Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 10:16   #16

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: 3 non sailors and seasickness

@Charlie and ID ..... Apparently the makers of Relief Band (Aeromedix RX) have discontinued that model and have a new model:

Reletex Anti-Nausea Device

The new device is the Reletex. Interesting the way it stops peristalic waves. A word of caution, if you stop peristalic waves for too long you can become constipated, so just eat plenty of fruit and the post-delivery party.

I think I am going to have to order one of these. Thanks ID.
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:21   #17

Boat: Cape Dory Typhoon

One thing I’ve noticed with a few people is that they tend to stiffen up, trying to not move. I try to get them to relax their hips and ‘ride ‘the boat like a horse or balancing seated on a ball. If they are letting their hips take most of the motion their heads and inner ear have less movement.
Not a cure but helps those who are a bit queasy.
Neecer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:29   #18

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neecer View Post
One thing I’ve noticed with a few people is that they tend to stiffen up, trying to not move. I try to get them to relax their hips and ‘ride ‘the boat like a horse or balancing seated on a ball. If they are letting their hips take most of the motion their heads and inner ear have less movement.
Not a cure but helps those who are a bit queasy.
Very good point, being in motion with the ocean is a much better thing. That is why being at the helm is so good. Of course, you really only need one person at the helm, so if you can get them to stand and surf along, great.

On poster on another thread, said he would get his crew to dance on the boat, moving with the ocean, and it worked.
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:33   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

RE: Relief Bands -- you will see stuff on the market that says they apply pressure to the acupressure points, but that is NOT what I'm talking about! The devices that have been scientifically tested (for chemo patients, where nausea is often a problem), are active units that send a small electric pulse to the acupressure point. I think ours cost about $80. (Cheap when you're in the moment!) They also require some conductive gel. It takes a bit of experimentation to find the right stimulation level for the individual. It is a strange sensation, sort of like "pins and needles" (but not as uncomfortable) for a bit, but nowhere near as uncomfortable as seasickness! Also, at least for me, after a bit of time it seemed to result in the nausea just going away, and not returning.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:37   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Couple View Post
Interesting the way it stops peristalic waves. A word of caution, if you stop peristalic waves for too long you can become constipated, so just eat plenty of fruit and the post-delivery party.
Talk about being caught between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea! "Honey, we did put some prunes on board, didn't we?"

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:55   #21

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Hoskins View Post
Only 1 sure cure for sea sickness

Stand under a tree!

I think it would hard to take it below deck in rough seas, dont you? Unless its a little tree?
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:00   #22

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

All I know about sea sickness, is watch what you eat and drink before sailing!! The two times Ive been sea sick were both caused by my own stupidiy! once I OVER indulged with Booze the night before leaving San Francisco, and the Potato Patch got me !the other time my Father got me good, I was leaving at daylight to deliver a 44 ft power Boat to Seattle from Eureka CA. And he got up and cooked me breakfast !! great Dad!! He made me his own home butcherd pig side meat !!and sunny side uo eggs, now I can eat eggs anyway, but I found out side meat eaten to excess will make for Powerfull sea sickness 3 days it did me in then it was over ! since then I have carried 2 or 3 sea sick remidies on board any vessel im aboard ! I have a much better idea what it's like to have the feeling of wondering if it will ever end !! be careful with you friend sea sickness can be Bad !! just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:32   #23

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

I spent the first day of a seven day dive charter vomiting (and worse) . The second day I was better....I thought. I learnd that you can vomit thru a scuba regulator at 100 feet and it will still work just fine.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:51   #24

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
I spent the first day of a seven day dive charter vomiting (and worse) . The second day I was better....I thought. I learnd that you can vomit thru a scuba regulator at 100 feet and it will still work just fine.
OMG! How did you keep from drowning?
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:59   #25

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Any thoughts on the "vision" aspect. Under similar conditions. I find myself feeling queasy earlier with my progressive specs, than with my older style bi-focals. It may have something to do with the peripheral vision distortion?
Old 03-02-2012, 18:32   #26

Personally, I am EXTREMELY prone to seasickness. Happens almost every voyage, if it gets any rougher than light chop. The thing is, it's no big deal. I stand my watches, do my work, heave an offering over the side if I have to, and then get back to sailing. It usually only lasts for half a day or so. I know it's coming and I don't worry about it. When I'm done I clean it up.

Point is, if the guy has a good attitude about it (and it kind of sounds like he does) he may be like me. He may just up-chuck a few times, without having it really disrupt his ability to function and do his share of the work.

I know that it completely incapacitates some people, but for some of us it is just a minor inconvenience.

Oh yeah, and it was Lord Admiral Nelson--probably Britain's greatest naval hero and a chronic sufferer of seasickness--who said that the best cure was two hours spent sitting under a tree.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 19:31   #27
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Couple

Sea sickness is so rough to deal with, but it doesn't keep me off the water. Suggestions:
1. No alcohol the night before or on sail day one.

2. Day one ... drink Gatorade-type drink only.

3. Do not eat four hours before sailing and then, only have light carbohydrates that are easy to digest. Do not eat again until after your first night's sleep .... and just have the hydration beverage for calories and nutrition on sail day one. Again, do not eat on day one.

4. Stay on deck and do not go below for anything, except the head -- and if there is some way to make to elsewhere -- do it. LOL (I love to be the hostess and get drinks and food for everyone and I have had to give that up!)

5. Stay active, sailing, on the boat -- at the helm is best.

6. Use Bonine, Dramamine, Scopolamine, or whatever works. If you use Bonine or Dramamine, take it the day before you sail and again two hours before getting on the boat and continue to take it through the days you need it.

7. Ginger works for a great deal of people, including me. Start eating is 2 hours before the sail and through the sail. You can buy candied ginger candy online or at Asian stores (online is easier) and Alton Brown has a great recipe online for making it (easy).

Finally, I know this seems like a lot ..... but most people (including me) are fine after the first night of sleep. My husband and I have started leaving later and sailing a half day on day one, sleep, and then I am good to go. When I violate my own plan above .... it is not a good day on the s/v Vanora.

I hope this helps. Believe me, I understand!

Have fun!
While I agree wholeheartedly with 1-3, 4 & 5 are more problematic especially on longer voyages. I don't recommend the off watch crew sit in the cockpit anyway, best below.

But I have seen seasick people develop the symptoms of hypothermia because they wouldn't go below. Actually in my experience lying down below and closing your eyes helps quite a bit as it removes one sense of the movement.

Some people struggle continuously with sea sickness and you would have to ask why they go to sea.

Dave
Old 16-04-2012, 18:21   #28

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: 3 Non Sailors and Seasickness

Anyone know of a source for the original Reletex with replaceable batteries? Apparently the new model is disposable and the batteries can't be replaced. Not so good for voyaging...
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 19:11   #29

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Some of the worst sailing I have had has been between Morrow Bay and San Francisco, in the month of July. You are traveling in March when the potentatial for some serious storms is ever present. That part of California can be wicked and unforgiving...

Taking a novice crew up the coast of California is not the place for someone to learn the joys of sailing...

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 19:34   #30
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

the relief band (looks like a watch) works very well for my wife. put it on before you leave. move it around until you feel the pulsing. after 20 minutes or less you don't feel it anymore. my wife has even slept with her's on.

ginger cookies and pressure band did nothing for her. after a day at sea she is fine unless the wave motion really picks up. then you've got to get the relief band on fast.