Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 22:13   #61

Boat: Islander 37 'Taku Wind'
I think the best plan would be having a couple of seals on board for crew.

Old 06-05-2009, 00:22   #62

Boat: "Tranquil" - '79 Westerly Berwick Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrsn View Post
Well, while I've seen some pretty amazingly well trained seals, I'm not sure you could train them for defense in any useful manner, and besides, they eat too much fish and mess all over the deck...

But if it works for you, ... ;-)

Old 06-05-2009, 00:27   #63

Boat: "Tranquil" - '79 Westerly Berwick Ketch

When I cast off for my circumnavigation, I plan to have one of these aboard:

Old 06-05-2009, 01:19   #64

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38 - Mayero
Send a message via AIM to NDSinBKK Send a message via Skype™ to NDSinBKK
There's not a single tool that fits the bill for self-defense.

I think the best defense against long-range real piracy, such as in Somalia, is just to stay out of there. You cannot carry enough weapons, or enough ammo, to keep them at bay if they are determined.

On the assumption that you need to keep people off-board, our at least fight back, any gun that is shooting a hard projectile (aka bullet) has two risks - one is that you'll miss, which is likely unless you are in practice, and two is that you'll penetrate your own hull and sink yourself.

The logic behind a shotgun is that it "spreads" the projectiles around, increasing the probability of hitting an intended target, but it also is less likely to penetrate your own hull, especially if you are using something like birdshot, rather than slugs or buckshot (which have the same downside as bullets).

A shotgun is unwieldy, however. There is another option which is to use a good stainless steel revolver (rust-resistant) with frangible ammo such as MagSafe. A 38 or 357 caliber 6-shot handgun shooting MagSafe ammo is likely to discourage an attacker, but much less likely to penetrate the hull of the boat. If you really think you need more than 6 shots, or would have time to use them, set up another batch in a speed-loader, or several, one of which could include real bullets for shooting away from the boat.

As others have observed, you should not do ANY of these things unless you are prepared to a) actually shoot someone, b) practice, and c) ensure that you are the only witness around to tell the story to the authorities.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:23   #65

Boat: Boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
He'd use tact....I mean tacks!
Would that be considered a tack-tical maneuver?

I have actually considered using his early warning/deterrent against the most vile of sailboat raiders ever to sneak on deck - the raccoon

Seriously though, I like the spirit of using whatever is necessary (and available) to protect yourself and others.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:47   #66

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSinBKK View Post
There's not a single tool that fits the bill for self-defense.

I think the best defense against long-range real piracy, such as in Somalia, is just to stay out of there. You cannot carry enough weapons, or enough ammo, to keep them at bay if they are determined.
Best advice I've heard yet!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Old 06-05-2009, 06:21   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrsn View Post
They could bark at them and toss beachballs back and forth.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:39   #68

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
For intruders at night I have heard it is effective to use carpets filled with nails (sharp end up) to hide em, I am sure with 1/4" plywood as a backer cut in 12" strips, (so they will fold for stowage) when placed at obvious entry locations on deck is a nasty surprise for barefoot or sandaled thieves. Down side, it is best not to forget they are there if anyone on board decides to go for a stroll in the middle of the night. Unless you do a real good camo job they likely would not work in daylight, cause the would e spotted, by eye, not with blood.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:59   #69

