Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 07:47   #1

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
A change of heart regarding self-defense

I fully expect that this thread will follow the same path as previous threads in this vein - descending into heated arguments and name-calling before being locked by the mods. I present it anyway with no personal opinion added, simply for the benefit of those who care.

A quote from the article: "After my experience I would carry a firearm in future. I've read and heard all the advice from the armchair Rambos - smoke screens, pepper spray etc., Once these thugs are on board you have no chance. Keep them at bay with a few shots and I'm sure they will break off their attack as they did with me."

The whole article can be found here: Noonsite: Venezuela: Shooting Attack on Yacht

I will now duck for cover.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:01   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
you're not alone

Interesting that yesterday, Captain Richard Phillips, who was recently taken hostage by Somali pirates, testified in Congress that he felt that merchant ships should carry firearms.

VOA News - US Ship Captain Testifies on Piracy
Old 01-05-2009, 08:05   #3

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Hoo boy..... pass the popcorn and watch the movie....
Old 01-05-2009, 08:58   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I also am a convert, I now beleave that if I knew I was going to be in certin parts of the world I would want a gun- but that said I see no reason to ever go to those kind of places in the first place!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:57   #5

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Policemen

Possibly would have been a policeman if I didn't have to carry a firearm like the British bobbies. In less civilized environs this is not safe for a policeman to be without one. Most places in the world enticing to cruisers are subject to being prey without witnesses. Would prefer to not have to have protection yet there are definitely times and places where a raincoat is required.
Old 02-05-2009, 23:57   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
While 10 years ago, I would have said 'no way' to guns, times have changed. You'll notice how all the negatives of carrying arms usually has to do with checking them in while in port. But who cares? Port is not the problem...Being at sea seems to be. If I had to check my 12 guage into Port, it would be a fair trade off for the peace of mind of defending myself at sea. I feel a 12 guage is the best all round weapon by which to protect yourself and crew. As pointed out in the article, it was evident they meant to kill.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 03-05-2009, 07:13   #7

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Although I don't own a gun currently, I believe Celestial is dead on here. I will never own a hand gun, but the 12Ga. is a good self defense weapon. By self defense I mean... some one is trying to get below. I don't give a damn about my valuables, but I wont allow them near my loved ones. Not even my cats!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:47   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Did I ever tell you that I have played with the odd shotgun as well as some nice sub machine guns and propper machine guns.........

a 12GA shotgun.... is a serious mismatch against an AK 47

Quote:
AK-47 weighs 4,300g and has a rate of fire of 600rpm. The rifle will accept most synthetic and metal magazines, generally 30 rounds in capacity. The rifles effective killing range is 1,500 meters, and is generally not used for more than 300 meters.
So you guys think thundering away with a rabbit blaster will worry some Somali firing mags of 30 rounds at 600 rounds per minuite at 300 meters(328 yards)?

The US Marines say a 12 GA that they use: Maximum effective range: 50 yards (45.7 meters) with "00" buckshot load
Marine Corps Fact File - 12 Gauge Shotgun

You'll be laughed out of Africa.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 03-05-2009, 08:47   #9

Boat: Boatless
If you're the kind a person that will only shoot as a last resort (bad guys on your boat and kicking in the cabin door) the 12 gauge would be highly effective. Specifically the Benelli M4 tactical with 00 or 000 buckshot. Without earplugs you will suffer instant and permanent hearing damage if fired inside a boat cabin. If you're the kinda person that will shoot back if fired upon from a distance, there are several good choices. I would never carry gun to shoot at people but I do carry one in case dead sailors start to rise from the sea (zombies) or giant squid pop up from the deep, for these purposes I like the AR-15, for many reasons; accuracy, dependability, ammo weight, magazine capacity, and corrosion resistance to name a few.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:12   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Maybe in the future, all cruising boats will look like this:

Steve B.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2009, 09:22   #11

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltSeaSailor View Post
I would never carry gun to shoot at people but I do carry one in case dead sailors start to rise from the sea (zombies) or giant squid pop up from the deep, for these purposes I like the AR-15, for many reasons; accuracy, dependability, ammo weight, magazine capacity, and corrosion resistance to name a few.

Zombies. Yes, that's a point I hadn't considered. Are there many in New Orleans? I mean, I know about the giant squid having mating grounds in the Gulf of Mexico but the other was a new one to me.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:29   #12

Boat: Boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Zombies. Yes, that's a point I hadn't considered. Are there many in New Orleans? I mean, I know about the giant squid having mating grounds in the Gulf of Mexico but the other was a new one to me.
Ever hear of Marie Laveau? ....just saying....
Old 03-05-2009, 09:35   #13

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltSeaSailor View Post
Ever hear of Marie Laveau? ....just saying....
Yeah man, but she's dead. Oh ... no I guess that wouldn't be a disqualifier, would it?

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:23   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Did I ever tell you that I have played with the odd shotgun as well as some nice sub machine guns and propper machine guns.........

a 12GA shotgun.... is a serious mismatch against an AK 47

So you guys think thundering away with a rabbit blaster will worry some Somali firing mags of 30 rounds at 600 rounds per minuite at 300 meters(328 yards)?

The US Marines say a 12 GA that they use: Maximum effective range: 50 yards (45.7 meters) with "00" buckshot load
Marine Corps Fact File - 12 Gauge Shotgun

You'll be laughed out of Africa.

Mark
Gosh mark...I hate debating this stuff. These type of threads always go sideways. My only point was from the article. The a-holes shot up this guys boat and got within flare gun distance to it. So a shotgun would be very effective. Did you know shot guns are responsible for most of the deaths in the US? I bet that will kick start this thread...Oh my lord...what have I done???
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 03-05-2009, 11:26   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
I personally carry a Mossberg Marine 12 ga with the pistol grip stock on the boat. I have no plans in getting into a spitting contest with anyone at a distance but for an anti-boarding weapon I consider it excellent. They used to have an accessory line launcher but I'm not sure if it has been discontinued or not.

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

Rich
Closed Thread