Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: Want to have an AIS transponder or only see others how have?
Yes 53 86.89%
No 8 13.11%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2011, 15:52   #106

Location: Boat: West coast of Norway Winter: Höllviken, Skåne, Sweden
Boat: H 30
Re: AIS Transponder: Yes or No

A short appreciative price view of some safety equipment.

Less then $100 Radar reflector.
Less then $100 GPS.
$100 simple AIS transceiver. Monitor one channel at a time. Change between the channels.
$250 god AIS transceiver. Monitor both channels simultaneously.
$1000 god AIS transponder. Monitor both channels simultaneously. Sends your position.
$2000 simple radar.
More then $3000 god radar.

You don’t need to bee in the category “$500/month” for wanting to get most safety for the money. And I say with the GPS you get that, and that’s way everyone has one.

With the simple AIS transceiver you get a god CPA-alarm (Closest Point of Approach alarm = collision alarm). When the ordinary sailor realise that, they going to install an AIS.

But an AIS transceiver is like a dud. As long you are alone with the transceiver, you see everyone and now one sees you. When you’re not alone, you’re in a risk. You only see them with a transponder. If everyone hade a transponder, the situation would not occur.

If you going to have a CPA-alarm on a radar that works, you’re going to have a real god radar. But then you also see those yacht that only have a transceiver. They are really expensive and you are probably in the category “The %”.

Old 11-11-2011, 13:59   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrobbins View Post
(FYI disclosure: I work for Vesper Marine - manufacturer of Class B AIS equipment)
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for giving us heads-up on this:

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: Vesper Marine 2012, WatchMate Vision & AIS XB-8000

b.

Old 11-11-2011, 14:02   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

And for all those who have just joined the thread:

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: Vesper Marine 2012, WatchMate Vision & AIS XB-8000

Some nice new products in the discussed subject.

Cheers,
b.
------------------------------------------
And then there were the sailors:
some came to share, some came to sniff
Old 11-11-2011, 16:28   #109

I have a reciever only and find it invaluable. But...depending on your location and the zoom you are using on the chart plotter, things can get a bit clutered when near some of the large ports on the east coast of Oz. At times Gladstone, Mackay and Caloundra have up to 100+ tankers at anchor and coming and going, it just gets ugly. Now if every boat had AIS transmitters I think on a bussy day on the harbour you would be hard pressed to read the chart plotter, its hard enough seeing the water from the helm on a Wednesday when all the clubs are out racing and on boxing day it woould be overload.

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 17:21   #110
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars_L View Post
A short appreciative price view of some safety equipment.

But an AIS transceiver is like a dud. As long you are alone with the transceiver, you see everyone and now one sees you. When you’re not alone, you’re in a risk. You only see them with a transponder. If everyone hade a transponder, the situation would not occur.

If you going to have a CPA-alarm on a radar that works, you’re going to have a real god radar. But then you also see those yacht that only have a transceiver. They are really expensive and you are probably in the category “The %”.
what transceivers are a dud, nonsense, it allows big ships that dont see you on radar to see you on their AIS.

Transponders are now down to 500 $, its a no brainer. In a year or two there will be no market for receive only AIS.

radar based CPAs have nothing to do with AIS.
Old 03-10-2012, 00:27   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
For a small sailboat in coastal waters, I'd spend the money for an AIS transceiver before a radar (it's cheaper too) Chartplotters do a much better job keeping your from hitting land than radar. And AIS is far superior for collision avoidance with other vessels.

Keeping a good radar watch requires constant attention. The typical sailor glancing at a radar screen while also steering isn't doing a very good job at either.

Carl
If you think your chart plotter is accurate enough for night time coastal work in the the third world, you're going to get a nasty surprise. Radar shows the land, charts show the land as it has been recorded however many decades ago with however much inaccuracy. Charting of western Mexico, for example, is up to two miles off what your gps and electronic/paper charts will tell you.

For ID'ing coastlines at night radar is the bees knees.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:02   #112

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
If you think your chart plotter is accurate enough for night time coastal work in the the third world, you're going to get a nasty surprise. Radar shows the land, charts show the land as it has been recorded however many decades ago with however much inaccuracy. Charting of western Mexico, for example, is up to two miles off what your gps and electronic/paper charts will tell you.

For ID'ing coastlines at night radar is the bees knees.

+2
Old 06-10-2012, 22:56   #113

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft
We installed a Standard Horizon VHF radio that has an AIS receiver. We don't transmit. The receiver has been great as we cruised down the Pacific Coast of North America, it's helpful on late night watches and foggy days. It's ice because you don't have to install an antenna splitter or mount a separate antenna.
Kara.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:48   #114

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
One concern I have is that as more folks use transceivers, a separate AIS screen will be necessary. All of those ship symbols will be covering hazards or aids to navigation on chartplotter screens.
Jack

I am currently down in Panama City, Panama waiting to cross the canal. We have a Raymarine E-120 and Raymarine AIS-500 (Class B)

Yesterday, I was sailing back from the Pearl Islands and had 99 AIS Targets on my screen. (See pics)

Scaling to 24 miles the AIS targets overlaped and started forming a black mass. At 12 miles they were clearly defined and t six miles easy to read.

As far as hazards or aids to navigation, I would never have my chart scaled above six miles if I was concerned about those, because on all electronic charts the farther you zoom out the less detail is displayed.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: