Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2006, 12:07   #61

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
Hey Sean ....
Get that spray bottle of caustic detergent from Agway or Farm Supply and then spritz and let it dry .... so you dont have to repeat this god-awful clean up in the near future. ;-)
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 13:04   #62
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sean, I didn't hire a writer. But then again, I found a new drug store and I'm getting my meds caffeinated now.<G>

Or maybe, it's because the wx has been SO DAMN WONDERFUL! THIS MONTH! and sailing in the 70's with 15 knots is so much more fun than dying in the 90's with 80% humidity and 1.5 knots? Yathink?<VBG>

Gotta be a way to get PAID to go to Scandanavia for July and August...They do have coffee up there, don't they?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 13:06   #63
cruiser

Thanks for the reminder, Richhh. I'll definitely do so. This boat was the filthiest thing I've ever seen when we bought it. I've said it before on this forum, but it looked like it was stored on the hard, in a cave, in Transylvania!

There was dirt - genuine piles of dirt like soil everywhere. There were spiders. And when I say spiders, I don't know if anyone can understand what I'm talking about unless you live in the Great Lakes area. There were hundreds if not thousands of them living in here. They had webs everywhere and came out at night to build new webs across the salon.

I still don't understand how a boat can develop problems like that, but it had them. Guess that's why we got a decent price on it. Looked like the owner had it on the hard in Wisconsin (where it was bought) for many years.

Once we got it in the water and started using it, it cleaned up natrually to some extent. The rest, we scrubbed and re-fit.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 02:00   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Spiders !!!!! Mate, if you ever want me to come and stay, the spiders HAVE to go. It's bad enough here in NZ where we don't have any poisonus spiders (bar one small one that lives under logs at the beach, did I say I don't go near logs on the beach). But a spider in a foreign land, nup, no way. How the hell those Ozies live with those big hairy monsters big enough to drive your car beats me.
I tried watching arachnaphobia once. I broke out in a cold sweat and couldn't breath. Saw the first few minutes of it and that was that.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 08:07   #65
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sean, I don't want to scare you off but unless you live in the permafrost....Even on LI there are spiders the size of dinner plates. Not often--but yes, locally indigenous. AFAIK not poisonous.

Wheels, "How the hell those Ozies live with those big hairy monsters big enough to drive your car beats me. " That's an easy one. Good help is hard to find and you know how Oz has been about not allowing immigrants unless they have a needed skill. All things being equal I think I'd prefer a giant spider to some of the cab drivers that have been allowed into NY in recent years.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 09:26   #66

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
Hey guys ... just to 'help' your arachniphobia ...

***ALL*** spiders are poisonous !!!!! thats how they catch their prey. Its just that those 'non-poisonous' spiders have their fangs too short to penetrate your skin. The most poisonous spider in the world is a species called "daddy long-legs" a very common species in the eastern USA. Kids play with them, they are not aggressive, etc. and nobody cares because their fangs are too short to inject venom through human skin. Sleep tight. ;-)
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 12:13   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yeah Richhh, we have them here as well. Only spider that doesn't worry me. Having owned up to being Arachniphobic, I have to say, I have been able to slowly reduce my fears over many years. Some spiders just don't worry me anymore and I can actually pick a couple up. But a few others for some reason, just make me totaly panic. Weird. But at least I don't scream and run like a little girl anymore :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 14:41   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
My dinghy came with a bonus...

The dinghy that came with my "new" boat was a totally beat up wreck of aluminium that came with a couple of bonus red backs.
For those of you who don't know our spiders thay are a small black spider with a distictive red stripe on their back. Only the female is reported to be lethal.
A dinghy lying on grass was their perfect habitat!
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 14:53   #69
cruiser

We rooted out the spiders during our month long delivery of the boat from Wisconsin to NY. I just squished them every night when I saw them, and sprayed the ones outside in the rigging. I was kind of uncomfortable with them at first, but actually got used to them after seeing so many in the Great Lakes, as well as inside the boat. You'd tie up in the Great Lakes and they would climb up your lines from the dock or pilings. Weird.

Anyway, we have been vermin free since that delivery. Just the mold.
Old 17-01-2007, 22:23   #70

Boat: Hartly Tahitian46ketch ALCHEMIST
I tried watching arachnaphobia once. I broke out in a cold sweat and couldn't breath. Saw the first few minutes of it and that was that

spiders for movie came from Avondale Auckland New Zealand
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 22:48   #71

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
The strongest grain alcohol found in liquor stores you can buy. Spray all over, close up. Direct outside air when you sleep.

I think that you have missed some spot. Did you change the cusions? drapes? Try using mirrors or flexable optical fiber.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 00:21   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Spiders, belonging to the Class Arachnida, are not insects, which belong to the Class Insecta. There are eleven orders of arachnids, including: the scorpions; mites and ticks; harvestmen; pseudoscorpions; whipscorpions; solpugids; and spiders.

Spiders are defined as having eight jointed legs, no wings, no antennae and only two body sections: the thorax and the abdomen. (Spider: 2 body parts, 8 simple eyes, no antennae, no wings, 4 pairs legs, abdomen unsegmented)

Most Americans use the term “DADDY LONGLEGS” for long-legged Harvestmen, which are arachnids, but are not really spiders. The Harvestman has one (fused) body section (spiders have two), two eyes on a little bump (most spiders have eight), a segmented abdomen (unsegmented in spiders), no silk, no venom glands nor fangs, a totally different respiratory system, and many other differences.

Goto: http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/natbltn/300-399/nb315.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 05:59   #73
cruiser

Lynx: This is an old thread from before I had to become an expert in mold removal (thanks Richhh). It bubbled back up to the top. We have been mold free since I last posted on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx
The strongest grain alcohol found in liquor stores you can buy. Spray all over, close up. Direct outside air when you sleep.

I think that you have missed some spot. Did you change the cusions? drapes? Try using mirrors or flexable optical fiber.
Old 18-01-2007, 20:45   #74

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
WELL DONE. I hope I never have to go through what you did.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2007, 03:07   #75

Boat: HT 26. Currently in Mallorca
Hi All
The 03 generators do work, it's normally just a by product of using UV. Ike ozone has a half life of about 3.5 days unless its been used up by killing bugs.
Most generators have a little gadget that will stop the ozone production if it gets to high as it can cause problems and even kill you . It is a disinfectant remember. Thats why hospitals use them.

We have also started using them in the hotel industry as it not only gets rid of mold but removes smells as well. Especially smoke after someone has had a couple of ciggies in the cabin. Small units are relatively cheap.

Best regards