Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 15:01   #61
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
oh by all means we should put those ports to use!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 10-05-2010, 15:17   #62

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
I can tell most of you guys have never had a loaded firearm pointed at your face from a few feet away...
I have....twice. Once 6 inches off the tip of my nose. Hell of a way to wake up. The trick is to not LET them get that close. And who's to say they let you live afterwards anyway? Willing to take that chance? Fifty-fifty...
Spend eight years btween El Paso and Juarez you'll find out what it's like. And a lot of them will be COPS looking for a little "side income". I had La Mordida put on me at least 3 times a year but (knocks on wood) never been in the mexican clink yet.

So please lets not start all this again....
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Old 10-05-2010, 15:53   #63
Xen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I can tell most of you guys have never had a loaded firearm pointed at your face from a few feet away, held by someone who leaves you absolutely NO doubt that he intends to take something from you.

What have you got that is worth your life?

As for something legal, cheap and easy to use...the jet stream wasp and hornet sprays that shoot 25 ft will do a number on you if you get sprayed across the face. If you have one of those at hand, and get the opportunity to use it ( the barrel of the gun is not pointed at you, the finger is not on the trigger, ) you might have a couple seconds to blind the intruder, bash him, grab his gun, kill him, and then live with that for the rest of your life.

And that's no fun, either, despite what you might think.
Yes indeed I have several times. I was raised in a high crime area and being the only "white" kid it happened quite alot. Been pistol wiped spit on but never gave my money up. I am just hard headed like that, you want whats mine you have to kill me for it. We all gotta check out sometime.I just hope to die in Italy.Wish my grandparents would have never come to the states.
Old 10-05-2010, 17:33   #64

Boat: C&C 34
I don't get it...

Xen

You may not believe in countries and that you are a citizen of planet earth, but a large portion of us have divided it up and made rules to allow for basic order. Its not the wild west anymore and I am glad.

If you want to go out in the middle of the ocean, declare your independence, wave your gun in the air and do circles you will do fine. Otherwise you will have to obey the laws of the country you are in. And that means no gun.
Old 10-05-2010, 17:53   #65

Boat: Edel 665 23' - Reckless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
Has nothing to do with respect,it has everything to do with self preservation. We don't know each other so why would you show me any respect. Respect is earned not given freely.But i think you may have used the wrong word,I think you meant to say obedience which in that case yea I have none. But I do have plenty of money to buy and help the local economy grow.

Respect is most certainly given freely. I respect each person I meet, until they give me a reason not to respect them. It is the same way in which I would want to be treated. Either in my daily life or traveling the world. One must respect a persons rights, culture and laws.

Trust on the other hand does need to be earned.
Old 10-05-2010, 18:22   #66

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
I have....twice. Once 6 inches off the tip of my nose. Hell of a way to wake up. The trick is to not LET them get that close. And who's to say they let you live afterwards anyway? Willing to take that chance? Fifty-fifty...
Spend eight years btween El Paso and Juarez you'll find out what it's like. And a lot of them will be COPS looking for a little "side income". I had La Mordida put on me at least 3 times a year but (knocks on wood) never been in the mexican clink yet.

So please lets not start all this again....
On land La Morida is alive and well. After living for 2 years in Mexico (25 years ago) one gets used to guns being waved in ones face (2 to 3 times a month). We worked and traveled extensively in southern Mexico. We relied on our wit to resolve any demands for a mordida.
Cruising for 10 years in the same general area it has yet to happen that we were bothered by anyone with a gun.
Old 10-05-2010, 19:13   #67
Xen

I don't even know why so many people have such a complex about guns. You get nervous around hammers? Honestly if I was stripped of my guns at any port and then boarded by anyone without being armed I would be looking to kill that person rather than just wound or scare them if I had my firearms.A well armed society is a polite society.If someone comes onboard and threatens me or whatever and I don't have a firearm but I do have like a diving knife or something chances are one of us is going to die. If I do have my firearm 99% I can get the jump on end the conflict peacefully.

Old 10-05-2010, 19:41   #68

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

ROFL @"end the conflict peacefully."
Old 10-05-2010, 19:42   #69
Xen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
Respect is most certainly given freely. I respect each person I meet, until they give me a reason not to respect them. It is the same way in which I would want to be treated. Either in my daily life or traveling the world. One must respect a persons rights, culture and laws.

Trust on the other hand does need to be earned.
Then you don't understand the meaning of the word I guess. Respect is derived from admiration or fear.Maybe you are looking for polite or cordial.Respect cannot be given freely in it's actual meaning. It is a fallacy.
Old 10-05-2010, 19:43   #70
Xen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
ROFL @"end the conflict peacefully."
meaning we both walk away unharmed,and alive. tager didn't you start this thread with "i wanna burn myself and everyone around me up"
Old 10-05-2010, 19:47   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

please, this thread is lame enough with out hyperbole making it even more ridiculous.

Main Entry: 1re·spect
Pronunciation: \ri-ˈspekt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin respectus, literally, act of looking back, from respicere to look back, regard, from re- + specere to look — more at spy
Date: 14th century
1 : a relation or reference to a particular thing or situation <remarks having respect to an earlier plan>
2 : an act of giving particular attention : consideration
3 a : high or special regard : esteem b : the quality or state of being esteemed c plural : expressions of respect or deference <paid our respects>
4 : particular, detail <a good plan in some respects>
in respect of chiefly British : with respect to : concerning
in respect to : with respect to : concerning
with respect to : with reference to : in relation to

Also, I would love a reference to that cited 99%...

Old 10-05-2010, 19:58   #72
Xen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
please, this thread is lame enough with out hyperbole making it even more ridiculous.

Main Entry: 1re·spect
Pronunciation: \ri-ˈspekt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin respectus, literally, act of looking back, from respicere to look back, regard, from re- + specere to look — more at spy
Date: 14th century
1 : a relation or reference to a particular thing or situation <remarks having respect to an earlier plan>
2 : an act of giving particular attention : consideration
3 a : high or special regard : esteem b : the quality or state of being esteemed c plural : expressions of respect or deference <paid our respects>
4 : particular, detail <a good plan in some respects>
in respect of chiefly British : with respect to : concerning
in respect to : with respect to : concerning
with respect to : with reference to : in relation to

Also, I would love a reference to that cited 99%...
2,4,1 is legal terminology specifically to contract law.consideration/concerning etc
3 is exactly as I described it so your statement about it being a hyberbole is in itself a hyberbole P
Old 10-05-2010, 20:02   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

uhh... not a word in there about admiration or fear...

Old 10-05-2010, 20:16   #74
Xen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
uhh... not a word in there about admiration or fear...
take away the implication and find the root and you come to the conclusion. Logic would dictate that respect is gained from admiration or through fear. You can't respect someone that has no common thought pattern to your own, unless they strike fear into you which forces the respect.
Old 10-05-2010, 20:39   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
This thread started out on a tenuous premise. This forum is about boats and cruising. This one needs to get back on that topic or it will be closed.
Closed Thread