Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 07:12   #16

Re: AIS versus PLB - a dumb question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yes the range would be short but with a mast mounted 406 antenna, I would expect it to be in the order of 3 to 5 miles (maybe more, maybe not???).
In fact, with one antenna 6" above the surface of the water, and the other antenna 35' in the air, the line-of-sight distance is in the neighborhood of 8 miles. Far enough to be quite useful, I would think.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:39   #17

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
What about if you're in the life raft and you didn't manage to take the EPIRB with you in the chaos of abandoning? Or if you don't have an EPIRB, or if your EPIRB malfunctions?

Or if you're exploring on land in a remote place, and fall and break your leg?

The OP asked in reference to a MOB situation. For the situations you mention, a PLB has value. Still, if I have time to launch my liferaft you can bet the EPIRB will be on board, even if I have to leave the drinking water behind.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:01   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

AIS and an EPIRB or PlB are completely different things.
My plan if she goes overboard and I see it is if the AIS MOB isn’t received almost immediately, then I’m tossing in the EPIRB, assumption is this happens at night, cause that’s worst case. The EPIRB will surface with a strobe light flashing, she should see that and swim to it, I should see that also and move towards it as well.
Of course hopefully the RCC is also receiving it, and If I get on board next step is to try to call off the Cavalry.

If I don’t see her go overboard, then of course we are completely reliant on the AIS MOB.

I guess ideal world is a waterproof Sat phone, an EPIRB/PLB and an AIS MOB device and a VHF radio with DSC, but it’s not real likely to have all of that on your vest.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:11   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
AIS and an EPIRB or PlB are completely different things.
My plan if she goes overboard and I see it is if the AIS MOB isn’t received almost immediately, then I’m tossing in the EPIRB, assumption is this happens at night, cause that’s worst case. The EPIRB will surface with a strobe light flashing, she should see that and swim to it, I should see that also and move towards it as well.
Of course hopefully the RCC is also receiving it, and If I get on board next step is to try to call off the Cavalry.

If I don’t see her go overboard, then of course we are completely reliant on the AIS MOB.

I guess ideal world is a waterproof Sat phone, an EPIRB/PLB and an AIS MOB device and a VHF radio with DSC, but it’s not real likely to have all of that on your vest.
Agreed they are very different.

Do you not have a automatic strobe on your PFDs. My personal AIS also has a strobe?

Do you not tether at night? Heavy weather? Offshore?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:50   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Agreed they are very different.

Do you not have a automatic strobe on your PFDs. My personal AIS also has a strobe?

Do you not tether at night? Heavy weather? Offshore?

I have lights, but am not impressed by them, little bitty things. I think you need a good flashlight to shine toward the boat to be seen light wise.
I don’t think my AIS has a strobe, pretty sure it doesn’t.
It’s never gotten bad enough thankfully to tether, we haven’t gone that far really no more than 72 hours or so out, and I don’t go with a unfavorable forecast.
In truth, other than being rolled I don’t think you could fall out of our cockpit, I replaced the lifelines with SS tubing etc. the danger is going forward. Of course we all say well I wont do that, but the only time we got knocked almost down I had to go forward as the anchor had come out of its position and was banging into the hull. Now of course I tie the roll bar to the pulpit rail, but didn’t then.
That was at night, zero illumination night, if I had gone overboard, they would never have found me, I’m sure of that.
I don’t think we had the AIS MOB at that time etc.

What I need to do is get new, better inflating vests that has enough pockets etc to carry “stuff”. Now stuff is zip tied etc on.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:57   #21

Quote:

What I need to do is get new, better inflating vests that has enough pockets etc to carry “stuff”. Now stuff is zip tied etc on.
I can fit my personal AIS inside my Mustang MD3154. It is smaller than my old strobe.
Old 01-07-2019, 17:43   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I need to get a new vest for the Wife, any suggestions?
What I’m after is auto and manual inflation and a place to mount the AIS MOB, a light and a VHF.
I think if possible being able to talk to the MOB is important, eases nerves and you can coordinate pick up.
Old 01-07-2019, 17:48   #23
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^ Spinlock Deckvest.

https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/catego...ps/deckvest-5d
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 19:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Spinlocks are great. They make a version for women. Just be aware they are not USCG approved. Just keep some foamies on board.

