Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2015, 11:39   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
A personal ditch bag

As my voyage over the horizon slowly nears next summer, I am going back over my gear lists and storage requirements. I will be having several crew changes for each of the passage legs, so I'm thinking of providing individual bags for personal items that may need to fit into the vessel's ditch bag. I'm going to be providing this smaller bag, plus a couple of other bags for personal gear such as dive equipment (the stuff each person considers they must carry that the boat doesn't already), all clothing and hygiene items, foulies, seaboots, and other personal choice gear (art supplies, tunes, books, cameras, etc.).

The personal ditch bag will store things like cash, passport/visas, medical needs (with prescriptions), an item or two of warm clothing, and stuff that the individual may personally want to have in the event of an evacuation or disaster. This bag will be added, at the start of the voyage leg, to the primary ditch bag for the entire crew, so there is only one bag to have to absolutely survive. Or maybe two for true redundancy.

There are all sorts of lists available for the boat's ditch bag, but none that I've seen for the things each individual should provide from their own stores. My question is to what personal and necessary items would you include in your own waterproof, and small, bag to open in the liferaft or beach that you end up on. Again, this is the personal stuff, NOT personal rescue beacons (although, a cell phone might not be a bad idea in the right places). What's in your wallet (as the credit card advertisement with rampaging Vikings suggests)?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 23:49   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: A personal ditch bag

Assuming your boat ditch bag carries all the really necessary stuff - a personal ditch bag is going to be up to the individual. I suspect you'll find that limiting the stuff people want to take will be more appropriate than what stuff to take. Many will probably want to bring more than they should.

Certainly your list, wallet, passport/visa, prescription meds is what to bring. Here's a couple of items:

sun-blocker
spare prescription glasses
spare sunglasses
The females might want to carry some tampons

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote