Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2013, 04:57   #1

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
A Better Boarding Ladder

An incident yesterday in calm and anchored conditions make me rethink the actual usefulness of some of the more common side-boarding ladders used by sailboaters.

I have something similar to this:

The "uprights" turn sideways for stowage and two circular fittings lock into deck "keyways". This one replaced a previous model that collapsed under the weight of a "tweenager" (maybe 110 pounds?)

Trying to reboard yesterday, I had one of the standoff legs buckle to one side. The standoff legs were not, in fact, long enough to permit a "90 degree" climb in the first place and I got a set of crumpled toes and a rapid immersion out of the deal. With the aid of a fender rigged as a step, I eventually hoisted myself back aboard. Educational, in a painful and frustrating sort of way.

Basically, despite a hefty price, this ladder has proved to be a cheap piece of crap. I am looking for alternatives that both work and can be stowed flat. I would prefer, given the boat's lines, to have a removable option.

How many people use rope ladders, either a single line with foot loops or a ladder with knots and wooden/plastic "steps"? Is going for the permanently mounted SS tube type (either telescoping or folding) a better option? This boat has relatively low freeboard at midships, and I would prefer something there as opposed to the rather pinched stern.

I would add that had I needed to get board for real, as in a MOB situation, I would have been in real trouble, even with a Lifesling on the rail. As it was, it was mostly just inconvenient and scrape-inducing.

Thanks.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 05:09   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: A better boarding ladder

Maybe these will help.

www.up-n-out.com
www.mysticstainless.com
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 05:13   #3

Rope ladders are an emergency backup. If you are healthy and strong, you can get out but it takes effort and could still be difficult in anything but calm conditions.

I would suggest looking at dive ladders. Far easier to climb. Get one with the extra deep leg. The mounting bracket is small. You pull a pin and the whole ladder comes off.

Anything that is light weight and folds will probably suffer structurally, so there is no free lunch.

As cruisers, we accept that form follows function and have a 3 step ladder that flips up and is held in position by a bungy. It may not look as nice as a ladder that is stowed when not in use but in an emergency, I could swim up give a good yank to overcome the bungy and climb out unassisted.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 05:21   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Rope ladders are an emergency backup. If you are healthy and strong, you can get out but it takes effort and could still be difficult in anything but calm conditions.

I would suggest looking at dive ladders. Far easier to climb. Get one with the extra deep leg. The mounting bracket is small. You pull a pin and the whole ladder comes off.

Anything that is light weight and folds will probably suffer structurally, so there is no free lunch.

As cruisers, we accept that form follows function and have a 3 step ladder that flips up and is held in position by a bungy. It may not look as nice as a ladder that is stowed when not in use but in an emergency, I could swim up give a good yank to overcome the bungy and climb out unassisted.

I would urge boat owners to consider that maybe not everyone on the boat will be as fit as you are -- and that if you were injured badly enough in the fall, you might need the extra help, too. I think rope ladders make great firewood, and I would urge people to get at least a 4 rung ladder. I had one that was collapsable and extremely sturdy on my old boat. My current boat has one built into the rear pulpit, excellent design just for that boat -- and long enough.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 05:35   #5

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I would urge boat owners to consider that maybe not everyone on the boat will be as fit as you are -- and that if you were injured badly enough in the fall, you might need the extra help, too. I think rope ladders make great firewood, and I would urge people to get at least a 4 rung ladder. I had one that was collapsable and extremely sturdy on my old boat. My current boat has one built into the rear pulpit, excellent design just for that boat -- and long enough.
Maybe you could consider a power hoist for when you are badly injured...you could pull yourself up the line you are dragging behind to trip the wheel and after the boat turns into the wind you would then power hoist into the cockpit to treat your bad injuries. I urge everyone to get a power hoist for the unfit.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 05:35   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Alchemy:

Another source:

White Water Marine
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 06:48   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: A Better Boarding Ladder

I built my own from stainless tubing that looks generally like "ladder 2" in the post above, but mine hangs from the toe rail at my genoa track.

It may be difficult to dintinguish the ladder here as it's stowed atop my dinghy davits and under my solar panel. I used pop rivets instead of the allen screws and the wrapped line allows for the steps to be easy on the feet. I made this ladder after the plastic rungs on my cheap folding ladder had broken leaving very sharp edges.
Old 17-07-2013, 06:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Interesting! Thanks. I like the principle of the "outward curve".
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 17-07-2013, 06:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

Good points. I have no problem conceptually with a far more substantial ladder on our other boat...which is 41 feet LOA, made of steel and could bear any size of sturdy ladder wherever we cared to install it...but the "Lake Ontario boat" is an old sloop that I would prefer is left as clean on deck (and stern) as we can. We don't even have gates in the lifelines...as was commented upon by my wife yesterday!
Old 17-07-2013, 06:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I built my own from stainless tubing that looks generally like "ladder 2" in the post above, but mine hangs from the toe rail at my genoa track.

It may be difficult to dintinguish the ladder here as it's stowed atop my dinghy davits and under my solar panel. I used pop rivets instead of the allen screws and the wrapped line allows for the steps to be easy on the feet. I made this ladder after the plastic rungs on my cheap folding ladder had broken leaving very sharp edges.
I have considered making it myself, even by padding an aluminum ladder that I could fabricate a hinge for. Lake Ontario's fresh water allows stuff you can't get away with elsewhere.

Good comments, all. Thanks for the brain fodder.
Old 17-07-2013, 07:10   #11

I built an extension to my boarding ladder out of some PVC and dockline that has been working for me for five years now:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: Boarding ladder extension
Use it for every swim.
Old 17-07-2013, 07:12   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A Better Boarding Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
An incident yesterday in calm and anchored conditions make me rethink the actual usefulness of some of the more common side-boarding ladders used by sailboaters.

I have something similar to this:

The "uprights" turn sideways for stowage and two circular fittings lock into deck "keyways". This one replaced a previous model that collapsed under the weight of a "tweenager" (maybe 110 pounds?)

Trying to reboard yesterday, I had one of the standoff legs buckle to one side. The standoff legs were not, in fact, long enough to permit a "90 degree" climb in the first place and I got a set of crumpled toes and a rapid immersion out of the deal. With the aid of a fender rigged as a step, I eventually hoisted myself back aboard. Educational, in a painful and frustrating sort of way.

Basically, despite a hefty price, this ladder has proved to be a cheap piece of crap. I am looking for alternatives that both work and can be stowed flat. I would prefer, given the boat's lines, to have a removable option.

How many people use rope ladders, either a single line with foot loops or a ladder with knots and wooden/plastic "steps"? Is going for the permanently mounted SS tube type (either telescoping or folding) a better option? This boat has relatively low freeboard at midships, and I would prefer something there as opposed to the rather pinched stern.

I would add that had I needed to get board for real, as in a MOB situation, I would have been in real trouble, even with a Lifesling on the rail. As it was, it was mostly just inconvenient and scrape-inducing.

Thanks.
I see you have a steel boat... weld some bar rungs on her...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 08:02   #13

I used to have a lightweight ladder like that, now I have this thing:

WEST MARINE P012868550 at West Marine

We have the 6 step model which goes well into the water. The hooks are wrapped in 2" white sanitation hose. Because the hooks don't flip it's a pain in the ass to store, but it's solid and we've never had an issue with it. I don't think you can really appreciate the importance of a solid and deep boarding ladder until you've been in a really bucking seaway and needed to board from the water and from a dinghy.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 08:33   #14

A good boarding ladder needs to be ALWAYS ready and deployable from the water. Ours uses a line that can be yanked from the water to allow the ladder to drop down. As an often single hander I find it comforting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010058.jpg
Views:	1045
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	64212  

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 10:37   #15
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
A good boarding ladder needs to be ALWAYS ready and deployable from the water. Ours uses a line that can be yanked from the water to allow the ladder to drop down. As an often single hander I find it comforting.

WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!
: thumb:
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote