Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2013, 20:54   #46

Re: A Better Boarding Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I concur completely. Even with a fair bit of upper body strength, levering oneself not only out of the water from chest level, but against the hull at a greater than 90 degree angle is hard work. Doing it in any kind of a sea would be a nightmare without assistance in the form of a halyard...and then you tempt broken ribs if a wave catches you.

The only solution is steps well below the WL so you can get a decent start, plus sufficient standoffs. The typical pilot ladder manages that, although you will note in the photo the welded in rod that is standing the ladder well off the hull.
The recent HMS Bounty proceedings have shown that we have some work to do before we have a reasonable design as far as flexible ladders go. I find that my feet are well below and inboard the turn of the bilge, or liferaft as the case may be when coming out of the water.

The first step must be low enough for support waist-high in the water. The stand-offs must protect your toes from the hull. And still, you will be lifting most of your weight with your arms until you've climbed to the point where you're completely out of the water. Your center of gravity will be underneath the boat until then.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 00:00   #47

Boat: 1903 36' jarrah cruiser

Yes I agree with a couple of recent comments.
The ability to be able to get aboard when conditions are not favourable or the person is in difficulty should be the bottom line.
Ladders need the bottom step at a depth where the person can easily get a foothold and lift themselves.
I believe that aesthetics should come last. The setup must be strong, easy to deploy, not collapse or be affected by the conditions and allow a wet heavy person possibly clothed to at least have a chance of climbing unaided aboard.
It a long way up from the water side!
Free as a Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:44   #48
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Would you prefer "David Old Jersey" or your real name, sent backchannel via a PM?
David Old Jersey (or DOJ) is fine .

Was not really upset of course . I only cried for an hour .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:05   #49

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
The recent HMS Bounty proceedings have shown that we have some work to do before we have a reasonable design as far as flexible ladders go. I find that my feet are well below and inboard the turn of the bilge, or liferaft as the case may be when coming out of the water.

The first step must be low enough for support waist-high in the water. The stand-offs must protect your toes from the hull. And still, you will be lifting most of your weight with your arms until you've climbed to the point where you're completely out of the water. Your center of gravity will be underneath the boat until then.
So I noted, leading to this discussion. And a renewed interest in ab crunches, frankly. I can't do anything about the numbers on the odometer, but I can give myself better shocks!

My takeaway was that someone with an injured arm or someone not actually strong is going to have a tough time getting back aboard in any kind of weather, and that one's COB drills should reflect and account for this.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:06   #50

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
David Old Jersey (or DOJ) is fine .

Was not really upset of course . I only cried for an hour .
Attribution, this time of the correct kind, has been made. Thanks for your good humour in this, David. It really is a good, useful idea that addresses the "standoffs are too short" issue by eliminating them entirely.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 03:48   #51

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386

What would you do if you added a Monitor Windvane?
DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote