Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2008, 14:55   #1

Boat: 1974 Challenger 40 Ketch, Holding Pattern
Allergy/Emergency Information Help

I am allergic to penicillin and iodine, two pretty big ones. I cannot wear a bracelet or necklace like the MedicAlert, they either snag or get in the way, break off at the least opportune time, etc.
We were thinking of solutions and I came up with the idea of getting a tattoo on my upper chest, below the collarbone (hidden with a shirt, of course) If I am unconscious, the EMTs are likely going to remove shirt early-on so it would be seen.

Any thoughts from doctors, EMTs, those with experience? Of course, I am not adverse to the idea of tattoo so do you see any other downsides?
Holding Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 18:27   #2

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Carry a health care proxy or ID notification with your drivers license or other cards. Don't procrastinate doing this...if its laminated, it'l help.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 19:41   #3

Allergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holding Pattern View Post
I am allergic to penicillin and iodine, two pretty big ones. I cannot wear a bracelet or necklace like the MedicAlert, they either snag or get in the way, break off at the least opportune time, etc.
We were thinking of solutions and I came up with the idea of getting a tattoo on my upper chest, below the collarbone (hidden with a shirt, of course) If I am unconscious, the EMTs are likely going to remove shirt early-on so it would be seen.

Any thoughts from doctors, EMTs, those with experience? Of course, I am not adverse to the idea of tattoo so do you see any other downsides?
Actually, the tattoo idea is bloody brilliant.
Your wallet can get lost...etc.
Try the inner aspect of your left wrist..it's the first place the Emerg nurses will go hunting for a vein...they're really after your vein on the outside of your wrist but will turn your hand around during the hunt and see it.

Carry an "Epi- Pen"....it's the cardinal sign that someone has a serious allergy. Good Luck..
Lorianne Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 19:48   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The tat should do it, especially if you make it iconic ("do not" crossed circle with the two drug names in 3? 5? languages inside?) but how can you break a stainless steel Medicalert necklace? I've worn one as a body tag for years when out and about, never fouled it on anything because it stays under my shirt. Never broke it, because it is after all a stainless steel chain!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 04:23   #5

I have popped off a med-alert bracelet on a shroud and the bruise it left looked like I attempted suicide...and I'd hate to have my neck stuck on sonething that would not break away... same reason we wear no rings.
Old 29-04-2008, 02:44   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’d think that Latin names should adequately describe any medical compound to Physicians and other healthcare professionals worldwide.
Iodine’s Latin name is: “Iodum”
Penicillin‘s Latin name is: ”Penicillum”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 03:28   #7

the tattoo is a brilliant idea!! I am also allergic to penecillan, we should all get inked! Allergy brothers unite!!! (of course, with my luck I'd probably spell it wrong)
cslascro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 07:36   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gord-
Physicians, yes. But an EMT or other first responder, perhaps calling in to someone on a radio for assistance? Dunno, there's a rumour that even the Pope considers Latin to be a foreign language.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 08:12   #9

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Brian,

The tattoo is a good idea, so is the card in your wallet. I would consider your specific allergies and the scenarios in which you may need a medic alert. You would be unconscious or unable to communicate. Penicillin would be unlikely to be used in an emergency setting, in fact it is unlikely to be used at all in most industrialized countries due to resistance. Given this I would think that a laminated card in your wallet (not to besmirch my profession but this is the first place everyone will look) or a tattoo on your chest or arm would work. The arm may not be the best place as you would have to do both to be safe and the shoulders as well since you may get an injection of penicillin. You are more likely to encounter iodine in an emergecy setting, especially if you are unconscious as one of the first things they will do is insert a urinary catheter. Assuming you are unwilling to tattoo your tallywacker the chest would again be the best place. If you do go the tattoo route I would still recommend that you carry a card that not only lists your allergies but the specific reaction you have to them. While you are at it include any medical conditions and medications you are taking. Have you considered a medic alert necklace with a thin chain that would break easily if caught on something? This would provide the necesary info while keeping your face out of the windlass.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 03:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Brian,

Assuming you are unwilling to tattoo your tallywacker the chest would again be the best place.
Mike
This is the safest assumption you will ever make in your life... a tatou on the tally is, has been, and will always be out of the question.

This fellow was so deeply in love that just before he was married, he had his bride's name tattooed on his love muscle. Normally, only the first and last letters were visible, although when he was aroused, the tattoo spelled out W-E-N-D-Y. Now they're on their honeymoon at a resort in Montego Bay. One night, in the men's room, this fellow finds himself standing next to a tall Jamaican at the urinal. To his amazement, he notices that this man, too, has the letters W-Y tattooed on his penis. "Excuse me," he says, "but I couldn't help noticing your tattoo. Do you have a girlfriend named Wendy?" "No way, mon, I work for the Tourist board. Mine reads, "Welcome to Jamaica, mon, have a nice day.'"
Old 30-04-2008, 03:43   #11

I did EMT work for a long time and nobody ever said to look for a tatoo. In an 'emergency' situation where the breathing, bleeding, and shock treatment are going on and vitals are established then we look at bracelets, medalert necklaces and wallets. In doing the assessment enroute to the ER, spoting a tatoo is not on the list. Of course I do know peers who wanted a "NO CPR" tatooed on their chest because of the trauma [pounding, opening chest cavity, tubing etc] that takes place during and after the save!

Old 01-05-2008, 04:06   #12

Wallet, wallet, wallet... how many cruisers (not weekend cruises) carry their wallets in the back pocket? My wife and I have one combined billfold with everything necessary....sometimes she has it when we're out and sometimes I do. Plus we hike, kayak, snorkel, dive, skinny dip (where do I put the wallet then?)...lots of things that are just not practical to carry a wallet. I think any method has some downfall...nothing is fail-safe or it would cost so much none of us could afford it.

By the way, I DO have all the necessary information in the wallet... if it were that simple I wouldn't have posted...geez...but we all have contingency plans...
Old 02-05-2008, 04:31   #13

I kayak, dive, freedive, mountain bike, bowhunt, birdwatch and strive to have my med alert info with me. If I'm underwater etc., its on the boat. No you can't cover all bases but you can be practical. To you the tatoo might be practical...you could put it on your forehead. ??? Then everyone would see it all the time, so you'd have homeplate covered too, unless you lose your head in an accident...
I think if the ems people have time to look at tatoos, then they are not worried because they have determined that you've expired. Done, finished, ie. 'not coming down for coffee'. They're more likely thinking of the next run or getting back to quarters.
In the army we wore 2 dogtags. One around your neck and one in your shoe lace, incase you got blown apart... I left the one in my shoe in Quang Tri... I still have the one that was around my neck.