Dark night, lonely and large harbour, only 2 boats at anchor and a fair distance from shore. Time: a little after midnight and me, by-myself. Suddenly out of the other boat come a terrifying woman scream that got me on deck in one jump. Near the lady’s boat and bearing away I notice a small dark boat without any lights. Keeping a watch on the dark boat, just a shadow, I can see that it is making a large circle around my boat. Having just purchased an inflatable which is tied at the stern I have that feelings that the peoples in the dark boat are maybe after my valuable new purchase or something else and decide to go and grab my rifle. My boat is a 43-footer steel centre cockpit with a total thickness of 10mm at the weakest point of the cockpit. By the time I come back in the cockpit the dark boat is just few meters away on the port quarter and without having the time to load the weapon I point it at the boat and shout at the occupants to “piss off”. Instantly the two occupants dive onto the floor to take cover and soon after I hear one of them calling on a radio channel that I was monitoring. “Base base we got a bloke pointing a gun at us what do we do?” and base to reply, “Tell him that you are Customs, we are calling the police.”
It did not take to long for two small alu boats loaded with a dozen of policemen armed to the teeth’s to arrive. Few policemen came on board and took the gun, where very interested to see a boat build by his owner and asked me to go with them to the police station. In the morning they give me back my gun and let me go and on request give me a lift to my boat, after all my inflatable was still behind my boat and it was to far for me to swim. Later on one of these policemen started to build his own boat and I never saw the custom boat again. This was nearly 40 years ago.
Now people on this thread could ask them-selves what would have happen if I had shot first at the dark boat.
In the country where I was born you do not have the right to bear arms, you have the duty to bear arms and of all the soldiers I have met and commanded I never heard any one of them been so keen about guns that these people writing in CF threads about guns. I suppose when dreams become reality things change.
Where I live these days I would not be able to get a licence for an air rifle or a slingshot. So because some of this gun post writers are so keen on guns they should organize some summer vacation on the Somali coast where they could make a real evaluation of their guns and even of some wire guided missiles and on my way to St Tropez, if they get rid of the pirates, I will bring them some ice-creams.
Old 06-05-2009, 18:21   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
When I cast off for my circumnavigation, I plan to have one of these aboard:

I'll warn the natives.
Old 06-05-2009, 18:30   #71

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Instantly the two occupants dive onto the floor to take cover and soon after I hear one of them calling on a radio channel that I was monitoring. “Base base we got a bloke pointing a gun at us what do we do?” and base to reply, “Tell him that you are Customs, we are calling the police.”
Chala Tell me you asked these guys why if they were Customs they didn't radio on the monitor channel to tell you they were there or about to approach your boat?

This would be akin to the local police sneaking through the patio door for no reason. Most places I've lived they would be shot and rightly so.

I'm glad you didn't shoot them, but man they must be some serious idiots!

Old 06-05-2009, 19:50   #72
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
<snip> This was nearly 40 years ago.
Now people on this thread could ask them-selves what would have happen if I had shot first at the dark boat. <snip>
Forty years, huh? I suppose you'd probably be getting out about now.

TaoJones
Old 06-05-2009, 20:21   #73

Drew.ward
“This would be akin to the local police sneaking through the patio door for no reason. Most places I've lived they would be shot and rightly so.”
Sneaking? I think they call it gathering under cover (of darkness ) information’s it is why many country’s do not like guns and would prefer that boaties keep their guns home, they definitely would not appreciate to have their agents shot at, rightly or not.
Old 06-05-2009, 20:21   #74

Boat: it doesn't have a sail so it doesn't count!
pirate

[quote=SaltSeaSailor;279455]If you're the kind a person that will only shoot as a last resort (bad guys on your boat and kicking in the cabin door) the 12 gauge would be highly effective. Specifically the Benelli M4 tactical with 00 or 000 buckshot. Without earplugs you will suffer instant and permanent hearing damage if fired inside a boat cabin.

Hearing damage might be the least of your problems, is firing a shotgun in the cabin of a sailboat very wise? I'd worry about ending up having the pirates pick me up in my raft after the shot......

craig in rainy and windy Seattle
Old 06-05-2009, 20:37   #75

Boat: Boatless
[QUOTE=NW Craig;280769]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltSeaSailor View Post
If you're the kind a person that will only shoot as a last resort (bad guys on your boat and kicking in the cabin door) the 12 gauge would be highly effective. Specifically the Benelli M4 tactical with 00 or 000 buckshot. Without earplugs you will suffer instant and permanent hearing damage if fired inside a boat cabin.

Hearing damage might be the least of your problems, is firing a shotgun in the cabin of a sailboat very wise? I'd worry about ending up having the pirates pick me up in my raft after the shot......

craig in rainy and windy Seattle

Sorry, I don't follow your line of reasoning or basically what you are trying to say.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: