely to cause a breach of the peace (to say nothing of health & safety regulations) or in these post 911 days "devices which could assist or be used in the commission of a terrorism".
Closed Thread