Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2015, 09:44   #16

Re: 41' Searay Stolen from Downtown Kingston Marina

So, I did some research and learned there hasn't been an expensive boat reported stolen in Ontario since a Boston Whaler was stolen on its trailer in Halton Region in 2012. Organized crime doesn't usually happen just once, if these guys are pro enough to Jack a 41' boat, odds are good they make a career of it. Which means, other boats would likely be getting stolen and shipped to Russia- not just this one.

Boat theft seems to be common in BC, which stands to reason, because there are container ports in BC that would allow a stolen boat to be shipped over seas.

There isn't a single container port on the great lakes. The nearest being Montreal, 5 locks away- nobody is locking through on a stolen boat. Montreal is a 3 hour drive away from Kingston. The closest container port in the states I guess would be New Jersey, a 6 hour drive away.

So the storey is- somebody stole a 15 year old boat, and then made a 3 hour drive with it on a trailer to the Port of Montreal through very good Marine Security to be shipped over seas? Why not steal a brand new boat in New York or Montreal?

Me thinks there's a reason we don't read about this on the Great Lakes more often, it doesn't make sense.

I don't think my first pic would be organized crime for this one.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 10:16   #17

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Ten years ago there were a number of large Cigarette-style boats stolen from Rochester and Sodus. One would think these would be hard to hide, but most never were seen again.

I also remember a guy who got divorced, ex-wife wanted the boat, he took it up to Gan until things cleared. Her lawyers and private eyes "hit every marina on the lake" but never found it, though it was hiding in plain sight.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was stolen for the same reason cars are- a joy ride. Take it out, smash it around, when it gets low on fuel pull it into some cove and jump out.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 10:27   #18

It will be used for a drug run, in all likelihood.
Old 14-10-2015, 10:53   #19

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I wonder if it has AIS?
I wonder if the cops are smart enough to check?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 10:58   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
It will be used for a drug run, in all likelihood.
Its a bad choice for a drug run. Very conspicuous. Too big. A big RIB with 100hp would get you anywhere around here faster and without any fuss.

I suspect the wife "stealing" it from a deadbeat husband. Too bad the newspaper didnt do some digging and get us some details.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 11:01   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Its a bad choice for a drug run. Very conspicuous. Too big. A big RIB with 100hp would get you anywhere around here faster and without any fuss.

I suspect the wife "stealing" it from a deadbeat husband. Too bad the newspaper didnt do some digging and get us some details.
But, thats not what they use. They use whatever they can steal that has enough range. We chased plenty of these in OPBAT.
Old 14-10-2015, 11:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

I think this is a good guess too. Or a disgruntled employee or somebody with an ax to grind with the owner.

Who needs the newspaper to do the digging. Isn't that what we're for

It just so happens I'm doing a 70 mile run from Gan to Iroquois this week. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for a suspicious 41' Sea Ray.

Old 14-10-2015, 11:06   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You did the OPBAT thing?
I was in Savannah off and on for years, our Sister unit, Blackhawks did the OPBAT thing, I got to take the guns to Kuwait instead.
Were you there when the Dumb asses killed their wives on a ride?
I was 1/3 Avn, the Blackhawks were 2/3
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 11:25   #24

Quote:
But, thats not what they use. They use whatever they can steal that has enough range. We chased plenty of these in OPBAT.
That's what we're saying, the required "range" is about is about 2000' because that's how wide the river is. There are well organized criminal groups who control the smuggling in the area.

Back an 18' boat into the river on a trailer, fly across the river at 40 or 50 knots to a trailer backed down into the river on the other side and drive away with boat cargo and all.

Using a big Sea Ray for the cargo restricts drop zones. This section of the river is pretty heavily patrolled, you're not losing a tail in a boat that size. Nor can you run it up onto the beach and ditch into the bush.

Just a week or two ago two Chinese aliens drowned when they were thrown from a Sea Do they were making the run on, the smuggler of course survived. Big boat is not the way to go around Kingston for that kind of work.

I had a classmate in college who drowned running a load of booze from south to north, it was a 15 foot boat if I remember right.

Old 14-10-2015, 12:07   #25

No need to re invent the wheel, these smuggling incidents all took place in small fast boats across the St Lawrence. Note in the last story, the 3600 illegals smuggled across the boarder at Cornwall. They use the swamps, shoals and jurisdictional nightmare and fortified islands around Cornwall to elude capture. Only a total amature would use a 41 foot boat around that neck of the woods. If you're out on the water around Cornwall at night, you can hear the big outboards pushing the duck boats loaded down with cigarettes, booze, guns, drugs and illegals, but you can't see them because the lights are off. I realize this is down river a bit from Kingston, but the same rules apply, either out run the authorities or lose them in the swamps and islands is the name of the game.
2 men drown near Cornwall in suspected human smuggling attempt | Toronto Star

Ring Is Cracked in Smuggling Of Illegal Chinese Immigrants - NYTimes.com
Old 14-10-2015, 12:14   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
But, thats not what they use (a big RIB). They use whatever they can steal that has enough range. We chased plenty of these in OPBAT.
OPBAT interdicts drugs en rout Bahamas to USA. Very different from Lake Ontario.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 13:09   #27
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
.... you can hear the big outboards pushing the duck boats loaded down with cigarettes, booze, guns, drugs and illegals, but you can't see them because the lights are off.....
And from personal experience the boats are totally blacked out. Not one bright spec at all. The last time we encountered one it was someone's eyeshine in my searchlight beam that caught my eye. Immediately knew what it was and killed the searchlight. We passed by as if nothing had been seen. Best to mind one's own business out on the river at midnight.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 13:32   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
And from personal experience the boats are totally blacked out. Not one bright spec at all. The last time we encountered one it was someone's eyeshine in my searchlight beam that caught my eye. Immediately knew what it was and killed the searchlight. We passed by as if nothing had been seen. Best to mind one's own business out on the river at midnight.
I've even seen them with black motorcycle helmets on with tinted visors so you can't even see their eyes, especially late in the season.

Heck, even the RCMP boats are painted matt black so they have a snowballs chance in hell of sneaking up on them.

When I sent my links earlier, I meant to send 3. The third was about a collision between a (presumably blacked out) USCBP boat and a blacked out duck boat colliding at speed earlier this year paralyzing the smuggler from the neck down.

Old 14-10-2015, 17:22   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Yes, unless something has changed, the local smuggling route is Clayton to Quebec Head. Once on Wolfe Island, you're home free and can take the ferry the rest of the way, a big power boat like that would offer way too much exposure compared to a 5 minute crossing in an open boat moving at 40 knots.

No, they get it airdropped between Grand Cayman and Jamacia, then run it to "the Claw" in Haiti to refuel. Then it's up the old Bahama Channel to the U.S.

Google OPBAT. That's why it exists.
Old 14-10-2015, 17:25   #30

Quote:
No, they get it airdropped between Grand Cayman and Jamacia, then run it to "the Claw" in Haiti to refuel. Then it's up the old Bahama Channel to the U.S.

Google OPBAT. That's why it exists.
Lol, me thinks its you that needs to google. Search parameter "Kingston, Ontario, Canada".