Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2009, 12:26   #16
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
We shopped and shopped and finally being the cheapskate I am, I made my own. I took a hepa filter replacement cartridge purchased at walmart and some plastic storage containers of the appropriate size and mounted the hepa filter in the plastic container and mounted a pancake fan on the other side. After two months there is a drastic improvement in the amount colonies popping up and dust in the air. The fan is an old hotwire unit that draws 250 ma. It runs constantly. Im going to put one in the forward cabin soon also when we go to get a replacement cartridge.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 12:42   #17
GreatKetch

If you are really doing the things you SHOULD do to control mold on a boat, mostly VENTELATE, running a filter is going to have a placebo effect at best. You should be moving so much fresh air into the boat that the filter is basically cleaning the whole outdoors. The sound of the running fan might make you feel better, but that is all it is doing. There is no way you can expect hepa filtration to reduce the number of mold colonies. I'm not saying you're mistaken about WHAT happened, just the WHY part.

Another point to understand is that a high level of ventalation not only helps eliminate the conditions that cause mold to grow, it also dilutes dramatically the concentration of airborn mold spores in the boat's living quarters. Mold spores can be a health hazard in an enclosed space, a properly ventelated boat is by no means an enclosed space!!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:01   #18
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
A well ventilated boat is a great and wonderful thing unless its freezing outside. Along with the mold spores theres dust to contend with in an enclosed space.I built a filter using a pancake fan and hepa filter. The filter turned grey after a short time. Its sure doing something. When a shaft of light is in boat its easy to see airborn particles floating around. This has decreased dramatically since weve had fan/filter running. Since I sew aboard there is always dust to contend with. Yes we do have a shop vac and use it often with a paper filter. Do you ventilate your bilge, under the sole and other non accessible places? I also went ballistic on any wood that was rotten. Ten sheets of plywood and 10 gallons of resin with cloth later there is no rotten wood on boat to add to problem. Talk about a non trivial task.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold