Originally Posted by Zeus
Once you have done what Sean did to get rid of the problem would it be worth the money
to buy a quality HEPA system. If I am not mistaken the spores are the way that the mold spreads. A quality HEPA system will capture most if not all of the spores that may possibly enter your boat. At the very least I would imagine that the filter would extend the time between each scrub.
HEPA is comparatively expensive and is going to take a considerable amount of power to operate ..... and its of little benefit because a boat is open to atmosphere too often. To make HEPA work well you'd need an 'air-lock' on all your companionways and hatches, etc.
Better solution is to get paraformaldehyde crystals and simply spread them out on plastic trays in several locations when you're off the boat for any long period. Para-f is quite potent against mold spores .... but the boat HAS to be cleaned (as well as Sean has). When you return, open the boat, hold your breath, get the remaining crystals and you out of the boat (while still holding your breath) let the boat fully air-out for an hour or so before reentering. Para-F is fairly cheap
and you can still get it in commercial marine
supply sources ... but probably not in CA, NJ, NY, etc.
Been working with some new technology that should prove interesting to 'boat problems' with mold in the future: Running a 'dry'-fog of Peracetic acid and hydrogen peroxide. A very potent, yet quite safe method of killing essentially ALL bioforms - better than quats, gluteraldehydes, etc. and a hell of a lot safer. The dry fog
needs some humidity control, but since the fog
is 'dry' nothing gets wetted inside the space but since the fog particles are so small it penetrates into all the nooks and crannies that wet methods simply cant get to ... and the fog then essentially degrades to an eco-friendly mix of vinegar and water
.... but still doesnt wet-out everything in sight. (Vinegar simply isnt going to do a good 'kill'.) The technology is spreading in the EU and elsewhere for hospital and pharma disinfection of large spaces; and, as soon as it become more avialable in the Western Hemisphere, it might be something that would quite suitable (and profitable) for killing bioforms in boats, buildings, ... on a commercial service
basis. But you still need to do the coarse removal
using scrub brushes
, etc. while wearing a 'spacesuit' --- first.
Until then ... consider paraformaldehyde crystals .... but first clean-up all that mold, especially the 'black' molds that can be extremely potent biohazards. Dont just kill the mold (using clorox, etc.), but then remove it with caustics (soaps, etc.) as caustics dissolve the cells. If you just kill it and leave the cells, other subsequent species can use the old dead cells as their nutrient source. Its simply beyond belief that the EPA in most areas simply recommend a kill with chlorox, etc. and dont recommend an aggresive removal
afterwords .... oh well, what do you expect from 'bureaucrats' stuck in obsolete technology and who have no modern idea of whats really happening.
The probable WORST location of mold is in your water
tank">fresh water tank vent line ... and the spores get drawn into the tank water every time you open a tap. I use a bio-blocking vent filter to prevent aspiration of bioforms into my tank water .... but thats another subject entirely.