My one concern is that their tethers use a cow hitch rather than a quick release.
Old 01-07-2019, 19:38   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
... it seemed there must be a simple answer as to why they sell "Personal Locator Beacons". That implied to me crew recovery, not body recovery.

Person recovery, not necessarily "crew". They have a large role outside of the marine environment.

Wikipedia (I know!) puts it reasonably well:

PLBs (personal locator beacons) are for personal use and are intended to indicate a person in distress who is away from normal emergency services; e.g., 9-1-1. They are also used for crewsaving applications in shipping and lifeboats at terrestrial systems. In New South Wales, some police stations and the National Parks and Wildlife Service provide personal locator beacons to hikers for no charge.[
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 23:23   #26

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
What I’m after is auto and manual inflation and a place to mount the AIS MOB, a light and a VHF.
I think if possible being able to talk to the MOB is important, eases nerves and you can coordinate pick up.
If you don't want to spend as much as the Spinlocks run, we like the CrewSavers. We have our Ais sart inside for automatic turn on. These are more comfortable and durable looking than our old inflatables.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:16   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

A64, this year I bought myself a new lifejacket and new AIS beacon. I bought the Spinlock Deckvest 5D and Ocean Safety MOB1 AIS beacon. They are made to fit together and that was one of the reasons why I chose the Spinlock vest. You can order the vest with the beacon already fitted, but fitting it is dead simple.

https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/catego...ps/deckvest-5d

https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/catego...roups/ais-mob1

There is a newer version of the Deckvest called the "Vito", you may or may not like it better than the 5D. I thought the 5D fit me a bit better, so I went with that, but YMMV.

Taking advantage of the very compact dimensions of the Deckvest, I also use the chest pack:

https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en-us/cat..._groups/dw-pcc

This clever thing fits right in the gap between two elements of the vest so you don't even notice it, and I keep my PLB in there, and an LED flare (this is a newer version -- https://oceansafety.com/our-latest-n...led-odeo-flare)

The Deckvest comes with an innovative auto-activated strobe light -- "Lume On", which is on a stalk, which I think is a great idea which may make it more visible when the sea is up a bit. Also, there are two lamps, on in each side of the life jacket bladder, with water activated switches, which light up the inside of the bladder. Then the AIS beacon has a bright strobe -- so you will be truly lit up like a Christmas tree if you fall overboard at night, and I think there is no such thing as overkill there.

The Deckvest 5D comes with a rescue knife in its own pocket, which might save your life in case you fall over tethered. But the new Vito is one better than that -- it has a tether quick release.

In general, pay attention to the risk of falling overboard tethered -- a lot of people die like that. Whether you could even realistically cut yourself loose or even activate a tether quick release I don't know -- apparently you drown in seconds from having masses of water forced down your throat. There are new jackets which allow the tether to flip around to pull you from behind, which is probably a great idea and perhaps your only chance in such a case.

I'm not a Spinlock fanboy, but they are a local company (just a few doors down in Cowes) and I like their stuff, which fits me really well and is really comfortable, which makes them more likely to be worn -- an important safety aspect I think. But I would not represent that the Deckvests are better than other offerings from Baltic and so forth, so you might want to do your own research.

I did research MOB beacons and I think the Ocean Safety one is the best of them. I especially like that does not only send an AIS signal, but also a DSC alert. That could really save your bacon. My older manual dildo-style McMurdo AIS beacon does not have DSC.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:24   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

AIS versus PLB - a dumb question

Is the spin lock sold in the US?

Lord, my IPad made spin lock into spinal knee. Where in the world does it come up with this stuff?

I’m not worried about USCG approval, I have enough of those cheap orange foam things for a crowd.
Old 02-07-2019, 15:38   #29
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Try

Spinlock USA
001 0877 465 6251 (toll free)
info@spinlockusa.com
www.spinlockusa.com

Unfortunately there appears to be bug in the dealers and service centres link in their website so it may take a phone call or email to find what's near you.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 16:05   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

AIS versus PLB - a dumb question

Did a quick Google, even Worst Marine carries them and I’ll likely go to them
Don’t usually give them much business but if they’ll bring one into the store for us to look at and try on, I think I will.

Tags
ais