Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
I'm a master in Llap-Goch ...
The Secrets of Llap Goch
Thanks for the chuckle, muskoka.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:31   #92

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Hey – imagine that; when you pull out your paintball gun some kid seconded on the “pirate” boat and barely approaching puberty shoots you straight between the eyes using a combat designed SLR?

I was actually watching a movie where a couple of Moroccan herder’s youngsters were entrusted with a 303 to fend off wolves decided to take pot shots at tourist bus and got in a direct hit. Luckily the bus did not return fire and it was an inadvertent “Accident”. Not that in the long-run it that helped the herder and his family, especially in today’s panic about terrorism and piracy. Maybe the movie was just a bit too real?

BABEL. amazing movie.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:34   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuborndancer View Post

Basically a paintball shooting flashlight that actually shoots pepper spray filled balls. It seems like it could be the perfect thing to deter the normal thief or intruder without escalating a situation because it just looks like a flashlight until someone gets hit with pepper spray.

The reasons I think this might be a great boat defense weapon are the following.

1. Comparably laws against pepper spray are non existent when compared to gun laws and other countries.
2. Again doesn't look anything like a gun therefore walking out on your deck is not going to escalate a situation like walking out with a shotgun.
3. Incapacitates anyone near where the balls hit. Shoot into a canoe of machete wielding pirates and non of them are going to be able to breath. The effects dont go away in any short amount of time either.
4. Non lethal. I'd rather not kill someone personally haha.
5. Doubt any officials will ask any questions about your heavy duty flash light.

I originally was going to carry a 45 stainless steal guide rifle, but got to thinking(and reading) any situation where I would find myself wanting to use a gun could either A. be done more effectively by a non lethal incapacitating tool, and B. be a situation where I will be immensity out gunned, and firing a shot will only be sure way to end my young life.
Hi Stuborndancer,
I like your ideas and completely agree with you.
especially points 2, 3 and 4 .
However, I believe that if it is illegal then - it is illegal - no matter how it is disguised. No different than concealing drugs or fully auto AK.
I also believe that some authorities have greater intolerance of anti-people devices than they do towards firearms (used for hunting animals).

I checked the website and they have some very interesting looking paint-ball guns(only for law-enforcement).

I may buy one but will check laws first (especially for New York).
For now I am prepared to fight fire with fire, and only have a little machete...

edit -
state legality chart
http://www.pepperball.com/pdf/consumer_matrix.pdf
Old 12-02-2011, 08:33   #94

Boat: Tartan 34C
An alternative to regulated pepper sprays and stun-guns is the hornet spray that shoots about 20 feet. Better range than pepper spray and you can really soak an intruder if he/she advances rather than retreats. It's not got knockdown capability, but it irratates the eyes and lungs, and keeps the bad guy occupied while you bang him with a skillet or engage in 'hand-to-gland' combat. Can be purchased in any decent hardware store and would not raise eyebrows when entering any marina that I know of.

John
Old 12-02-2011, 09:09   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
....if [a pepper shooter] is illegal then - it is illegal - no matter how it is disguised. No different than concealing drugs or fully auto AK....

Illegal, ill-schmeagul... At what point in the development of a truly free society can or should any of those things really be made "illegal"?

There is no need to prevent possession of these items by morally upright citizens, for they will, by definition, not be a threat to the rights of their fellows (Violating the natural rights of others is the only "real" crime in a truly free society).

And history has adequately demonstrated that "criminals", by definition, do not obey the law and will obtain, distribute, possess and use any item they wish to, regardless of any law to the contrary.

No, the so-called "control" of these items is an illusion that is initiated, promulgated, and perpetrated upon society by politicians, pandering to the ignorant, the frightened and the confused, for power.

There are few, if any, nations on earth in which any of the items mentioned above are not fairly readily available to those who wish to procure them.

"Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns."
-- Robert Levy, Cato senior fellow in constitutional studies

"All gun-control schemes are based on the premise that criminals are going to obey the law. Well, by definition, criminals break the law…"
-- John McCain, American RINO

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it."
-- William Burroughs

"In fact, many people who have been victims of actual violent crime, or who have survived war or civil strife, support the right of self-defense. The old saying is often correct: a conservative is often just a liberal who has been mugged."
-- Unattributed

"And therefore there be some rights which no man can be understood by any words, or other signs, to have abandoned or transferred. As first a man cannot lay down the right of resisting them that assault him by force to take away his life, because he cannot be understood to aim thereby at any good to himself . . . . For the right men have by nature to protect themselves when none else can protect them, can by no covenant be relinquished."
-- Thomas Hobbes in Leviathan (1651)

"The necessary consequence of man's right to life is his right to self-defense. In a civilized society, force may be used only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use. All the reasons which make the initiation of physical force an evil, make the retaliatory use of physical force a moral imperative. If some 'pacifist' society renounced the retaliatory use of force, it would be left helplessly at the mercy of the first thug who decided to be immoral. Such a society would achieve the opposite of its intention: instead of abolishing evil, it would encourage and reward it."
-- Ayn Rand in "The Nature of Government" (1961), pg 108

"The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside... Horrid mischief would ensue were one half the world deprived the use of them . . . ."
-- Thomas Paine, I writings of Thomas Paine at 56 (1894)

"The right of self-defense is the first law of nature; in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest possible limits . . . . and [when] the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction."
-- St. George Tucker, Judge of the Virginia Supreme Court and U.S. District Court of Virginia in, I Blackstone COMMENTARIES St. George Tucker Ed., 1803, pg. 300 (App.)

"No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave. He, who has nothing, and who himself belongs to another, must be defended by him, whose property he is, and needs no arms. But he, who thinks he is his own master, and has what he can call his own, ought to have arms to defend himself, and what he possesses; else he lives precariously, and at discretion."
-- James Burgh, Political Disquisitions: Or, an Enquiry into Public Errors, Defects, and Abuses [London, 1774-1775]
Old 12-02-2011, 09:22   #96

I agree with you Wimsey.
But, I do not make the laws, I just chose to obey them.
I am a resident of New York City - strictest gun laws in the country.
I formerly held a NYC concealed weapons permit.
I will not carry mace if it is illegal...
Old 12-02-2011, 09:30   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
I agree with you Wimsey.
But, I do not make the laws, I just chose to obey them.
I am a resident of New York City - strictest gun laws in the country.
I formerly held a NYC concealed weapons permit.
I will not carry mace if it is illegal...
Well, sure. There is a big difference between what should ideally be, and what is the reality we have to deal with in our daily lives.

Common sense dictates that I voluntarily give up various parts of my 'natural rights', as exercizing them is outlawed to various degrees in various areas, by those are effectively tyrants, and their minions.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:49   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
We've wandered far enough from boating. This thread thread is closed.

Closed Thread