Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 01:21   #16

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Nice security door. i bet it works great at anchor, but I'm not sure I'd like to be locked in the saloon with armed pirates in the cockpit. The expression "Rats in a Barrel" gets a whole new meaning

Why not get creative with makeup? Paint your bodies to make it look like you have the palgue, then lie naked on deck moaning. For a better effekt you could try throwing your lunch up. That ought to repel even the toghest of pirates

/Hampus
Old 10-05-2010, 03:19   #17

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
You may want to consider a pressure washer with a 0 degree nozzle. At 2000 PSI it will go some distance, at 3500 PSI it will go 150 feet.

Use gasoline as the cleaning fluid. Pay attention to wind direction.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:08   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
If you're that afraid of cruising why are you even going?.........i2f
Old 10-05-2010, 04:16   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Well. I can tell I am losing everyone's respect with this thread...
Probably not everyone’s.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:30   #20

Crossbows and air-rifles are not usually considered firearms. Both can kill.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:09   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Crossbows and air-rifles are not usually considered firearms. Both can kill.
Hang on! Better check some of that kit at the door! Air rifles are definitly prohibited.

This is part of the long list supplied by Australian Customs. Look at how widely some descriptions are written

One needs to know the laws of ALL the countires they are visiting. Its a difficult complex, time consuming task.

Blow-guns and blow-pipes, or other devices consisting of a pipe or tube, that are capable of projecting a dart through a pipe or tube using the exhaled breath of the user or means other than explosive and darts for use with these items

Nunchakus Goods known as nunchakus and similar items such as a three sectional staff

Crossbows All crossbows capable of causing damage to property or bodily harm when discharged (excluding toys)

Knuckle-dusters and similar devices that can be fitted over the knuckles to protect the knuckles and increase the effects of a punch or blow
Gloves and similar hand coverings with protrusions
Gloves and similar hand coverings incorporating protrusions designed to puncture or bruise the skin

Hunting slings, catapults and sling shots designed for use with a component that is a brace that fits upon the forearm or other part of the body to support the wrist or forearm against the tension of any material used to propel a projectile

Weighted gloves and similar articles designed or constructed to be used as a weapon that is designed to increase the effect of a punch or blow

Shark darts and similar devices designed to expel, on or after contact, a gas or other substance capable of causing bodily harm

Dart projectors known as ‘darchery slingers’ and similar devices designed to project a dart by means of an elasticised band

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 10-05-2010, 06:46   #22

Hmm.... I'm surprised they do not outlaw teeth in case you bite someone.

Longbows and swords seem to be missing from the list.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:00   #23
Xen

Why is a gun out of the question?Can't you just get a safe? I will be sailing with my guns,I haven't left yet or been anywhere but America so iunno exactly how some random group of "officials" can dictate to you that you can't defend yourself... It would be impossible to regulate every single boat off the coast of wherever. I am pretty sure you have to volunteer information don't know for sure. I know I fly no flags at all on my boat and I come and go as a please noone has ever said a thing to me. I probably just jinx myself too.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:07   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ntry-1641.html
and a whole lot more, before you visit any foreign country.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:19   #25

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Using what you have legally on board is about the only "defense" in an actual attack. Better still is determining what the current M.O. is for the particular pirate active area you are going to or through and planning to work around that. In the southern Caribbean most pirates are lazy and only go hunting in the daytime in good weather, so traveling through the area at night in moderate seas or more is a good plan to avoid them. There are other techniques involving planning ahead that fit the different sort of attacks be they anchorage, marina, or underway attacks. Information is your best defense.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:25   #26
Xen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
See
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ntry-1641.html
and a whole lot more, before you visit any foreign country.
thanks for the info Gord
do I need to declare firearms if im just getting some fuel and supplies and then leaving?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:41   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
Why is a gun out of the question?... exactly how some random group of "officials" can dictate to you that you can't defend yourself...
Their country, their laws. I guess it is a case of "if you don't like it then don't go there".
Old 10-05-2010, 07:59   #28

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Never tried to throw a bottle, but I know I can only throw a waterbaloon a few yards.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:01   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
Why is a gun out of the question?Can't you just get a safe? I will be sailing with my guns,I haven't left yet or been anywhere but America so iunno exactly how some random group of "officials" can dictate to you that you can't defend yourself... It would be impossible to regulate every single boat off the coast of wherever. I am pretty sure you have to volunteer information don't know for sure. I know I fly no flags at all on my boat and I come and go as a please noone has ever said a thing to me. I probably just jinx myself too.
They don't say you can't defend yourself. What they DO say, is what items that could be used for less-honorable reasons may be brought into their borders. The officials at check-in have no way of knowing if you have the gun "just in case" of severe need for self-defense, or if you have it because you hold up banks or shoot people for fun.
So, I guess the alternatives are: laws controlling guns/weaponry brought into the country; OR, complete personality and psychiatric work-up plus background check for every person entering. I know which one sounds better (not to mention cheaper) to me.
Also, one person's (or really, even one group's) refusal to acknowledge an authority, does not automatically invalidate that authority.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:01   #30
Xen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Their country, their laws. I guess it is a case of "if you don't like it then don't go there".
who are "they",Do "they" dictate how you run your life,protect yourself or handle your affairs? Which is the whole reason I want to leave land altogether. Some group of random people view themselves as legitimate or have some "divine" right, more so than the rest of us. I am just not buying it. Does coercion equal authority? It all boils down to who has the most guns and people to operate them. All I want to know is, if I have to declare my weapons to a false authority just to get some fuel and pasta?
Closed Thread