Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2010, 14:10   #1

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
2009 USCG Annual Accident Report

The USCG's Office of Auxiliary and Boating Safety announced its 2009 Recreational Boating Statistics report earlier this month. The report states a total of 4,730 accidents recorded by the CG in 2009 caused 736 deaths, over 3,300 injuries and about $36 million in property damage. The top 5 contributing factors to the accidents included boat operator inattention and inexperience, excessive speed, improper lookout and alcohol consumption. DUI was the leading factor in 16% of deaths. In addition, a full 86% of boat operators involved in fatal accidents had not received boat safety instruction. "Nearly 75% of the 736 people who died in boating accidents in 2009 drowned, and 84% of those victims reportedly were not wearing a life jacket," said Rear Adm. Kevin Cook, the CG's director of prevention policy. "The 2 most important things boaters can do to prevent the loss of life is to wear a life jacket and take a boater education course

You can read the full article here 2009 USCG Annual Accident Report | BoatTEST.com

Sail boats are once again very low in the ranking of vessels where a death was involved.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 23:38   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Good stuff fishwife.
Thanks.
I still cant bring myself to wear a life jacket unless the weather gets fairly extreme.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident