Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a liferaft designed to be self-serviced
Yes 49 83.05%
No 5 8.47%
Maybe 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 08:32   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: A Self-Service Liferaft Design - Interested ?

I like your idea..a couple of inner tubes and a can or two of fix-a-flat and a small dome type tent and your sailing...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:42   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gord-
Actually, a life raft manufacturer might be required to honor their warranty in the US regardless of who inspects or repacks it. It would depend on which part of what warranty (statutory or express, etc.) was involved.

Old news here that you may have missed, car manufacturers in the 50's and 60's would not honor the engine warranty unless you used THEIR dealers and official motor oil for the oil changes along with all other maintenance.

By the 70's that had been changed courtesy of the US government, who said the warranty must be honored UNLESS the manufacturer could prove the third-party parts or labor had caused the failure. And the burden of proof is on the manufacturer.

So if my life raft company offers a 12-year warranty in exchange for having it recertified by their dealers every three years, that might stick, or stick after the typical four years for limited statutory warranty under federal acts like the Uniform Commercial Code. But if the raft literally came apart on the seams, they might be required to fix that manufacturing defect, regardless of whether I'd opened the raft to inspect it during the second year. I'm sure they could have the usual good arguments about which warranty terms governed but the words "product safety recall" should be fatal to anyone in that business, warranty laws have become more extensive than they were in the 60's.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:52   #48

Yeah, it's a matter of certification or not really. DIY?: Just inflate your own raft, check for leaks and buy a new CO2 cannister. A lot of big words on those expensive checklists for doing that and replacing the "grab bag" goodies!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:03   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"and buy a new CO2 cannister."
So you're trying to help put off the next Ice Age by increasing Global Warming? <G>

Really, CO2 canisters are usually soldered/sealed shut, hermetically sealed, and unless they are defective from the get-go, good for many many years. All you need to do is look at the weight (which should be stamped on it or available from the maker) and then weigh the cannister. If there's no weight stamped on it...record the existing weight.

What, you didn't open the brand new raft to check that it wasn't DOA? That would be a perfect time to check that it shipped with a full cannister, because if the seal wasn't proper to begin with, it would already be empty when you got the raft.

I've heard all sorts of BS storied from extinguisher companies, SCUBA companies, repack companies, all pretending there's a real technical reason that something has to be done--when in fact there isn't and they're just creating work to bill out. It is just plumbing, not rocket science. And of course if you've seen the classic three stooges movie where they plumb water out of the chandelier....<G>....
Old 03-11-2011, 11:09   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"and buy a new CO2 cannister."
So you're trying to help put off the next Ice Age by increasing Global Warming? <G>

Really, CO2 canisters are usually soldered/sealed shut, hermetically sealed, and unless they are defective from the get-go, good for many many years. All you need to do is look at the weight (which should be stamped on it or available from the maker) and then weigh the cannister. If there's no weight stamped on it...record the existing weight.

What, you didn't open the brand new raft to check that it wasn't DOA? That would be a perfect time to check that it shipped with a full cannister, because if the seal wasn't proper to begin with, it would already be empty when you got the raft.

I've heard all sorts of BS storied from extinguisher companies, SCUBA companies, repack companies, all pretending there's a real technical reason that something has to be done--when in fact there isn't and they're just creating work to bill out. It is just plumbing, not rocket science. And of course if you've seen the classic three stooges movie where they plumb water out of the chandelier....<G>....
I was thinking using the cannister for the inflation test, but yeah, using air for the test and weighing the cannister is a great idea.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:30   #51
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I was thinking using the cannister for the inflation test,"
Bad idea, the icy cold gas gives the raft frostbite. Literally, can crack the material after repeated exposure. The repacker that says "Oh, we pull the cord to test it, so you need a new gas cylinder" is not only lying--they're damaging the raft. So they get to sell new cylinders AND new rafts.
Old 03-11-2011, 15:22   #52

FYI, It is true that skydivers pack their main canopies but only a Master Rigger can pack the reserve canopy for some of the reasons discussed in this thread.
DisasterZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 16:04   #53

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterZone View Post
FYI, It is true that skydivers pack their main canopies but only a Master Rigger can pack the reserve canopy for some of the reasons discussed in this thread.
And who would that be?

I can imagine the fact that some of us are not up to servicing and packing up their own liferaft. I cannot imagine how this fact would bear on the rest of us being able to do so.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 16:06   #54

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
When I took skydiving classes they showed us how to pack our chutes and we did.

There were a bunch of open chutes in a room and we were told they were waiting to be packed.

We had no more jumps that day and the bus was hours away so we passed the time and busied ourselves packing chutes.

Next class an instructor was asking around about who packed all those chutes. We said we did a bunch.

OOPS!

We weren't supposed to do that.

But...........they all opened.

I think I can pack a raft for DOJ.
Old 03-11-2011, 16:14   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, DisasterZone.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 16:17   #56
CLOD

Boat: none

What's with life raft certification anyway? If you use a certified one and it fails to work what do they do ..................... bring you back to life?
Old 03-11-2011, 16:33   #57

Glad they opened.

Thanks for the welcome. I was attempting to clarify the skydiving analogy, since I have experience, as opposed to sailing which I am below a novice.

There's a massive difference between the main canopies that you packed and the reserve canopy that I was referring to. When a canopy or lifeboat has to inflate every time the standard is much higher, which is why drop zones require the hiring of a master rigger.

I'm willing to accept that many people can pack their own life raft. I'm just wondering what percentage want to take that responsibility?
Old 03-11-2011, 16:49   #58

I've sometimes wondered the same thing about certifications. They don't make you any less dead...
Old 04-11-2011, 05:55   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
I've sometimes wondered the same thing about certifications. They don't make you any less dead...
It’s not the certification (itself) that matters, as it is, what has been done to earn it.
By analogy: The diploma merely certifies that one has achieved a certain level of education, or demonstrated a certain level of proficiency, or met certain standards.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:14   #60

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
It’s not the certification (itself) that matters, as it is, what has been done to earn it.
By analogy: The diploma merely certifies that one has achieved a certain level of education, or demonstrated a certain level of proficiency, or met certain standards.
No, a diploma or certification only means you passed the test. I know many dim bulbs that have diplomas and certificates. I also know many brilliant people that never graduated high school.

Don; AS, BS, MS, PhD, FCC, FAA, LSMFT

Tags
grass, liferaft